Menu

Favorite Board Games

We're setting out for a week with the WHOLE family (in-laws and in-laws OF in-laws!) at a group of cabins on the lake. There will be multiple generations, grandparents down to an 8 week old.

Suggestions for board or card games that can be enjoyed by many ages? Kid only or adult only games are fine, but "everybody" games would be great!

I basically have either (a) really educational games (i.e. memorize multiplication tables or use parts of speech) or (b) really old games (i.e. Trivial Pursuit from the '80's), so I'm clearly in need of an update!

Apples to Apples (there is a Jr. version). Banangrams (ok, I don't have this one, but everyone here loves it and says it can be played by many ages). Scattergories card game. Deck of plain cards for go fish, gin, rummy, etc. A set of Mexican Train Dominoes. Parchesi. Monopoly. hth

How many do you want to play simultaneously?

What's worked for us:

For Sale~simple trading card game

Bang!~spaghetti western game

Wits & Wagers~like trivial pursuit but the trivia doesn't matter, the betting does

Faces~a lot like Apples to Apples but with old pictures of faces

Incan Gold~press your luck game

Bohnanza~trading game, easy for most ages

Word on the Street~teams spelling against each other to win letters

Saboteur~tunneling to gold, but one of the group is playing against you

Blokus~very strategic shape placing

Dominion~card collecting game where everyone builds their kingdoms

Pandemic~cooperative game where you try to stop an outbreak and cure disease

Carcassone~tile laying game, creating roads, cities, and monasteries

Dixit is also really fun, but its hard for kids under 10. They don't understand how to pull something out of the card to make it abstract. The art is unusual and fun.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: Different versions out there with different rules. Start with USA or maybe even Europe and then try the fancier versions (Asia, Germany, Switzerland).

We also like Apples to Apples Jr (the Jr version doesn't have things like "Burt Reynolds" that adults know but kids don't, but isn't really babyish).

And we like Carcasonne (sp?).

Uno is basic, but fun.

I had forgotten about Apples to Apples. Definitely checking out that one!

And thank you so much - love getting suggestions for games I'm not familiar with. Since rain is on the forecast, I'm going to be one popular lady when I whip some of these out :)

Based on board recommendations, I recently purchased Pandemic. Very cool cooperative game! All players help one another so I can see where kids can play too. We'll be playing that one on a regular basis, I'm sure.

Oh, and Taboo is really fun too. You have to give clues to your team to guess words without saying any of the taboo words on the cards. Like if you're trying to say 'address' you probably couldn't use street or blvd. It's challenging, but a great game for a group of people.

Farkle is a favorite dice game of our family. We also love Apples to Apples...just got the junior version today! Uno Stacko or Jenga are a lot of fun with a group. PayDay and Life are family faves...even though you can only have 4 players.

We play lots of card games too...Bunco, Golf, Peon. I'm sure you can find instructions for all these online.

How many do you want to play simultaneously?

What's worked for us: ...

I like LostSurprise's list!

Wits and Wagers is a lot of fun for a bigger group like you will have.

Fastrack is a game that's been a big hit here lately. It is a two player http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Orange-480-Fastrack-Ready/dp/B004P0ZGDMgame that takes about a minute to learn and a couple of minutes to play. It was a hit with old and young alike. Kids will likely be better at it than grown ups and that's a bonus too.

Yahtzee free for all http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Brothers-40616-Yahtzee-Free/dp/B0017RSYDU/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1340420684&sr=1-1&keywords=yahtzee+free+for+all works well with many ages.

Spinner is a fun dominoes game that is very easy to learn for people of widely varying ages and it works well with a bigger group. http://www.amazon.com/Puremco-Spinner-Game-Wild-Dominoes/dp/B000BBSA0U/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1340420989&sr=1-1&keywords=spinner

UNO is huge in our family. (They will put 2 or 3 decks together and have 10-15 people playing.)

There is also a game called Camp that is set up for multi-generational/age level play. It is a big hit in our family as well. While it isn't as flashy as some games, it lets everyone play together.

In addition to all the great suggestions so far (Ticket to Ride, Uno, etc.) we always had fun by modifying classic board games for little kids. For example, my kids "played" monopoly starting when they were 5 (?) by taking turns rolling the dice, moving that many places, and the first person to make it all the way around the board won. No money or any of that. Similarly, playing scrabble together, everyone sharing tiles and helping spell good words was great family fun that could involve people of all ages.