Menu

HW suggestions for K5 twins, 1 left handed

Nonie

I would like some advice on which handwriting program to start my twins in this year. They will be 5 in July. I have not given them any formal writing instruction. Yes, I know they "could" already know how to write, but they number 5 and 6 in my house and why rock the boat!

My daughter is the lefty and colors beautifully!!! My son is right handed and seems to have average/good coloring skills. I have used Abeka manuscript for my other 4 children and it has worked well. I do have one daughter entering the 7th grade that simply has poor HW. We tried HWT when she was in the first grade and it didn't work at all. She cried over the fact that some of the letters didn't look right.

I am just wondering if any of you moms have advice for me since this is my first left handed child.

Thanks

Nonie

DD 9th grade

DD 7th grade

DD 5th grade

DD 3rd grade

TWINS DD & DS K5

I am just wondering if any of you moms have advice for me since this is my first left handed child.

I am left handed and so is my daughter. For lefties, I like how Handwriting Without Tears is set up. In many workbooks that I looked at, there would be an example letter at the beginning of the line for the student to copy. As a left hander, as soon as the student begins to write, they cover up that example with their hand. HWT is designed so the student can always see the example. Here's a sample page from their site:

http://cdn.hwtears.com/downloads/ln.pdf

Edited by icedlatte

No matter what program you use, I would suggest looking at the info on Peterson's Directed Handwriting website as there is a great section on what to do with left handed kids. Both of my twins are lefties and I'm using this with them with no issues so far...they love it!

http://www.peterson-handwriting.com/training_tools/lefthanded.html

I hope that link works, but if not, the info is listed on their website under "Training Tools".

Brenda