Menu

So have you ever bought to much for a specific subject??

The question is, have I ever NOT bought too much for a specific subject? The answer is no. I usually go crazy trying to use everything, when if I narrowed it down we would probably get more done. Can I over come this? I doubt it.

The question is, have I ever NOT bought too much for a specific subject? The answer is no. I usually go crazy trying to use everything, when if I narrowed it down we would probably get more done. Can I over come this? I doubt it.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::lol::lol::lol:

In moments of extreme stress during planning/scheduling, I have been known to empty all the shelves in the schoolroom, then pull back only one resource for every subject. After that is underway successfully, I reach for the supplements. So, basically I use the baker's philosophy of mixing in each egg one at a time to make sure everything is fully incorporated. :tongue_smilie:

I guess as a person who has SEVEN Algebra I books on her shelf, I have to answer yes to this one :D

I think I overbuy for the subjects I am most nervous about teaching.

:lol:

I do it with the subjects I'm most nervous about teaching and the ones I'm most excited about teaching and the ones I'm most bored with teaching and the ones I'm most sick of teaching...

:iagree: This is me. It is a sign of a tru curriculum junkie :lol: Heck my big kids are doing some online classes next year where the full curric is provided and I have *still* managed to buy some things for those courses for them.

ummm, most definitely yes! :blush: This year I bought all the books for SL Core C AND all the books for Biblioplan year 2. I kept changing my mind! :o:leaving::blink:

And now, well, I should sell some, but I might need them one day?!? :willy_nilly:

I have way too many Language Arts materials at the first grade level. I'm thinking now that they'll move through it too quickly for it all to be useful.

I think I also buy too much and too far ahead for math, but at least the boys are at different levels so if I don't use it for my older son, my younger son might still be able to use it.

I am going to start planning dd's 5th grade biology today and I got all the books I got for it. Ummm, well, lets just say I didn't realize how much I got for it until I had them all out ready for planning. :001_huh:

This should be interesting :lol:

I have an obscene amount of biology resources stocked up. I have been attempting to organize and plan it for weeks-- I have waaaaay too much and am trying to pare it down so that I don't drive the kids mad, or end up at the end of 12 months give or take and find out the best stuff hasn't even been touched yet (not that we have to cut off at that time, but they might get frustrated after too long on one broad topic). I'm a little too enthusiastic about my favorite topic, methinks :)

I do it with the subjects I'm most nervous about teaching and the ones I'm most excited about teaching and the ones I'm most bored with teaching and the ones I'm most sick of teaching...

Yes.

This year I did it with (among other things) literature book packs for Heart of Dakota. I know that you are only supposed to buy one book pack, but they offer boy/girl/classic sets. Well, I just had to make sure we have all of them. :tongue_smilie:

I think last year I had 5 history books, 3 spelling programs...this year I way overdid it on the science...you all know how it goes.

Yes.

This year I did it with (among other things) literature book packs for Heart of Dakota. I know that you are only supposed to buy one book pack, but they offer boy/girl/classic sets. Well, I just had to make sure we have all of all of them. :tongue_smilie:

You're just building your home library. Happy reading.:001_smile:

The question is, have I ever NOT bought too much for a specific subject?

This is word for word the response I'd formulated. :D

Yes! Stay tuned for my future "combining BFSU, RSO, MPAH and Ellen McHenry Science + supplements thread." No, I would be too embarrassed to post that!

I actually end up making too much work for myself by trying to do it all. Yet I feel like I don't want to miss anything important/interesting/cool. See, I can't even pick one adjective! :lol:

Yet I feel like I don't want to miss anything important/interesting/cool. See, I can't even pick one adjective! :lol:

Are you guys familiar with the Myers-Briggs Typology Theory? We are "Perceivers" as opposed to "Judgers", which means we prefer options, more input, ideas, and are generally open-ended as opposed to those who prefer to make decisions and narrow-down choices and options.

We are the *hunters and gathers of information and ideas*...and we RULE (imho). :D

:lol: Same here! Too much grammar can kill you :tongue_smilie:

This is me too...except math. There's no such thing as too many math programs, right? :001_huh: Well, that and literature.

I'm finding that I keep adding great stuff with each child. Poor ds #4...

The question is, have I ever NOT bought too much for a specific subject?

This describes me in a sentence. :lol:

I've settled on some things I like for middle school, but I could probably open an elementary school with everything I've bought for next year, and I'm not even finished!

Are you guys familiar with the Myers-Briggs Typology Theory? We are "Perceivers" as opposed to "Judgers", which means we prefer options, more input, ideas, and are generally open-ended as opposed to those who prefer to make decisions and narrow-down choices and options.

We are the *hunters and gathers of information and ideas*...and we RULE (imho). :D

Thanks for making it sound so great;

I'll have to try that one out on my husband, "honey, I'm just being perceptive, not judgmental..." ;)

I am going to start planning dd's 5th grade biology today and I got all the books I got for it. Ummm, well, lets just say I didn't realize how much I got for it until I had them all out ready for planning. :001_huh:

Before I try to think of my answer I'd like to clarify the meaning of the question.

By "too much", do you mean the amount is overwhelming for the children and therefore actually counterproductive, causing less to be learned, or do you mean that you got more than you will use and it was thus a waste of money, or it will actually be good to have all those things available to you, to be able to draw from, and perhaps even to refresh your own understanding, but you feel kind of embarrassed by how much you have, or too much meaning just more than one program when one would probably do fine????

Um, yeah, I did a lot of overkill purchasing this year, to be fair, it was my first time with unboxed curriculum :tongue_smilie:

I purchased 1-4 of ETC Books, as WELL as all the half versions!

Write Source

Wordly Wise

and goodness knows what else. ;)

Considering I changed my thoughts from ETC to purchasing AAR, found out WWE is enough, and the WW was just too lengthy for the return I'd be getting (lessons dragged on to learn a couple of words), well, oh well. I told DH it was part of my research and development, and the more I spend on that, the more I understand what I do need :lol:

Consequently I uber-slimmed my plans for next year, dragging it back to the basics, I showed him and said "see? the R&D already saved you money!" :D

Now i just have to get the time and the inclination to list all the stuff in my "to sell" box. Of which....you know....I could be doing now, but instead am prattling on here :tongue_smilie:

Me too!!!

I have almost every phonics product!!!! I need to sell most of it!

I found BJU Science Gr 3 & 4 at a used sale for $5 each. And the 5th gr text for $5. DS is using their Life Science next year, so I thought, Why not get it for the girls, too. Then I got home and dd insisted that she was going to be in 5th grade next year, not 4th. So the 4th set wouldn't do, even though it was almost complete. So I needed the rest of the 5th set. Then I realized that I have God's Design for physical world & God's design for Chemistry. Oh yeah, we were going to do Chemistry next year. But dd wants to do bJu because it has a hamster on the front. So that's what we'll do. I also have the Apologia elementary books on the shelf. So I could school elementary science for many years without buying anything else.

I guess as a person who has SEVEN Algebra I books on her shelf, I have to answer yes to this one :D

:D:D

I have key to, Jacob,forester, chalk dust ! Aops, nem algebra. I guess 1 less than u?. I am convinced that my younger will use the other 5 curriculum

Edited by jennynd

I've never understood those moms who can just buy one text for each subject and be done. :001_huh:

No, I have to buy a boxed curriculum with a huge book list. Then add to it. Then tweak it. Then add manipulatives and hands on projects. Then tweak it some more. Then add supplements and enrichment. Then look at everything and realize there's too much and go back and take some stuff out. Then find something I like better and substitute. And so on and so on.

Count me in.... I have a FIRST grader, and a K4.

I have MCT, I have LOE, I have IEW, I have scholastic books (writing curriculum, myths, legends, fairy tales.... and more), I have ETC, FLL, Word Fun..... and that's JUST Language Arts. And I plan on USING it.

Then there is math, with Saxon, Dreambox, xtramath, games, and I am thinking about adding in something singapore-Y. Or maybe Beast Academy. I'm proud of myself that I haven't bought BA yet.... but we are officially doing second grade math, soooo..... it may be time ;-)

Social Studies is not so bad.

Science would be if I could find something I liked enough to splurge on. Right now we basically only have BFSU, and some scholastic stuff.

The arts.... don't even ask. :-P

I'm an addict in the worst way!

:leaving:

Yes, I usually buy too much for history. We never get around to reading all the books, but with such a bad library and having to buy all my curriculum at once in the summer, I don't know any way around it. It's just too hard to plan exactly how long each book will take without looking at it first. Oh well, I figure they'll get read eventually even if not for the year they were purchased.

I keep telling myself that I don't actually have to buy anything for this year because I bought so much last year that we didn't get to.

But then...oooh, is that a new spelling program I see over there? Maybe I would like it. The samples look good and it's pretty cheap.... :lol:

I am going to start planning dd's 5th grade biology today and I got all the books I got for it. Ummm, well, lets just say I didn't realize how much I got for it until I had them all out ready for planning.

I did too and I blame you :) I read a lot of your posts and picked some of the same things...

(That would be a "Yes.")

I buy too much for the subjects I am most excited about teaching and studying. I think I am reliving my childhood and giving myself the education I so wish our school system would have given me. :glare:

I never read Charlotte's Web or even heard of Anne of Green Gables growing up. Don't even ask how many literature programs I have on my bookshelves. Thankfully DS loves reading and talking about books. :D

History? I grew up in an area Lewis and Clark traveled through, yet didn't realize that until just a few years ago. Last year I found my state history project from my childhood and found proof that we didn't study them. :glare: (How can a state history study not include Lewis and Clark?!) We have an entire shelf full of books about the explorers, which we will - hopefully - use next year.

We use two history programs because I have found that I am so fascinated with it and love the idea of using 'living books' instead of textbooks.

Art history? Poetry? Yup. We could study them for several years w/o buying a single new resource.

Science? I minored in science in college and have always regretted that I didn't do that as my major. DS has always wanted to be a scientist or engineer, so he needs a good solid science background, right? So that justifies all the science programs we own - and use. :D

I know that much of what I overbuy is on things I want to learn. I have heard that to streamline our homeschool, I should pull those topics out and just study them myself and not actually teach them. But I have an only child and he enjoys these topics as much as I do. Plus, I drag him along to art museums all the time, so he might as well study art history with me so he can get more out of the exhibits. Right? See I can justify everything.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

I don't know. Is combining MCT, WWE, and Bravewriter too much for language arts? Or MM, Beast Academy, Noble Knights of Knowledge, Living Math, and Afterwards: Folk and Fairy Tales with Mathematical Ever Afters too much for math? Or RSO, BFSU, Mr Q, and a bunch of free resources from online too much for science? Most of our other subjects are just as bad. We use most of it, though, and it works for us. My bank balance just thinks it's too much!

Yes! Stay tuned for my future "combining BFSU, RSO, MPAH and Ellen McHenry Science + supplements thread." No, I would be too embarrassed to post that!

I actually end up making too much work for myself by trying to do it all. Yet I feel like I don't want to miss anything important/interesting/cool. See, I can't even pick one adjective! :lol:

:lol: You are too funny, love it!

I think this is me. I am saving up to buy Whistlefritz complete program but then I see Salsa for free with their stuff....but then the stupid lesson plans confuse me. Then I see supplemental workbooks for Spanish and Dora and Diego Learn Spanish and then all of a sudden I don't know where to start anymore because I have so much SPANISH!

I'm in a swift uptick of anxiety over 5th grade. I am on the verge of losing sleep over it, and that is a very rare event in my life. I sat bolt upright at 5 a.m., after spending yesterday evening trying to sort out geography for next year, and started culling ALL (well, almost all) K-4 material off my shelves. I filled 8 shopping bags full of books to sell at Half Price and 4 they won't take (they don't take ex-library books). A quick dash up to the store as it was closing and I got $75 for the 8 bags.

I felt .... free, until I came in the computer room and realized I completely missed a set of shelves that covers most of a wall.

(The guy did say it was the "best" set of books he'd seen that day. But maybe he says that to all the harried middle aged women who bring in kid books. I also had the *pleasure* of seeing a co worker there, a person I didn't expect to see in a bookstore, with 3 kids all with their noses in books, a sight that warmed my heart.)

I was good and did NOTHING the last 2 days (almost nothing else) but scheduled her biology! I am done with the outline. Now I need to look double check (make sure chapter/unit/section headings fit the outline) and I am gonna type it up! I went totally neurotic and got in the zone. I stayed up til 2am yesterday :lol:

Alteast I am not alone!

I don't think I've ever bought too much for a specific subject; but I would admit to having checked out more library books at one time that I needed for a subject. This happens when

a) I've no good idea of how I'm going to teach the event

b) I've got a good idea and the library book I want isn't available.

c) I've got a good idea and the books on the shelf look better than what I had in mind.

d) I have a significant gap in my knowledge base and want to increase my depth.

I can only imagine how much it would cost me to buy more than I need because the above happens every week!:blush: