Menu

Re-introduce yourself, no matter how long or short you've been here

I am Jean, married to Rick and we have 10 children ages 23 down to 7. I started posting on the old boards back @ 2000? I think I was Quiver0f8 at the time? :D

We started homeschooling for academic reasons, but we feel that God has called us to Homeschool and we want Christ as the center of our lives.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, Onceuponatime here, I've come here on and off for at least 6 years. I have 5 kids, one grandson, homeschooled for 18 plus years (I'm losing track of exactly how long), graduated three. I was a Navy brat and married a career Navy man who is now a civilian. We live in Virginia. I garden, sew, crochet, and read, read, read. My current interests are the philosophy and history of religion and spirituality. I started homeschooling for religious plus academic reasons. The reasons have changed but now I just can't imagine living any other way.

Edited by Onceuponatime

So glad for this thread! There are a ton of people who posted that I'd never seen before. OK, maybe I'm not that observant.

I'm Georgiana Daniels, and I've been on this board since 2009, but lurked for eons before posting much. This summer has actually given me the opportunity to jump in more often.

We homeschool our two youngest, and our oldest is in college and about to be married. I'm thankful for my hard-workin' hubby who puts in 12-14 hour days, 6 days a week so I can be home with the kidlets. I'm also an author and my book is due out in January, and hopefully more to follow!

I'm a random poster, at best, but sure have learned a ton since coming to TWTM.

Hi, I'm Bee, and I'm a wife of 5 years and mother of 7 that are mine, 4 that are his, grandma to 3 adorables...

I homeschooled my 7 for 15 years and we lived most of those years in Alaska.

I enjoy photography as a hobby... used to scrapbook, but became totally burnt out on it and the thought of doing it again makes me cringe and twitch... lol... I enjoy crochet and would like to learn to knit sometimes... but, life it busy...

I have 4 teen boys at home currently and that keeps life busy... I work part time in retail and part time in elder care, which is very rewarding.

Now it's time to update my signature!!

Hi, I'm Melissa. We've been homeschooling for 8.5 years, since pulling our eldest dd out of kindergarten. I've been on these boards about 8 years. I have four kids listed below. We will be moving to the outskirts of Gainesville, FL in four weeks. I consider us to be culturally Catholic, my dh prefers agnostic. We homeschool for academic and family unit reasons.

All of our hobbies revolve around the water - boating, canoeing, swimming, snorkling, etc. Dh is a 4th generation Floridian, I'm a yankee transplant that made plans to move here at the age of 10 and did so at the age of 18. We love Florida and have every intention of being here the rest of our lives.

Edited by Melissa B

I'm Tonya, wife to Poppins (who's practically perfect in every way). We have six children (ages 6 to 16: 5 boys, 1 girl), live in south Georgia, and have homeschooled them from the beginning. We encourage multi-language development, manual labor, independence, and hard work.

I'm been a lurker here for quite a few years, and I post every once in a great while. DH drives cement truck, and I teach English in the evenings at the local college.

We're simple folks with complex lives. www.meanolmama.blogspot.com

I'm April, I live in Middle TN and have 4 lovely (most of the time) children, ages 14, 10,7, and 4. We live on a small hobby farm raising cows and chickens. I grow lots of stuff to eat too.

I've been on this board for about 2 years.

We school differently every year, but I am so intimidated by the idea of classical education that I can't do it. Thankfully, you guys are nice enough to let this eclectic schooler into the club.

I'm very new here, but I've already gotten some great advice and I've learned a lot from reading the forum.

My name is Joani and I live in Florida. For the last three years, I've homeschooled my two sons while my daughter has attended public school. We started homeschooling for medical and academic reasons. It was never something that we considered before my older son got sick in 5th grade, but we've absolutely loved it so far.

I got remarried a few months ago and in the fall I'll be homeschooling my younger son, my daughter and my three stepchildren. I'm not sure at the moment whether my older son will be homeschooled or go to public high school.

Apart from homeschooling, I love to read and run. My husband is really into traveling and photography, so we have some adventures to look forward to. :)

Hello! My name is Punchie and I live in WNY. This was our first year homeschooling our oldest. I would love it if our kids never set foot in a public school. We have 3 kids Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 2 girls, ages 6 and 2; 1 boy, age 10 months. DH is in the Air Force. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been married a little over 7 years.

Prior to our current move, I worked for the fed govĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t. I was also in the military many years ago. I went to military school for high school (NMMI), and I have a BA in Religious Studies. It is my dream to get a PhD in Early Christian History.

UmĂ¢â‚¬Â¦hobbies include reading, gardening, traveling, and martial arts (Krav Maga and Muay Thai). I really, really want to do a Tough Mudder. One is coming locally next year, so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll finally get my chance. I am also a Girl Scout leader.

WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re homeschooling mainly for academic reasons, but also because I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t want to see my childrensĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ spirits crushed. And I want them to get their morals/values from us. Plus, I really enjoy being around my children (even when theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re being whiney hellions who make me want to rip my hair out).

I am an introverted, wallflower who will rarely initiate a conversation. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m more comfortable lurking in the fringe. However, once IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m comfortable with you, I will never shut up.

Edited by Punchie

Hi I'm Sarah,

Me and my lovely family live in Alberta. Me and my dh have been married for almost 10 years now. I've known him my entire life. We have 3 gorgeous children.

We homeschool for a variety of reasons which vary depending on which child I'm talking about. Suffice it to say that they are emotionally, mentally, and physically healthier than they would be at the ps here. I was a homeschooled kid myself, and although I was not schooled with classical education, after some studying, it is what I chose for my own kids. It has been an amazing experience thus far.

We live on 10 acres (a piece of heaven in my mind) and have 7 dogs, 2 horses (although one is small enough to be called 1/2 horse), 2 jersey cows, and hopefully a steer in a month.

On an extra note, 9 months of the year I'm an oilfield widow, so I probably come across as a little crazed, clingy, and desperate for adult conversation.:D

Hi, I'm Mrs. Warde. I married my high school sweetheart when I was 18 and we've made it past the 7 year mark. We first started thinking about homschooling when ds#1 was 6 months old. I put WTM and the Well Educated Mind on my Amazon wishlist and dh got them for me for Christmas and we've been convinced ever since. We've been doing a light kindergarten and we start 1st grade in August!! I have a tendency to panic when the kids start doing/learning something ahead of when I think they should learn, but ds3 is forcing me to work on that. :tongue_smilie:I am an Conservative Evangelical Christian who LOVES to wear long skirts all the time but I wear them because they're pretty (and go with my shape) not because I think I have to (and I have nothing against those who do think they have to.)

I hate putting periods in front of smiles. I think they are perfect replacements for periods in this medium, but ever since someone posted that that wasn't grammatically correct I've done the period :tongue_smilie: (See? Doesn't that look more natural?!)

I live in Ontario, Canada with my husband and 3 kids (DS aged 10, DS aged 8, and DD aged 4). I've been homeschooling since 2007 because I love to teach my kids. Academics are important to us.

I used to own a full-time+ online business selling natural baby products and prior to that I worked as a Speech-Language Pathologist with kids ranging from birth through 6th grade in Alaska, Oregon, and Texas. I've lived in 3 countries so far and our family plans on moving to Asia as missionaries in the next few years.

I'm Dawn and I live in the middle of nowhere Alabama. My kids are 9 and 10. Dh is in the Army and we are moving back to NC in September. I've been homeschooling off and on since dd was in kindergarten. Twice I got the crazy idea that the kids would be better off in ps. We homeschool for academic reasons and I feel like we're just now finding our groove.

Hi I'm Angela, mom to 3, and living in NYC. I made a few appearances on the old board - mainly to wonder if it was ok to join if I was an unschooler. I remember someone responding that it "was ok, we won't tell" or something like that, lol. I think it was in 2005.

I started hs 7 years ago, mainly due to a gifted dd bored to death and fidgety at her gifted academy. It was a great 5 years with her at home - very unschooly with some Charlotte Mason thrown in. She then auditioned for and was accepted to LaGuardia High School for Performing Arts in NYC (her dream school). She just finished her 2nd year there.

Hs was so wonderful that ds started after 2 years of PreK. He is now in 5th grade and might want to go to a public high school based on his interests. We follow the Charlotte Mason method and will be doing a very relaxed AO Year 4 in the fall for 6th grade. I suspect he has dyslexia and I'm so happy to finally have an evaluation appointment scheduled for July 10th.

Oldest dd spent all but one year in public (and Catholic) schools. She decided she'd like to homeschool for only 8th grade and it was a wonderful year. She went to a high school for journalism the following year and graduated in 2011. She will be starting her sophomore year of college in September.

Dh is in the advertising business and I work part-time for the cable company. We live in a cozy apartment in Queens.

My name is Lori. This will be my first year homeschooling. Before I had kids, I spent ten years teaching in both public and private schools. Our daughter will be going into third grade and due to some crazy happenings in our district, increasing class sizes, and safety issues, we decided homeschool is the best thing for her. I also have two boys, ages 3 & 4.

My husband is retired from the Air Force and now works for a military contractor. We have moved quite a bit through the years. Our most recent move was from Pittsburgh to the high desert of California. I am not sure how long we will be here.

I work as a freelance writer and I love to putter around in my garden, root for the Steelers, and cook.

Hi, I'm Kalah. I've been homeschooling my 12yo and 8yo boys for going on 8 years. We are in it for the education. My ds12 read at 2, so he made the decision for me. I don't regret it.

Let's see: I'm the atheist daughter of a Methodist minister (and he still truly loves me and thinks I'm a good person!:001_wub:) and a nurse who is one of the strongest people I've ever met. I've got one brother. I've been with my dh for 19 years, married for 18 in November. We met on my 22nd birthday and I knew I would marry him the same night I met him. And I did. :) He's younger than me. We waited to get married until he turned 21 so he could legally drink at his own wedding!

I have a degree in English that I've never really used. I've had crazy jobs- kennel worker in a shelter, district court file clerk, food delivery, architect's secretary. I was a SAHM for 10 years. When my dh lost his job to the recession, I started cleaning houses and I'm still cleaning. I prefer organizing though.

I love digiscrapping and reading. I've never been really good at imaginitive play with my boys. I'm great with puzzles, books, and games though. I'm a eclectic homeschooler with classic tendencies.

Before I was a soccer mom, I was both punk rock and a Dead Head. And I rocked both styles! Soccer mom? Not so much. :001_huh:

My user name is RainbowSprinkles because I love to have ice cream with rainbow sprinkles on top! :tongue_smilie:

I have 4 dc, ages 8 months to 10 years. We homeschool because we move frequently and we believe in individualized education. One size does not fit all! :)

I love art and photography. I love reading blogs for inspiration. I love planning and organizing. I love window-shopping. I love moving every couple of years and experiencing new things. :)

I'm Shannon. I'm the Mom of 6. We've been homeschooling since the beginning - my oldest is going into 7th grade this year. I'm juggling getting my oldest ready for high school while chasing after an overactive toddler, keeping a preschooler busy, and teaching my three others (rising 2nd, 3rd, and 5th graders). I've learned so much on this site! I rarely post, but have learned a great deal from all of you.

My husband is a pastor of a small, rural church which keeps us busy. I enjoy photography and reading. My 18 month old still doesn't sleep through the night, so as a girl who needs her sleep I'm not able to read as much as I would like right now because my brain is in a daze. We keep hoping that he will grow out of that soon!

Hi! I'm Amanda. I have five dc, ages 9, 8, 6, 5, and 3 months. I'm starting my fifth year of homeschooling...my two oldest are going into fourth grade, the five-year-old is continuing kindergarten (she started in January, for what reason, I can no longer remember!), and the six-year-old, who has autism, will be going into first grade at our local public school. I never imagined I'd be a homeschooling mom, but now, I can't imagine doing anything else! :)

Hello, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Chris. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been married to DH for almost 20 years and we have four kids (11, 10, 3, 1). Prior to having kids, I was a Speech Language Pathologist (the story behind my very outdated user name). We pulled our oldest son out of a Christian private school after second grade. Our plan is to homeschool all four through high school. I am a Southern woman trapped in California. I totally donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t belong here, but I am trying to make the best of it. DH is 100% supportive of homeschooling and that has made the last couple of years of pregnancy and toddlers a bit smoother.

I happened upon this site when we started thinking about homeschooling. I searched it constantly for curriculum suggestions. It is still the first place I go for information regarding curriculum (shoot, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m here every day!). I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t post much at first because a good search of the boards answered all my questions. You guys are so awesome!

I'm Erin, just getting started in this homeschooling adventure. I have a just-turned-5yo son and b/g twins who just turned 4. We live in the suburbs of New Orleans.

Before I got married, I spent 5 years teaching 3rd grade at a wonderful classical private school. I have always wanted that sort of education for my own children. Nothing like that school exists here, so we're DIY. I'm excited about it!

I am tennislady because I love to play tennis, but have not had time for it since having children. I have a preschooler and a toddler. We're going to formally begin homeschooling in August. I am mostly a lurker, and have learned so much from everyone here. Thank you to all who share their wisdom with us newbies!

Hi!! I am Cheryl. I live in Oklahoma with my husband, our two (soon to be three) kiddos, a dog, a cat, and a guinea pig named Lenny. We own a performing arts academy, I live to teach ballet. My dh has his own window cleaning business. We are always going!

We homeschool for many reasons: more family time, fits our lifestyle and schedule better, stronger academics, giving kids more time to be kids....

We are conservative Christians. DH has a huge garden in our backyard, I like to sew, and the whole family loves music :)

My name is Diana and we have 3 kids. We've been homeschooling our oldest for 4 years and our younger son for 3 years. DD is just along for the ride right now, learning preschool stuff. ;) We live in the Inland Northwest, the eastern side of Washington state.

Our 12yo ds has down syndrome, our 10yo ds has high-functioning autism, and our 3yo dd has speech and cognitive delays and is also showing signs of learning disabilities. Yup, got our hands full but wouldn't trade it for anything.

We are homeschooling for many reasons from academics to behavioral to religious and more. Takes too long to explain the specifics.

Currently I work part-time from home packaging products for a baby products company. Dh is a registered nursing assistant providing in-home care for developmentally disabled adults, also studying through distance learning to go into full-time ministry.

I'm Kymmie. Before, I was here as another username. Then IRL I met a crazy person who thought he should have access to every single part of my life and so I changed all my usernames. Now I'm this name. :D (Luckily he's not dangerous, just annoying.)

I'm the single mama to Jenna, 6 year old dancer extraordinaire. Jenna's plan for life includes growing up to be a veterinarian, dog trainer, artist, Jeopardy-winner, who owns and operates a dance studio and is in an orchestra (first chair violin, if you're interested). :svengo:She wants to know everything about everything, and wants to know it now. Let's just say this: I have my hands full.

Besides homeschooling, I'm also a college student. I will finally be getting my B.A. next spring. I'm a history major, minor in Spanish, French, and gender studies. I also have a declared minor in Latin American studies but I won't be able to complete it because I wasn't able to study abroad. :crying: I'm in the process of finishing up grad school applications, and want to study gender and sexuality in 19th and 20th century Brazil. Eventually, I want to be a college professor.

We homeschool for so many reasons. I first started for academic reasons. I was a nanny when DD was young, and worked with her. At 4 I looked into a couple schools and quickly realized that she'd be way out of place in any preschool, so I kept her out again. At 5 I looked again, and realized that she was now even more ahead and kindergarten was even less of an option. In the process, I've realized how many other wonderful benefits there are, and plan to keep her home through high school.

Hello! :seeya: I've been using "profmom" (professional mom) since the old boards and probably around '99 or 2000. My goal was to take my new profession, as mom, as seriously as I had my old, CPA.

We've homeschooled from the beginning and have kids ages 15, 13, & 7. This board is always my go-to place for questions and research!

I'm Katie. I live in Seattle. My husband and I have been married 10 years and have two sons. A 3 year old and a just a few days shy of 9 year old. I was, until maybe 3 years ago, really opposed in general to the idea of ever homeschooling (despite having spent some time being homeschooled and unschooled as a child.)

We have homeschooled for 2 year thus far and no plans as of now to stop. My son was bullied very badly in 1st grade and the school system could not make it stop or give me any real assurances it would not keep happening if we transfered schools. Um, ok. Or not.

Our son is identified as having high functioning autism and is academically gifted/advanced/whatnot so school was not good socially or academically and I decided "why bother?!" He is doing so much better at home. More time for activities, better academics and better socially. He plays the piano and is a really active cub scout.

I am new to the mostly at-home parent thing, having worked full-time until 6 months ago in NPO management. I run a little consulting/freelance biz from home to stay in the field and make the ends meet financially so that homeschooling does not mean no retirement savings etc.

We are considering homeschooling our 3 year old right from the start but are not sure yet. He is very social and adaptable and while it seems likely he woud do just fine in school, I find myself increasingly skeptical of school in general.

I found these boards because a friend from another board recommended WTM when we dived into this little adventure. Thanks momoflaw.

As this post attests, I struggle with being long winded. I am loud and, depending on who you ask, either charming/endearing or wickedly annoying IRL. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by kijipt

Hi, I am Caitilin!

I have homeschooled my 6 kids from the beginning, so we are beginning year (gasp:svengo:)TEN of classically oriented homeschooling ala WTM in August.

Umm, what else. I have been married to my sweet dh for almost 15 years; my kids and I converted to the Orthodox Church this spring; we homeschool for academic excellence and for flexibility; I have an English degree; I love animals (we have 7!); I will be directing our HS group's 4th annual Shakespeare Camp next month, putting on the Tempest; I enjoy crocheting, researching and planning school, reading, hanging on the boards, and summer. :D

Hi. I'm Lynne. I've been hanging out here on these boards since 2008, when I was considering homeschooling, but dh was against it. After 2 miserable years in public school for ds1 (Asperger's), dh finally agreed to let me give homeschooling a try. We just finished our second year, and have no plans to stop as of yet.

I love homeschooling my boys. We've added some daycare babies into the mix in order to earn some extra money, so it has become a little more challenging, but still good. I like scrapbooking, swing dancing, line dancing, swimming, reading and traveling.

My computer is centrally located in my house, so I mostly remain logged on here and can pop in and comment on things when I sit down for a break here and there. Or, I can sit here for hours on end when I'm avoiding what I really should be doing!

I'm The Reader, and I'll "out" myself in that I was TexasHeather on the SL forums. I came here at ZooRho's request because someone had a question about hs'ing in BR, and then I liked it here and stayed. And then I completely left SL forums all together and so here I am.

I don't use my real name b/c of the situation of hs'ing in BR. Although in the fall we'll no longer be exactly hs'ing our oldest two, and I might stick my name in my signature then (they'll be using TTUISD and I'll supervise but not be their teacher).

I'm from Texas, have been in Brazil for nearly 5 years (as of September), have always hs'ed our boys, and aside from this change to using a virtual school thought I always would. I would likely not use a virtual school if we were living in the US, but the situation here recently changed and we feel it's the wisest thing to do.

We're here (BR) b/c of my DH's job -- he works in the Petrochemical industry, which is rather booming here at the moment.

We started hs'ing for academic reasons --- my oldest at 3.5 yrs was arguing phonics with me and begging to learn to read. Put that with a "past the K cut-off" bday and by the time he was "old enough" for K public school he was reading somewhere between 2nd and 3rd grade level, and doing solid 2nd grade math. So we kept him home. Then we just really liked it so it was natural to follow the same path with our 2nd son, and then we had the littlest who was very premature (as opposed to the older two who were just normal premature) and so here he is at 7.5 yrs and still struggling to remember letter sounds from one day to the next and so no where near reading. So, we continue hs'ing him and trust he'll get it eventually. He learns WAY different than the other boys did, so I feel like I'm starting all over again.

As for me -- I quilt (by hand, as my machine doesn't work), read (on Kindle, because we can't get books in English here easily or cheaply), care for our pets (a 2 yr old Golden Retriever, and right now 4 foster puppies, 1 of whom we hope to keep)(and usually a cat or two), and make a photo book (I -heart- Picaboo) every year for our memory/family album.

I have been reading the boards for many years, but have only started posting for the last couple of years or so. Dh and I have four kiddos, ages 13, 12, 10, 8. We move every two years, as dh is active duty military. The assignment before this one was in South Korea and it made me super appreciative to be back in the United States.

We have homeschooled for 6 years total. Our kids attended public school on two separate occasions and it was a disaster. Lesson learned and now we are in it for the long haul.

I'm Kymmie. Before, I was here as another username. Then IRL I met a crazy person who thought he should have access to every single part of my life and so I changed all my usernames. Now I'm this name. :D (Luckily he's not dangerous, just annoying.)

I've been wondering where you were. Your old username is *right there* but I can't pull it forward to search for you.

Glad to see you again. Sorry about your troubles. :grouphug:

My nickname really is nono. I came to the whole idea of parenting in a roundabout way. I had a successful career in various areas -- marketing, sales, technology on my own and with one of the larger employers in North America. I only mention that big company, because it's really how I committed to homeschooling, even without plans to necessarily become a Mom! :001_huh: Stick with me.

So at the big company, we had to interview peer candidates for hire. After going 3 rounds of decent candidates, but in the end, finding not one who could "think outside the box," I said to myself, if I become a parent, I'll homeschool. That way, this company might have a few candidates to hire someday.

Lo and behold, I did end up marrying someone with whom I could form a family, and here I am. I'm older, with young children. I have had cousins on both sides of the family homeschool. My sister homeschooled. We're all very different.

In my case, I wouldn't be a good fit with the conforming that has to come from joining any group (such as a school). So, we homeschool. It's been a blast so far!

Hi, I"m Astrid. Really. It's my name IRL as well as here, where I've been since about 2002-- back to the old boards.

I kind of don't fit the profile of a typical homeschooler as we're not religious and only have one child. In fact, we're really not homeschoolers anymore because as was our plan from the beginning, Molly went back to our small, semi-private high school last September and just completed her freshman year.

I work part time for Capital Region Education Council (CREC) which runs the magnet schools in and around Hartford County, CT USA. I'm a professional development trainer for them and supervise the adult education programs in the state. I love my job.

I'm addicted to knitting, and am "astridrobi" on Ravelry because "astrid" was already taken. We show and train dogs, and I often jump into the threads about dogs with advice and opinions. Whether these are welocme or not I have no idea. :tongue_smilie:

That's me--- more info in my siggy, I guess!

astrid

Hello. I am DA. I am the mom of two and meme of one.

No longer homeschooling but missing it every day, which is the reason marine bio dissection specimens are sitting on my dining room table and every movie, book, zoo, park, etc is mentally filed for homeschool classes that will never happen. :)

My hobbies are biking and the outdoors (esp if it is related to the Boy Scouts of America).

My summer goal is to gather enough courage to zipline.

My name is Jean, and I lurk more than I post, but I've been around on these boards for a long time. I've got two boys who have been homeschooled since we pulled the oldest out of public school halfway through kindergarten. Right now I work full time, so DH is the primary homeschooling parent. I must admit that I'm having trouble adjusting to the change, and I miss homeschooling the kids.

I'm Kelly.

I've been homeschooling for 17 years.

I have 4 children:

21yo old college junior

18yo ds who just graduated last month from our homeschool (he has Asperger's Sydrome)

12yo ds

10yo dd who has autism

I've been married for 23 years to my hubby who works from home (he's a government contractor).

We live outside of Fredericksburg, Virginia.

I love to read and I like to play golf (when I can find the time!)

I'm Jean. I have two children: ds14 and dd10. I've been homeschooling since ds was in kindergarten, so 10 years. I was on the old board but didn't really start to post heavily until the change to the new board. Things you might learn about me from my posts are that I grew up in Japan, I'm a Christian, I have chronic illness problems, I love to Zumba and (among other pets) I have a disabled dog named Libby.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

I am Elizabeth. I currently live in the middle of nowhere in Texas and love every minute of it. This past December, I graduated from a local private college with a BA in Education after being home schooled with the exception of 3rd and 5th grade. I am the oldest of 6...of which only one is biological. In my spare time, I like to digiscrap and read.

I have a 5 yr. DD who will be beginning kindergarten this year that I am homeschooling because she does not fit the mold for the small town public school. Even though I was home school almost all my life, I am really nervous/scared about this journey we are starting. I am also assisting my husband and his son (from a previous relationship) get their G.E.D's so that they can have better opportunities.

Hello. I'm Eileen. We live in Phoenix. We are currently in the city. We are hoping to move back out to where we are more in the desert areas and can have horses. We've been here about thirteeen years and finally feel like we've found home. I actually love the heat and freeze if it gets down in the sixties or below. We don't have any family here, but that isn't such a bad thing.

Dh and I met in high school and have been married 28 years. We have two children. The oldest was homeschooled since second grade. He is married to his high school sweetheart and lives about twenty minutes away. Dd was homeschooled all the way through and will be a senior this year. She does everything indepently now, so in most respects, I'm finished with my homeschooling journey.

Dh has been self-employed for the last ten years. Due to the economy, he recently went back to work at a regular job. It's been quite an adjustment all around, but I think in the long run it will be a good thing. I helped him with the business, so I'm not sure at this point what I will do. I'm going to stay home for now and probably declutter the house. Maybe eventually I will go back to work.

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks. I love to try new recipes.

My big interest right now is karaoke. I love to sing. I was always terrified to sing in front of people, but I'm finally getting past my nervousness. I relax by finding new songs to sing and practicing them. We usually go out once a week together. Dh never sang much, but even he has started to sing too. It's been fun for both of us.

Faithmanor here. I've been homeschooling for 12 almost 13 years. I have three boys, one girl - she's our homeschool graduate - one honorary daughter, one dog, one cat (who really annoys me in every way possible), five ducks, four lizards, one tree frog, one turtle, and one sheep - a bottle baby we saved who now resides mostly at a friend's farm.

I was on the board for a couple of years prior to 2006. However, when we bought a 100+ year old church and began renovating it into our home, I stopped participating in the boards until the worst of that project was over.

Dh and I have been very happily married for 24 years. He is an Oracle database architect with a math degree, and in my former life before babies, I was a professional classical pianist, music teacher, and for a while after the littles came, also a music therapist. We are science geeks of extreme degree; we lead the only exclusively STEM oriented 4-H club in our state and we mentor a competitive rocketry team. My house, at all times, has various science projects and experiments in progress on every flat surface. I try not to think about it too much!

I just finished a term as a part-time guidance counselor and chem teacher at a local private school and will not be continuing. I also work occasionally at a quilt store - quilting being a mild obsession that I never seem to have time for. I haven't had the sewing machine plugged in since March. :glare:

Faith

I'm Excelsior! Acamemy. I picked that name through my dcs' Latin studies. I actually don't like the name anymore. There are several schools with that name, none of which we identify with. I was on the old board and remember vying for first post. We had four girls before doubling our crew. That is why my avatar says "school for girls". I am too lazy to change it.

HI, I'm Shannon. I think I may have posted on the old board, but mostly I lurked. I've been homeschooling for 10 years (since first Dc was old enough).

I have a degree in English and elementary education, which helps when people question my ability to homeschool. The only thing having the degree and teaching experience has helped me with is realizing that there are trends in education just like there are in fashion, so just because it's new doesn't mean it's better.

Even knowing my degree, people will still ask how I can possibly handle math. Dh is an accountant, so that usually answers that question (even though I am better at teaching math). Dh is also an artist. He paints landscapes which are on display at various galleries along the east coast.

We homeschool for a variety of reasons as mentioned by others, ability to spend time together as a family, religion, academics, lifestyle.

We have 3 dogs. I like our cat better, but the dogs don't seem to know that! Our old border collie is mine and Ds and Dd each have their own dog for 4H and some AKC events.

Our entire family enjoys hiking, gardening, dog training (well, I may not always enjoy it), reading, ice skating, horseback riding.

My hobbies are reading, writing, piano, cooking/baking, sometimes sewing and drawing/painting ---when I have time.

I have fibromyalgia or one of the auto-immune disorders, depending on which doctor you want to believe. My health has had a huge impact on our lives and often makes homeschooling difficult.

Hello, I'm Karin. :D

I have two girls and will be married to my wonderful dh eight years come this September. :D

I am a conservative, fundamental, Bible believing, Zionist Christian. :D

I'm a vegetarian and a compulsive "mover", I can't deal with being still. Neither can my girls. :D

Edited by MissKNG

I'm Kara! I've only been here for (almost) a year.

I'm 29 and have been married to my DH for almost 11 years. :)

We have 3 kids - Link, age 8, AstroBoy, age 6, and Pinkalicious, age 3. Link will be starting 3rd grade next school year (we start mid-July) and Astro will be technically starting 1st, though he'll have a fair amount of 2nd grade work. We've just finished up our first year of homeschooling.

We have several reasons for homeschooling, and academics is high on the list. :)

We're also 'conservative Christians' though I'm not 100% what that means. ;) I'm a crazy list maker and planner - I currently have all of next year's lessons planned out. :) I'm working on field trips. :lol:

Heya.

I have 7 yo twins. We live in DC. We've always planned to homeschool. I'm obsessed with children's books. I've apparently stumbled into a homeschool career of directing Shakespeare productions.

Before this, I taught high school and middle school. I was the dean of students at a tiny Quaker school for quirky, awesome kids who had fallen through the cracks at other schools. I also taught English to elementary school kids in China.

My name is Chelli (pronounced Shelly).

I have been homeschooling for 4 years.

We started out homeschooling for academic reasons (our district is AWFUL!), but now it's morphed into a lifestyle, and I'm not sure the kids would ever go back to ps even if we moved to a great district.

I have been married for 10 years to my preacher man husband.

In my former life I was an 8th grade teacher, a secretary for an insurance agent, head of the payroll department for a large factory, and through college I worked as the front desk clerk for a Holiday Inn.

I love the boards and have learned so so much from them. I call it my teacher training courses! :D

I'm Peach, soon to be 31. We live in Iowa not by choice, but because a job was found out here. We have 7 children, 6 mine, 4 his and expecting our next in August. Only 4 of our children live with us full time and they are 9, (almost) 5, (almost) 3, and 14months (the only girl out of 7). I have no clue why I wanted to homeschool but it seems for the best as my oldest has dyslexia and a speech problem. I'm not sure how long I'll homeschool but the kids seem to think it's the greatest thing in the world. I'm running with it. :tongue_smilie: I don't really have any hobbies at this time because there never actually seems to be time to do anything. :lol: I'm hopeful about getting the chicken coop cleaned up soon and getting chickens. My (almost) 5 year old wants white and black chickens while I want something unique. I think he's going to win.

I'm Fraidy, a Canadian with a green card :001_smile:. Newbie homeschooler this year. My hubby is a Marine, we met online...having an argument in a chat room. :lol:

Two offspring, in my siggie.

I'm on my IPad and it's not fun typing on here so may edit for grammar and content later on computer.

Ok.....Intro Part 2............................................................

I've been married to my DH for 11 years. We've lived in 5 states in that time. We decided to homeschool mainly because...1) we seem have nomadic tendencies :D 2) DD asked if we could. Since we made the decision to homeschool and the research started in earnest, I've discovered thousands more reasons to homeschool and can't imagine it any other way, now.

My hobbies are reading, rearranging furniture and whole rooms (yes, I do it THAT often), hanging out on support forums and reading blogs. I'd like to someday learn how to sew and can (food preservation).

Edited by fraidycat