Menu

Acadia Nat'l Park - where to stay?

It's kind of a big area, and it depends on what you are looking for. Do you want to stay right near the park entrance, (which would be Bar Harbor) or are you looking to stay somewhere cheaper but not too far (which would be like Ellsworth, 20 minutes away but has stuff like Walmart). Ellsworth has a Ramada Inn and a Hampton Inn. Bar Harbor has more expensive hotels, and B&B's. There are also other nice quaint areas like Southwest Harbor. It depends on what you want to do and what kind of experience you want up there.

We went about 4 yrs ago. I think we stayed in either Town Hill or Somesville. I can't remember but it was right on Rt 3 and we wanted to be as close as possible to Acadia. We stayed in a rental home for a week. I wouldn't recommend the house we stayed in as it wasn't very kid friendly (lots of beautiful antiques). My husband picked it out and I learned my lesson about letting him choose accommodations for the family ;) In looking at the map I think it must have been Somesville because our house was across from the harbor and we enjoyed going out there when the tide was out. And, we were right near Eagle Lake Rd. The kids could walk to the bookstore or ice cream shop in town...that was nice too.

Even if you don't want to camp check out the ranger talks in Blackwoods campground in the evenings. They have a really nice outdoor ampitheater and the Park Rangers do a really good job with the programs. You don't have to be camping there to go. I believe the talks go through the second week in September.