Menu

My rant about some people's teens (and yes, this is primarily JAWM)

Disclaimer - I'm sure that no one here has teens who act like this or know any teens they care about who do. I also do not know the teen in question's educational choice so that is not an issue. ;)

Zumba at the Y comes right after basketball in the gym. Often the teens don't want to clear out for us and do so grudgingly but still with some good grace despite it all. Tonight was an exception. There was a very aggressive young man in the mix - a leader who galvanized the others behind him. When we came in and started to test the speakers (a necessary precursor to class) he came up and started to yell about us trying to kick them out early. I told him to chill (but in nicer language)- that we were just getting ready. I'm not the instructor but he was focused on me so I spoke up. He was grumbling loudly but backed off. Technically we could have kicked them out - their slot for the gym was up 15 min. before our class but we weren't making a big deal out of it.

Two minutes before Zumba was supposed to start we had about 15 people stacked up in the hall and more coming. The instructor asked the young men politely to leave. This teen came barreling toward her, shouting that she couldn't have the court two minutes early (a technicality since our time to start was in two minutes but we still needed some time for people to file in and put down water bottles and find their spots but like I said, technically they should have been out before then anyway.) She didn't really know what to do and I could see the boy escalating so I suggested that we go down to the front desk and let them settle the issue.

I went down with the teens since I had suggested it. A man in our Zumba class came too (he told me later for protection!) The teen figuratively shot himself in the foot by shouting when he was still about ten feet away from the desk about how the "B- I mean, instructor made us get out of the gym two minutes early!" The rest of the teens were there (about four of them) giving little "Yeahs!" now and then but letting this boy take the lead.

Fortunately one of the directors was there and tried to talk to the teen but the teen kept shouting him down and walking away so I think it was pretty easy for him to see the situation. I took one of the supervisors to the side, told my side quietly and left them to deal with it. The man who came down from Zumba gave his side as a witness as well.

Compared to some issues I've had back when I taught high school it was tame but it did start the adrenaline pumping a little. The man who had come down with me from the Zumba class was disgusted that other than talking to the teens, the Y did nothing. He really thought that they should kick the ring leader out for a period of time - a suspension of sorts. I found myself shaking my head a bit - even in my rebellious youth I had more respect for adults in general.

What does being a teen have to do with it? It is rotten intimidating behavior regardless of whether one is 15, 25, 35, 45, or even 75.

If this is first time the offender has had to be reminded about the rules, then I think the Y did what they should have. If it happens again, they should just prohibit him either for a set time period or permanently.

Oops, I forgot he used foul language. Yep, at least a suspension from Y is in order.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Between this and the aide on the bus, makes me think something is in the air. You may be upset at the Y, and I would be too, maybe you should explain to them how upset and maybe scared you were of this teen. Perhaps with you being so calm, they didn't know how bad you all felt the situation was.

I got a little anxious just reading your post! I've got a picture in my head of a young man who might have done just what you described and I'm scared thinking about it.

You handled it well. I hope it doesn't become an issue again. I guess if they are there next time and not moving out 10 minutes before class, you might involved the staff then, rather than try confronting them yourselves.

What does being a teen have to do with it? It is rotten intimidating behavior regardless of whether one is 15, 25, 35, 45, or even 75.

If this is first time the offender has had to be reminded about the rules, then I think the Y did what they should have. If it happens again, they should just prohibit him either for a set time period or permanently.

Oops, I forgot he used foul language. Yep, at least a suspension from Y is in order.

He only started to use foul language - the way I typed it was the way he said it - just the "B" sound and then the substitution but of course it was clear what he was thinking! The thing is, they didn't even take his name so there is no record that he specifically had a warning - unless the same people were there and remembered.

I got a little anxious just reading your post! I've got a picture in my head of a young man who might have done just what you described and I'm scared thinking about it.

You handled it well. I hope it doesn't become an issue again. I guess if they are there next time and not moving out 10 minutes before class, you might involved the staff then, rather than try confronting them yourselves.

Yeah. I bet if we do see him again someone will just go down to the desk and get someone. There is a core of young people that we see in the gym and "know". They have never remotely been as aggressive as this boy. We've never seen this boy before. The confrontation tonight was really because he was getting in our face, not because we were seeking him out, iykwim. I've learned (whether erroneously or not, I don't know) to stand up as tall as I can if they get in my face and show no fear but to not escalate things myself with my own emotions.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Between this and the aide on the bus, makes me think something is in the air. You may be upset at the Y, and I would be too, maybe you should explain to them how upset and maybe scared you were of this teen. Perhaps with you being so calm, they didn't know how bad you all felt the situation was.

After Zumba was over, I looked to see if I could see the people who were in charge when all this went down but I didn't see them. I'm sure they leave earlier than our Zumba class gets out. I know the people there at the Y very well and I go there 6 days a week so I'll look out for them and talk to them another time when I'm in.

(I wasn't really upset though - just a bit wary of how it was going to go down.)