Menu

What is the story behind your username?

besroma

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I am pretty happy, "Happy girl" sounded too nice so I adopted the grrl spelling.

From urban dictionary:

1. grrl

[/url]

An alteration to the word "girl." This alternate spelling indicates a different class or type of girl. Most notably, lesbian and bisexual girls have adopted this spelling to describe themselves as an outcast or different type of the typical "girl."

Additionally, and less s*xually arousing, all girls who feel that they rebel, practice feminism and punk rock enough to be identified as separate from the typical "girl" also adopt the spelling of "grrl", or "girrl", "gurrl", etc.

I guess I am less s*xually arousing :glare:

I like the second definition best:

2. Grrl

A girl with plenty of Grrrrrrrrrr!! :D

I was in a snit the day I signed up... :lol:

No, seriously. I had stopped to talk with one of my (thankfully former) neighbors after taking DS1 (then 2 months old) for a walk. We had a nice chat, yada yada... and then I made some comment about how I had lost track of time and had to go. She asked why and I replied that I needed to go put the bread in the oven and get dinner started. She just glared at me for about a minute with a disgusted look and then exclaimed, "Well aren't you an ambitious housewife!" and then turned around and stormed off.

I kid you not.

This is also the woman that, about a month later, banged on my door and tried to tell me that I had to stop cooking because her DH thought that my food smelled good and was wanting something something other than frozen dinners and (I quote) she "... wasn't going to be some man's slave!" :001_huh:

So... yeah. That is how I came up with my name. I've kind of thought of changing it because some times it just seems so presumptuous, but I've never gotten around to actually doing that...

Funny. I had a neighbor when we lived in AZ tell me that I was making everyone else look bad because I cooked, ironed, sewed and baked. All I could think was, "Well if you put your kid to bed at a decent hour instead of letting him (18-24 mths at the time) rule the roost, you'd be able to sleep and do things for your family too."

She was always complaining that he was up until midnight every night.

I used to always use Mattattsmama on boards - Matt and Att are parts of my two DS's middle names, but then we added our daughter, and her middle name is Ruta...so Rutamattatt it became!

I always feel a lot of pressure choosing a user name, too. Waaaaaay back when DH and I were engaged, he told me I needed to get an email address. Well, he was a chemical engineer major at the time and I figured this whole idea of "sending notes on the computer" was just a nerd thing and would never catch on...so I real quick picked a nickname my sister used to call me.

14 years later I am still using this embarrassing email address. :001_huh:

My dh is a mandolin player and builder. He uses mandofool on the bluegrass board he frequents, as he is a fool for the mandolin. So I am mandowife in appreciation for the mandolin.

Although at another board someone read it as man do wife and thought it was a reference to caveman pulling my hair or something.

Mine is a nickname that my daughter gets teased with a little. The whole Nemo movie thing with Dory saying "yes I'm a natural blue" and that not all there personality, and yet she's kinda smart, that's my little girl.

She's a carbon copy of me:tongue_smilie:

My name sort of comes from a long bout with Lyme Disease. My doc had me drinking gallons and gallons of lemon water, and DH used to joke about the Lemon Lime drink - Sprite, only the Lime in my drink was Lyme. (Does anyone else remember those old commercials from the 80s, for Sprite?) ...Actually, the whole thing makes no sense, now that I try to type it out.

How 'bout we just go with this - I'm a shortie, definitely on the small side, and I do love elves, sprites, and other (pretend) magical creatures? :D

I really enjoyed reading this thread! I have a smile on my face!

Mine is "bacon lover" without the spaces and vowels. Since I discovered bacon (um, around age 1), I have had some form of bacon-related nickname. Bacon, baconhead, oinky.....I LOVELOVELOVE bacon! My mother always had to shoo me away when she was making it. As a teen, if it was getting late in the morning and she wanted me up, she would just put on some bacon. I would emerge within 10 minutes. True story!

As an adult, I search far and wide for the "perfect" bacon. Pastured, organic, uncured, local.....blahblahblah. (is there such thing as a bacon connoisseur?? I have been to a bacon-tasting. It was divine!!)

Okay, nuff said.

(just finished eating some, actually...on my blt)

:)

Well I kept changing names because I kept moving (AF family). So I was Chris in NM or something like that, then Chris in Belgium, then SpaceCoastChris, then I just got tired of it all and changed to TransientChris. Which is pretty funny since now dh is finally talking about retiring sometime in the next few years and we will probably stay here. But I did move once since I had that name so it did come in useful for a short while. And although we do want to stay here, if he gets a great offer someplace else, we may move again.

Um...if you've read my posts, it becomes pretty obvious ;)

I always thought the imp was that cutie in your avatar!

Totally wish I would have gone this direction and picked something more clever! Love Firefly.

You can't take the sky from me.......

Cool, fellow Firefly fans! :D

Kubiac is the name of the bad guy in an old TV show called Parker Lewis Can't Lose. I always remember them screaming his name in a certain way. "KUUUUUBIAC!!!" Mostly, kubiac is one of many usernames I use when I'm not sure I want to commit my real online person to a messageboard. Considering how much I'm on here, I should have committed!

When we first started homeschooling we attempted to join a couple of co-ops in our area. We refused to sign their statements of faith because we're not religious and were told that we were heathens.:lol: It made me laugh and I've called my guys my "heathen childs" ever since.

So, I'm Mama to 2 heathens! :D

I always thought the imp was that cutie in your avatar!

Nope, that's Princess as a baby. One of those once in a lifetime shots!

Kubiac is the name of the bad guy in an old TV show called Parker Lewis Can't Lose. I always remember them screaming his name in a certain way. "KUUUUUBIAC!!!" Mostly, kubiac is one of many usernames I use when I'm not sure I want to commit my real online person to a messageboard. Considering how much I'm on here, I should have committed!

I remember that show!

The avatar is a nod to the Greatest Cartoon Ever (possibly tied with Scooby Doo).

I was Lindana on another board for awhile. I absolutely LOVE P&F.

Mine is easy. I live less than 1/2 mile from the beach, and we live pretty simple lives. "Simply Beachy" was taken, so I am "Just Beachy."

:) Beachy

My whole life revolves around education. I'm a full time college student, and (um, hopefully....) in 2013 I'll be starting graduate school. And, of course, I home school DD. Anytime not in class or teaching DD is spent doing homework, planning DD's work, researching curriculum, etc. 9 times out of 10 if I have free time, I'm reading or researching something just because I want to know about it.

The X is a multiplication symbol. education times 2. Because there are two of us.

(On a related side note, I hate coming up with user names. Really. I never know what to use.)

Trixie rocks!

:D

Yes, she does!!! These were my favorite books when I was a kid. I continued to buy them well into my high school and maybe even my college years because I wanted to have an entire set to pass onto my daughters one day.

Imagine my horror when my mother gave them all away to a friend's daughter. Not loan -- GAVE!!!

But, yeah. She rocks.

In a previous forum I used my state + my first name. Only, we no longer live in that state (although I still identify with it, very much) and where we do live, and the nature of / topic of this board, means I need to remain a bit more anonymous.

So, I just took the name I use on my blog (after I changed us over to nicknames a while ago, for a similar reason); I felt comfortable having my online persona be linked between here, my blog, how I sign when I comment on other blogs, etc.

The Reader -- because I gave every family member a nickname based on some aspect of their personality when I did the blog nicknames. And, in our family, I am most definitely the reader. I just carried that name over here when I joined this forum.

It's similar to my Xbox Live name. When DH was signing up eons ago, he let the random name generator pick for him, and it was ******Barbecue. When I signed up, I switched the words around for my gamer tag. I dropped the other word and added "Mom" for my username here.

Maybe I should change my gamer tag to BarbecueMom now. It would be cool to see "You were assassinated by BarbecueMom" in the action log.

I've always sung the song 5 Little Monkeys to my dc when they are little, which started when my two youngest would get on my big king size bed and jump for hours, and since I have 5 dc and they behave like monkeys (including the occasional poop flinging (there's a story there), the name just seemed natural.

It's similar to my Xbox Live name. When DH was signing up eons ago, he let the random name generator pick for him, and it was ******Barbecue. When I signed up, I switched the words around for my gamer tag. I dropped the other word and added "Mom" for my username here.

Maybe I should change my gamer tag to BarbecueMom now. It would be cool to see "You were assassinated by BarbecueMom" in the action log.

I am having an extreme case of thinking I've played Rainbow Six or Halo with someone with Barbecue in their name...could that be you?

Is that Chuck in your avatar? Love the cheeks!

Yes it is! That was back on Halloween, she was a little love bug. You can't see the wings, but she was so cute. I put makeup on her cheeks and nose *sigh* She's not crawling anymore. She's walking now *sniff sniff* and climbing *grumbles grumbles grumbles* Still got the good kissable cheeks though!

I've shared before, but I'll share again.

My hubby is a gearhead and we have spent countless hours at car shows, fixing up our own classic cars, and dreaming about the cars we will one day own. It is very common in the hot rod industry to spell crazy with a "k". My dh started using emails/screen names with krazzy (the extra z making him different. You know, because the k didn't.) And so when I went to look for my own screen name, it just fit that I would be the krazzymommy. At the time, it didn't really dawn on me that this was an educational forum and not a hot rod forum. :D Not only does the name make no sense to anyone here, but everyone thinks I can't spell. I've thought a lot about changing it, but it would really stink to go from one bad screen name to another and I'm just not that creative. :tongue_smilie: