Menu

How do you sharpen coloring pencils?

For Crayola we use an electric sharpener at home or if we've brought them with us somewhere we use a hand sharpener. For our more expensive pencils we use a hand sharpener.

Sometimes colored pencils will break inside from being dropped and it has nothing to do with the sharpener.

Well, I was sharpening in a very bad way so don't feel stupid. This web page has a video. Scroll way, way down to "How to Sharpen Prismacolor Colored Pencils".

I do not have Prismacolor pencils or that sharpener. The sharpener I have was at an art museum gift shop for about $8 and it is the best I've ever used.

Well, I was sharpening in a very bad way so don't feel stupid. This web page has a video. Scroll way, way down to "How to Sharpen Prismacolor Colored Pencils".

I do not have Prismacolor pencils or that sharpener. The sharpener I have was at an art museum gift shop for about $8 and it is the best I've ever used.

:lol: Thanks!!

Great vid and cool site!

We have one of the old timey hand sharpeners that is on the wall. So if say all the pencils are kept in a plastic shoebox and have been toted around, droppped on occasion etc then the leads are most likely broke inside them then?

From watching the video on the other post it seems like a wall sharpener is the right way...the blades are moving not the pencil. Do graphite pencils break too?

I had an art teacher who was adamant that we not drop pencils because of breakage inside. Though we use crayola a lot and have not been extra careful or anything and haven't had breaking issues. Could be something that happened before they were purchased too.

If it were me and all the Crayola were breaking and the sharpener works great on regular pencils, I'd call Crayola and see what they suggest and if it's possible it was a bad batch.