Menu

Big THX for CUPCAKE ADVICE U ALL Gave Me........

My cupcakes were the BEST!!!!images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeuodG5yyHgRlEBDxtKr8wI2P9EnCPlPGuPmgVQ-NOMh8ScwJB

My kids just got in, burst into the house, and were all telling me at once that MY cupcakes were the only ones that were gone! A few of the 'blue' ones were eaten (kids wanted their mouths to be blue), but mine were the best and everyone wanted to know who made them (we are new there).

Also, (color explanations below) someone who makes wedding cakes made the red cupcakes and for a little while, people thought that she had made the chocolate (my assigned color/flavor) but then she was asking WHO made the chocolate and my kids piped in that I did.

YAY!!!!!!!

Thank you all so much -- the links and advice you all provided really gave me focus so I knew what I wanted/needed to do: make a chocolate cupcake with a chocolate frosting swirled top.

I have so many good places to go back and use when I have to do any kind of baking again.

FYI, I used the recipe on the Hershey's Cocoa for the cake. I cheated and used canned frosting -- it was too hot and too late (I frosted this morning) for anything more involved. Helpful hints about frosting follow:

I used Wilton canned chocolate buttercream frosting -- it is good - if you are going to use a pastry tube or one of those decorating tubes that are like a cookie press (I bought one this morning at WalMart), put the container of Wilton frosting in the microwave for 20 seconds otherwise it is too stiff to work through the tip and too stiff to push out the extruder.

I also purchased two cans of Pillsbury Sugar Free Creamy Chocolate Frosting at WalMart (they only had two cans or I would have bought more - I was panic stricken that I would run out because of errors).

The pillsbury, hands down, tastes better than the Wilton, and is a breeze to work with. It can go right from the can to the pastry/piping tube and I think I was able to frost a dozen cupcakes in about 2 minutes - no kidding.

I did mix some Pillsbury and Wilton together just to see how it looked and it made a very pretty swirl. I have photos - I will try to add them when I am finished typing - I don't however thinnk the photos do the cupcakes justice.

I finished by using a vegetable peeler and sweet Baker's Milk Chocolate and shaved a little on top of each cupcake. I baked 62 cupcakes (last night) - my kids said every single one was devoured and kids were looking for more.

Oh - I learned that when filling the cupcake papers, just covering the bottom of the cupcake paper to about 1/4 of an inch ( not much batter at all) will bring the cupcake right to the top of paper but not over it which makes frosting easier. And, using a suggestion that some of you very wise women shared, I froze the cupcakes over night and frosted them that way - that worked because by the time the cupcakes got to the pool in this awful heat, they were just defrosting and it helped hold the frosting in shape.

Finally, I found hefty plastic bags a total failure as a pastry/piping tube -- i think that is because i only tried the wilton frosting with those and the wilton is just too stiff and not creamy enough. I think the pillsbury super creamy may have worked fine with the plastic bags -- i was running out of time though and may try that next time.

COLORS: One of the swim team member is leaving for the Olympic Time Trials - the social commmittee at the pool assigned the colors of the Olympic Rings (I took chocolate - we did that instead of black) and five of us baked cupcakes in the various colors so they could be arranged as such: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvucOQ7CJx7xoIXLGtydDCaQ0KpZ3Kp-I0zEfDiT3gCQVgMS1ekQ

I'm adding that graphic because I love it -- pix to follow

Smiley28.gif

post-10544-13535086942096_thumb.jpg

post-10544-13535086942394_thumb.jpg

post-10544-13535086942096_thumb.jpg

post-10544-13535086942394_thumb.jpg

Edited by MariannNOVA

That looks SO good. Can somebody link me to the original thread? I do love cupcakes and I need hints. Gracias.

tis here: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399633&highlight=cupcakes

And I must have watched two dozen youtube videos on frosting cupcakes and different types of buttercream -- heavens - it was an education.

They look gorgeous! And yummy! But I'm trying not to think too much of the yumminess because that wouldn't go with my no-sugar low carb diet. . .

And (asking in my best homeschooler voice) what Algebra books are those?

I am doing medifast so I did not eat any of them. You and I can be obedient together.:)

Teaching Textbooks -- from Teaching Textbooks -- we love them.

Now I want a chocolate cupcake.:D Yum.

Great job, they look great!

Thank you!

Looks yummy! I have to try that recipe some day.

Yes - you definitely want to.

Those are pretty!

Thank you - my objective was pretty!

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I will find a gluten free recipe, but i am afraid they will be horrid by the time they get to you.

They look great.

Did you mix the sugar free with the regular for all the cupcakes? Just asking because some people (several in my family, I'm sure there are some in any area you go to) are allergic to artificial sweeteners and need to be alerted in advance.

No -- just for six of them -- and fortunately, the social committee (of which I understand I am now a member) was excellent about advising us regarding food allergies.

Beautiful! Those are the most rave-worthy cupcakes I've seen in ages!

My teen daughter's birthday party is tomorrow and I was going to bake a cake but now I think I'm going to do cupcakes instead.

The speediness with which the pastry/piping tube allows one to frost is amazing - and the youtube videos with all the different styles is fascinating -- so many cupcakes.....so little time. HB to your DD.

Yeah, well...after rice pasta, I probably wouldn't realize they weren't meant to be that way :tongue_smilie:

I hear you -- rice pasta is a big yuck here -- had it once, never again.

Trader Joe's has some kind of gluten free pasta that we all like but I can never remember which one it is -- dh knows what one it is.

I think Wolf needs to make you those cupcakes.;)....while wearing a kilt.;)

Beautiful and yummy looking!

You know, cupcakes are the in thing right now. We have a new cupcake place opening in Boston (from Georgetown actually), joining other cupcake places that have been there.

You are a trendsetter!

No -- just for six of them -- and fortunately, the social committee (of which I understand I am now a member) was excellent about advising us regarding food allergies.

Glad to hear it. I always think of my dad when I read about something like this--if someone made something sugar free and didn't let him know--verbally or with a little sign--he'd assume it's regular. He'd have severe stomach pain within seconds of consuming it.

Wow! Those are some fancy cupcakes!!!:drool5:

Thank you, sweetie! My other objective was 'fancy' -- right after pretty.;)

Beautiful and yummy looking!

You know, cupcakes are the in thing right now. We have a new cupcake place opening in Boston (from Georgetown actually), joining other cupcake places that have been there.

You are a trendsetter!

Is 'Georgetown Cupcake' moving to Boston? People line up around the block for their cupcakes in georgetown -- i have to be honest with you -- they are okay. Not really good, definitely not worth standing in line for, but those two sisters were ahead of the curve and they have it made.

Glad to hear it. I always think of my dad when I read about something like this--if someone made something sugar free and didn't let him know--verbally or with a little sign--he'd assume it's regular. He'd have severe stomach pain within seconds of consuming it.

Folks here in NoVa are incredibly aware of food allergies and sensitivities -- amazingly aware. When I taught in the classroom, one of the first lists a teacher would receive when he/she arrived in late August to set up their classroom was a school-wide list of food allergies. In fact, I am surprised when I bump into a group here who perhaps is not on top of the food allergy issue --b/c it's kind of de rigueur here. Artificial sweeteners can be rough on the stomach.

I would have gobbled a few up, medifast or no medifast. You're much stronger than I am.

Oh, that's such a nice thing to say. I am just determined that I will not be rebellious and I will stay on the program. :) Now,if I had to bake cupcakes every day, who knows what would happen.

I used Wilton canned chocolate buttercream frosting -- it is good - if you are going to use a pastry tube or one of those decorating tubes that are like a cookie press (I bought one this morning at WalMart), put the container of Wilton frosting in the microwave for 20 seconds otherwise it is too stiff to work through the tip and too stiff to push out the extruder.

Beautiful cupcakes :)

The Wilton icing in a can is designed to be "thick" icing so you can pipe roses and leaves and they'll hold their shape well. You can also make it easier to pipe by adding a tablespoon (or two, carefully) of milk or water and mixing it smooth.

Beautiful cupcakes :)

The Wilton icing in a can is designed to be "thick" icing so you can pipe roses and leaves and they'll hold their shape well. You can also make it easier to pipe by adding a tablespoon (or two, carefully) of milk or water and mixing it smooth.

Thank you! Adding milk or water makes me nervous (another weirdness i guess).

Yup - I understood that -- I was rushing like mad this a.m. and WalMart didn't have any wilton frosting, I couldn't wait for michael's to open and the ONLY chocolate frosting walmart had was pillsbury creamy sugar free - and they only had two cans of it. Can u believe that? I bought both cans -- truthfully, the pillsbury tasted better - but i know that

wilton will be good for other things i want to try.

I hear you -- rice pasta is a big yuck here -- had it once, never again.

Trader Joe's has some kind of gluten free pasta that we all like but I can never remember which one it is -- dh knows what one it is.

I think Wolf needs to make you those cupcakes.;)....while wearing a kilt.;)

We don't have a TJ's here.

That reminds me, I still need to get him a utili kilt. I guess I'll just have to put up w/him in a towel. *heavy sigh* ;)

You're cupcakes look so chocolatey good; my mouth is watering!!

I enjoy making cupcakes on occasion for birthdays and such, you've inspired me to be more creative.

They were so much fun!:)

Tasty and pretty you did a great job!
Thank you!!!:)

We don't have a TJ's here.

That reminds me, I still need to get him a utili kilt. I guess I'll just have to put up w/him in a towel. *heavy sigh* ;)

i get the heavy sigh -- you fogged up my screen!:lol:

They look gorgeous! And yummy! But I'm trying not to think too much of the yumminess because that wouldn't go with my no-sugar low carb diet. . .

:iagree:

While I'm not on a no-sugar low carb diet, I am making dietary changes that don't include chocolate cupcakes tonight.

:iagree:

While I'm not on a no-sugar low carb diet, I am making dietary changes that don't include chocolate cupcakes tonight.

I hear you -- these are not allowed on medifast - and the medifast brownies, while superb, don't come close to these.

great job!

Wow - I'm drooling! Those look so good!

Thank you and thank you -- i cannot wait to try something else!