Menu

science for grade 8

What sciences do you want to have appear on the high school transcript?

If your ds has a goal for college or work after graduation, which sciences might be requirements for that.

Just as an example, the college I attended requires chemistry and wants physics as an opener, with a preference for more and advanced sciences. Because the college has a science & engineering core curriculum, these are requirements even for prospective humanities majors.

But other schools might just want to see that enough years of science were done.

I kept flipping between Biology (Miller/Levine book using the supplements and syllabus from Kolbe) and Physics (either Conceptual Pysics or algebra based Physics).

I finally chose physics using the Honors Physics open course from UCCP and the book by Giancoli or a slightly different book by Knight/Jones.

I would hesitate to use Rainbow for a high school level science class.

Sebastion gave you good advice for some high school options. You'll need to decide first what your child's goals are and then make sure they get the science credits necessary.

Ds did Physical Science in 8th, Biology in 9th, will be doing Chem this year in 10th, then Physics in 11th. After that, he can determine what he needs for 12th based on his interests and the requirements of the colleges he is interested in.

I would hesitate to use Rainbow for a high school level science class.

Sebastion gave you good advice for some high school options. You'll need to decide first what your child's goals are and then make sure they get the science credits necessary.

Ds did Physical Science in 8th, Biology in 9th, will be doing Chem this year in 10th, then Physics in 11th. After that, he can determine what he needs for 12th based on his interests and the requirements of the colleges he is interested in.

:iagree: (including the same sequence for oldest dd)

This would be a great question for the high school board, too. You will get more experience with 9th grade class choices. :001_smile: