Menu

My Maytag Washing Machine

Is a piece of JUNK. I paid $547, not including tax, for this thing at the very end of November 06. I've had a service man out no less than 4 times and possibly as many as 6. I've made at least 15 phone calls to various departments at Maytag as well as local repair shops. They replaced the same part twice and did other things to it as well. I am very very unhappy. Why oh why, won't Maytag just replace it and make me happy again? Their policy is that is must be declared 'unrepairable' in order to replace it. Interesting. I would think after 4-6 attemps in just over a year it would be unrepairable. I wonder if they think I am just trying to rip them off? If so, it would be the hardest $547 I've ever 'earned' let me tell ya.

The dryer is great. I love love love my matching dryer which I purchased the same day. Can you believe it dries a full load of clothes before the washing machine finishes a load? I like the dryer. I'd go on TV and tell all of American what a great dryer Maytag has manufacturered. However, they'd have to agree to give me equal air time to get this Maytag Washing Machine hatred out of my system.

Ok. That's all. We will now return to regular scheduled programming.

Is a piece of JUNK. I paid $547, not including tax, for this thing at the very end of November 06. I've had a service man out no less than 4 times and possibly as many as 6. I've made at least 15 phone calls to various departments at Maytag as well as local repair shops. They replaced the same part twice and did other things to it as well. I am very very unhappy. Why oh why, won't Maytag just replace it and make me happy again? Their policy is that is must be declared 'unrepairable' in order to replace it. Interesting. I would think after 4-6 attemps in just over a year it would be unrepairable. I wonder if they think I am just trying to rip them off? If so, it would be the hardest $547 I've ever 'earned' let me tell ya.

The dryer is great. I love love love my matching dryer which I purchased the same day. Can you believe it dries a full load of clothes before the washing machine finishes a load? I like the dryer. I'd go on TV and tell all of American what a great dryer Maytag has manufacturered. However, they'd have to agree to give me equal air time to get this Maytag Washing Machine hatred out of my system.

Ok. That's all. We will now return to regular scheduled programming.

*nodding in sympathy* I had the same problem with Maytag. We eventually sold it back to the store we bought it from and they applied that credit to a new Whirlpool set. I was very disappointed in Maytag's quality and customer service.

Well my Maytag hasn't been that bad. Actually I have had a Whirlpool and a Kenmore and had problems with ALL of them. The first Maytag I got totally broke in a matter of days, and Sears replaced that one for free. Then two years later I had major repairs, and again two years after that I just had more major repairs. But like I said my other machines needed major repairs as well, so it seems to be the norm now. :mad:

Here in Oregon we have a lemon law, check it out in your state. It requires the whole item to be replaced if the same issue comes up more than x amount of times in y years. :D Obviously I only know the general idea and not the specifics.

Heather

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. I bought a Maytag washer in 1994 and it's still going strong. Obviously, their standard of quality has gone down since then. I hope you get this resolved soon.

Diann

We bought our Maytag set in 1994 too. Washer and dryer are both doing great but I hear that Maytag isn't what it used to be.

• 1 month later...

I figured since I trashed Maytag/Whirlpool on a public forum the least I could do is give them equal time now that they have come through for me.

Since my last post they replaced the entire transmission. That lasted one month before the same thing started all over again. So I called back and they have agreed to give me a product exchange!!! I'm so happy. I can choose anything from the Maytag, Whirlpool and Amana line. Any amount over the original amount I paid of $547 will be my responsibility...which is totally fine and terrific.

The lesson here is do. not. give. up.

The Maytag washer we bought in 2001 was a lemon. LEMON!!! We had so many service calls that I couldn't begin to count them. We had just a few months left on our extended service agreement (though we had been forced to pay out-of-pocket for several calls they deemed "our fault" that weren't) when I finally gained a sympathetic ear.

They gave us credit for the full purchase price toward the purchase of any machine we wanted. We opted for a Seimens front loader and I have greatly enjoyed using it.

The Maytag dryer is a gem and we chose not to replace it. It works wonderfully still.

My maytags were wonderful. I loved the front loader. It was terrific. It had been recommended by consumer reports as the best front-loader that year. I think that was around 2001. I was happy that I could afford a high-end washer finally after having the same cheap washer for 12 years. The washer and dryer were perfect for about 4 years. The dryer died first. The estimate to fix it was over $400. I replaced it with a much cheaper dryer. The washer died the next year. The computer chip that tells that the door was closed died. The price to replace the computer chip was over $475. I bought a $200 top-load, high-capacity washer that doesn't have a computer chip to tell it when the door is shut. I am happy. I can wash 15 towels in one load.

The Maytag washer we bought in 2001 was a lemon. LEMON!!! We had so many service calls that I couldn't begin to count them. We had just a few months left on our extended service agreement (though we had been forced to pay out-of-pocket for several calls they deemed "our fault" that weren't) when I finally gained a sympathetic ear.

They gave us credit for the full purchase price toward the purchase of any machine we wanted. We opted for a Seimens front loader and I have greatly enjoyed using it.

The Maytag dryer is a gem and we chose not to replace it. It works wonderfully still.

Wow. I saw you reference this over on the other washer thread. My neighbor works for Whirlpool and she got me a phone number to the executive office or I am certain I would STILL be talking to the tech line. My neighbor tells me that the washing machines with Maytag name on them now are being produced in the Whirlpool plants. So from here on out I don't think the Maytag brand will be a problem.

• 1 month later...

I have my new washing machine! It is not identical to my dryer, but that is ok. The delivey guy said it is a MUCH better machine than the one I had before and that one has been discontinued (can't imagine why!) The tub is a tad smaller and harder to reach into (which is why I chose that other Maytag in the first place, but oh well), but the good part is that it is soooooooo much quieter than the other one.

Yippee! Thanks Maytag/Whirlpool.

Glad you got it replaced!

The Maytag repair guy is NOT allowed back in my house. Which means the darn stove burner STILL isn't working right. I'll duke it out with Best Buy when ours opens here (we have service with them and extended it for this reason).

UGH.

I should have know it would go bad when he argued with me on the directions to my house. "Then i turn right." No, left. "Well, my map and directions say right." Go right ahead then..... i thought *I* knew how to get to my house. Guess not. He called about 30 minutes later lost. HMPH. Really?

I'm so glad you got it figured out!! We didn't have such good luck with Maytag. We bought a dishwasher a few years ago. We had the repairman out 4 times the first year. We asked them to replace the stinkin' machine. They wouldn't. They said they stand behind their products through the warranty. Thing was, we had to wait two weeks EVERY time the darn thing broke down. Anyway, we then asked if they'd pay for the extended warranty. They wouldn't. We then went on to have the stupid repair guy out every 4 - 6 months for the rest of the time we owned the house. We decided to hand wash our dishes after a while.

Now we are in a new house with a REALLY old machine that washes our dishes better than that stupid $700 machine in our other house!