Menu

S/O Workboxes for older kids

Hi Ladies!

We used the workboxes this past year with a lot of success with my Autistic/ADHD, 9yo son. He is almost 10. However, I can never seem to think of things to put in there for him to do when we aren't working together. Most all of his work is done together at this point. I do use audio books and I give him Lego time as well as SnapCircuits. I'd really enjoy some ideas. :)

It's hard to say without knowing your son. Does he read fluently and comfortably? Writing? Drawing?

My own 10yo has ADHD/bipolar. Some things in his boxes aside from regular full on school work would be his history lapbook (cutting, illustrating, small narrations, gluing), a notebooking page to color if he already did the narration, a sudoku puzzle or other type of word puzzle, a regular hands on puzzle to do, a printout from Lego.com or such with something to create (the project instructions from online to create a certain thing), something from Critical Thinking Company that he enjoys or science kits. Mine is passionate about science, especially labs. I can get him smaller kits or lab ideas with nothing dangerous he can do. He also might be a card saying to go do 30 minutes of Wii Fit or go to the swingset for 15 minutes or something like that.

Adding - I will also occasionally put a card for 15 minutes on the iPad for a certain app, reasonably educational ones but also fun. I have them in a range of things for my various ages. Oldest DS has one for Spanish vocab. He also uses the regular computer (card in his box to tell him to do it) to practice his typing fluency.

Edited by WeeBeaks

It's hard to say without knowing your son. Does he read fluently and comfortably? Writing? Drawing?

My own 10yo has ADHD/bipolar. Some things in his boxes aside from regular full on school work would be his history lapbook (cutting, illustrating, small narrations, gluing), a notebooking page to color if he already did the narration, a sudoku puzzle or other type of word puzzle, a regular hands on puzzle to do, a printout from Lego.com or such with something to create (the project instructions from online to create a certain thing), something from Critical Thinking Company that he enjoys or science kits. Mine is passionate about science, especially labs. I can get him smaller kits or lab ideas with nothing dangerous he can do. He also might be a card saying to go do 30 minutes of Wii Fit or go to the swingset for 15 minutes or something like that.

Adding - I will also occasionally put a card for 15 minutes on the iPad for a certain app, reasonably educational ones but also fun. I have them in a range of things for my various ages. Oldest DS has one for Spanish vocab. He also uses the regular computer (card in his box to tell him to do it) to practice his typing fluency.

Thank you for your ideas :) My son is doing much better with his reading this year and is reading at about a 3rd grade level. He is writing some on his own and I have given him a journal to write in. He does enjoy art and likes the "Draw Write Now series". I like the idea about the science kits and lapbooks, I'm going to try that. We don't have an iPad or a Wii but he can work on the computer for short periods of time. I also have him jump on his mini-tramp for 5-10 minute periods in between lessons.