Menu

Calling our in house physical therapists

I went to PT for the first time today. I have to go 3 days a week for a frozen shoulder. The therapist gave me a lecture about doing my home exercises. I don't mind doing them at all. I've been assigned 4 exercises 5 to 6 times a day But I need to know if I'm suppose to work through the fatigue or build up to 5 to 6 times a day.

I feel like I should have done these exercises twice this afternoon, but the fatigue in my arm is so bad (lack of exercise) I don't know if I can pick up the stick or the pulleys.

Do I work through it or up to it?

I'm not a physical therapist, but I am a personal trainer and I deal with an older population (not that you're "older") and lots of post-PT rehab. I would say fatigue gets worked through, pain does not. The point of the exercise is to work to the point of failure, by fatiguing the muscles. That's what builds strength. If you can physically do it again, do it. The next time, it will be harder to get to that point, and so on.

You know the difference between "wow, that muscle hasn't been worked in a while and that sort of doesn't feel great" and "I've injured something".

I went to PT for the first time today. I have to go 3 days a week for a frozen shoulder. The therapist gave me a lecture about doing my home exercises. I don't mind doing them at all. I've been assigned 4 exercises 5 to 6 times a day But I need to know if I'm suppose to work through the fatigue or build up to 5 to 6 times a day.

I feel like I should have done these exercises twice this afternoon, but the fatigue in my arm is so bad (lack of exercise) I don't know if I can pick up the stick or the pulleys.

Do I work through it or up to it?

Not a PT, I've had a frozen shoulder. I would guess you do as much as you can--but the more you move, the better off you are. Why don't you call your PT and ask what s/he meant though. Usually a PT gives you what they think will be your "cutting edge" amount, but they can misjudge.

I'm not a physical therapist, but I am a personal trainer and I deal with an older population (not that you're "older") and lots of post-PT rehab. I would say fatigue gets worked through, pain does not. The point of the exercise is to work to the point of failure, by fatiguing the muscles. That's what builds strength. If you can physically do it again, do it. The next time, it will be harder to get to that point, and so on.

You know the difference between "wow, that muscle hasn't been worked in a while and that sort of doesn't feel great" and "I've injured something".

Okay. I just don't want to cause any more damage than I have already. Or seize up a muscle that actually works the way it is supposed to.

Not a PT, I've had a frozen shoulder. I would guess you do as much as you can--but the more you move, the better off you are. Why don't you call your PT and ask what s/he meant though. Usually a PT gives you what they think will be your "cutting edge" amount, but they can misjudge.

Because I didn't think about it until after closing. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

Because I didn't think about it until after closing. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

:lol: Oops. Thought you meant for the week. It's not going to hurt anything to go lightly the first day and then call and ask the next day and go from there. From my experience, with frozen shoulder, they want to break stuff up, not baby anything, but I don't want to tell you something wrong! I actually asked my PT (mostly joking) whether he had done mean things to animals as a kid! Owee.