Menu

City and the Cable Company - a vent

It's a good thing I live next to a public library with free wireless, because as of Wednesday morning I have no phone, cable TV or internet access except for my cell and the wireless from the public library. The city was working on the utilities and cut through the cable line. The cable company says they can't repair it without replacing ALL our cable lines, as we have older lines from when the house was built 40 years ago. They won't replace those without me paying upfront - to the tune of $200. Which I don't have right now :glare: We JUST managed to get the amount needed to keep our house off the foreclosure sale list on the 3rd.

Would it be totally wrong of me to send the city the bill and ask to be reimbursed? After all - they dug without having the cable lines marked.

Would it be totally wrong of me to send the city the bill and ask to be reimbursed? After all - they dug without having the cable lines marked.

I wouldn't sent them a bill, (just yet), but I would call the city first. Where did this happen, on your lot or public property? Finally, no matter what the cable company says, you should make sure you aren't being billed for those days you are without service.

Does the city know they cut your lines? I would call now and make sure they are aware of what happened. After that you will have a better idea of if you can get them to pay or not.

I wouldn't sent them a bill, (just yet), but I would call the city first. Where did this happen, on your lot or public property? Finally, no matter what the cable company says, you should make sure you aren't being billed for those days you are without service.

The city knows it happened and that they did it. It happened on my property, but between the sidewalk and the curb which is supposed to be city responsibility according to both the cable company and the city. The issue isn't really with the city - it's with the cable company. They are requiring me to replace ALL of my cable wiring going to the house, which of course isn't on the area the city is responsible for, in order to fix the spot where the city cut through the wires.

The city knows it happened and that they did it. It happened on my property, but between the sidewalk and the curb which is supposed to be city responsibility according to both the cable company and the city. The issue isn't really with the city - it's with the cable company. They are requiring me to replace ALL of my cable wiring going to the house, which of course isn't on the area the city is responsible for, in order to fix the spot where the city cut through the wires.

But you would not be having to replace all of the cable wiring if the city had not cut your line. If you had chosen to upgrade your system, then yes, you should pay. However, you did not chose to upgrade! They city's mistake plus the cable company rule is forcing you. Not your fault. I would fight it.

A house that is having cable installed for the first time (no previous cable) doesn't even have to pay that kind of money. Why on earth are they trying to make you pay. Call them back and tell them you're going to speak w/ an attorney, and in the meantime you are keeping track of how many days you are without service, and won't be paying for those days. I bet they fix it asap.

The city knows it happened and that they did it.

Who in "the city" have you talked to? The big guys who cut the cable? The city's insurer? The risk manager? San Antonio is a big place, and I'm sure the left hand doesn't know what the other 20 left hands are doing.