Menu

What would be the appropriate punishment for these little darlings?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be so appalled at the horrible cruelty, and dirty language, my child would be lucky to have any privileges for the rest of their teenage lives. I would actually ask the school to expel them, and I would seriously getting the police involved if at all possible just to make my kid realize how seriously wrong their behaviour was. That being said, if their parents were really involved I have a hard time believing that the kids would be this bad.

My 7 year old daughter walked in the room and asked what was wrong and I gave her a brief, age appropriate, summary of the story. She says they should have a spanking, and have to go to bed early every day for a year. And maybe have to give their toys away to kids that needed them so that they would learn to be kind to other people and care for them. Made me smile a little.

I have to agree with the author. I think the behavior of teens has gotten much worse now that they now longer fear someone beating the crap out of them. Some people just need a good butt-kicking. But, that is not the world we live in. So...

The bus driver should have taken the kids back to the school, made their parents pick them up and banned them from riding the bus for at least a calendar year. Riding the bus should be a privilege.

Oh my goodness. That is beyond shocking. Police involvment would be good, and I think a whole lot of har labour community service as punishment. I don't think they should be expelled from school, but I don't think they should be allowed on buses anymore either.

If that was my kid, I don't know what I'd do.

:rant:

So help me if I EVER found out one of my children had engaged in such unabashed bullying and disrespect of ANYBODY, that child would think thier entire world had come crashing to a halt!

I can promise that at the following would be the starting place of their consequences/restitution:

1-a sincere, handwritten, letter of apology, delivered in person and read aloud to the verbally abused bus monitor

2-a multiple page essay covering the character traits shown and lacking in that incident. (maybe a page for every minute of rudeness)

3-a lot of walking to school or paying for gas for someone else to cart him/her to school for a really long time

4-a whole lot of time volunteering at a nursing home or senior center

5-the loss of everything of value and enjoyment until mom completely chilled plus a week for every minute of verbal abuse

6-a new set of friends since that group seem to feed off each other

7-an education in the definition of verbal abuse, and how it can damage

Then DH could add his consequences.

I have to agree with the author. I think the behavior of teens has gotten much worse now that they now longer fear someone beating the crap out of them. Some people just need a good butt-kicking. But, that is not the world we live in. So...

The bus driver should have taken the kids back to the school, made their parents pick them up and banned them from riding the bus for at least a calendar year. Riding the bus should be a privilege.

As usual :iagree:

I would hope the parents would be all over these kids like ducks on a june bug, but I share PP suspicion that the parents are probably not overly involved if the kids are comfortable carrying on like that. I could only watch about 30sec of the video before I had to stop it.

I would hope the administration banned those delinquents in training from the bus for the remainder of that year in addition to some suspension time. I do not know if the police could do anything more than talk to the kids, but I would be sure that they did at least that.

My daughter misbehaved on the bus once. Yes it was only once. My oldest goes to public school and during her 8th year her and a few friends decided to throw tampons at each other. Yes they were new never used. She was punished by the school by losing the bus for 3 days. She was punished by me in the fact she had to pay me 10 a day for my driving her back and forth to school. That is a 40 mile round trip twice a day.

She also lost computer, phone, dish TV, and was busy with chores every waking second for a month. Chores way out of her normal range. She was made publicly apologize to the bus driver for her rudeness. She will never misbehave on a bus again. If she had behaved like these kids God help her.

As my bio used to say her a$$ would have been grass. It would be a long and lonley road for her the remaining of her highschool years that is for sure.

1. We need corporal punishment back.

2. There has always been scum in schools but when I went through there were also large numbers of good kids. We would have stepped in (after we recovered from the shock, such a thing was inconceivable back then). Of course today smacking one of those punks around would get the good student in trouble.

....of course we (the taxpayer) will be keeping them in welfare or prison for years to come. Yet another PS success story!!!

Edited by pqr

:rant:

1-a sincere, handwritten, letter of apology, delivered in person and read aloud to the verbally abused bus monitor

2-a multiple page essay covering the character traits shown and lacking in that incident. (maybe a page for every minute of rudeness)

3-a lot of walking to school or paying for gas for someone else to cart him/her to school for a really long time

4-a whole lot of time volunteering at a nursing home or senior center

5-the loss of everything of value and enjoyment until mom completely chilled plus a week for every minute of verbal abuse

6-a new set of friends since that group seem to feed off each other

7-an education in the definition of verbal abuse, and how it can damage

Then DH could add his consequences.

Exactly!!!! I'm guessing these kids parents probably don't do much in the way of punishments though.

Brenda

Wow. That's Lord of the Flies-style, truly anti-social behavior.

I certainly agree that at the least they should lose bus privileges for an entire year. They have to learn that society is not obligated to put up with anti-social behavior.

I think it would be right for them to make some reparations to the school, as well. They have disgraced themselves, the school, and the town. Letters of apology and community service wouldn't be too much.

Here's the school's statement.

I don't know what I would do, honestly. I watched the entire video. It was more or less the same cr@p that I listened to directed at me and other fat kids every single school day on the bus when I was in school. It wasn't surprising. Just another reason I don't want my children going to public school.

ETA: Actually, it isn't so much that I don't know what I'd do, but that I can't imagine my kids acting that way. That, and every time I think about what I'd do, I'm pretty sure none of it is legal.

Edited by happymomofboys

If my kid acted like that I would need to pray and pray hard that I wouldn't beat them until they were a blubbering, snotty nosed mess.

I'm not really proud that that's my first inclination...

again mine? Any toy, game, movie, item of clothing, or thing that they treasured and enjoyed would be gone. They would have lots of volunteering, hard labor, and not a lot of empathy from me. An apology for sure. Perhaps walking to school with sandwich board of some sort. A lot of family together time and a lot of private despondency from me that I raised a kid so horrible.

Well for starters my kids would no longer be riding the bus, in fact I feel that I would have to be sure that i could trust they could conduct themselves properly and likely not only take them to and from school but stay in class with them to ensure tehy were showing proper respect to other authority figures in their life. That is if they didn't get suspended from the school for this stunt.

At home all priveledges and freedoms would be long gone. They would be doing service for this woman as a form of restitution, as well as apologizing not only to the monitor but to the driver and the rest of the student body on the bus for such abusive behaviour. Complete house arrest when not at school.

And that is if I didn't respond by kicking their butts from here until next week. Then of course comes the fessing up to the grandparents, aunts/uncles etc. If it is being posted like this my kids would have to come clean before the relatives found out via the web. I can only imagine the reaction of all of them if they found out my kids did something like this.

Lastly I would smack myself upside the head, and put myself under house arrest with my kid for failing so badly to raise them to have a better character than that. If my kids acted like such uncivilized brutes it is because I screwed up in my parenting along the way.

On the beautiful side of the internet, people have donated 39,000 to give Karen Klein a vacation. Hope it actually makes it to her.

http://www.indiegogo.com/loveforkarenhklein

On the ugly and scary, 4chan is attempting to identify and release the personal information of the involved (or allegedly involved) kids. Thankfully

Onto the heartbreaking, one kid told her she was so ugly her kids should kill themselves. Reality? She lost a child to suicide 10 years ago.

I couldn't hack it for more than a minute or so.

Honestly, I would be hard pressed not to break some or all of the child abuse laws. At least, that's my first, brutally honest, knee jerk reaction.

The little ****** that did that to that poor woman need a serious a$$kicking. Since that's illegal to do, physically, I'd settle for other forms.

I'd have them working for her. Yard work, cleaning out basement, garage, whatever. Then again, she likely wouldn't feel safe if any of them knew where she lived.

So, they'd be out cleaning up garbage. Yard work for anyone in the community. They'd be working their a$$ off doing the nastiest, dirtiest, most disgusting jobs that Wolf and I could possibly find...and it would be for at LEAST the entire summer, if not for an entire year.

That's off the top of my head. I'm too angry to think properly right now.

I know children of un-parents who will probably abuse others in a very similar manner in the future. In fact, they've done it since their pre-school ages, excused, glossed over or completely ignored.

Honestly, I would be hard pressed not to break some or all of the child abuse laws. At least, that's my first, brutally honest, knee jerk reaction.

The little ****** that did that to that poor woman need a serious a$$kicking. Since that's illegal to do, physically, I'd settle for other forms.

I'd have them working for her. Yard work, cleaning out basement, garage, whatever. Then again, she likely wouldn't feel safe if any of them knew where she lived.

So, they'd be out cleaning up garbage. Yard work for anyone in the community. They'd be working their a$$ off doing the nastiest, dirtiest, most disgusting jobs that Wolf and I could possibly find...and it would be for at LEAST the entire summer, if not for an entire year.

No kidding. And that would be after the screaming and beating trailed off.

And this:

If either one of my kids ever did something like this, I don't think I'd ever sleep again -- just lie awake at night for the rest of my life wondering what I did wrong.
and how I could undo it.

I thought the whole POINT of a bus monitor was to keep this sort of thing from happening student-on-student?? :confused: Maybe bus monitors need to be armed with sticks, or tasers, or something.

I have always wondered if the "popular" radio talk shows promote this behavior.

They always seem to belittle their callers and call it entertaining.

Lara

Good point. I've heard that kind of behavior from both sides of the *fence*.

I am wondering how legit the donation site is.

This does remind me of a woman I met in central Oregon who was a bus driver for many years. She told me she had told her grown children that if they ever put her grandchildren on a bus, for any reason, even one time, she would disinherit them, because the buses in that particular area were so bad that it was dangerous. In particular she was concerned about molestation, which she said happened frequently, but which she was not allowed to stop, or report to school authorities. The school just did not want to know so they fired any driver who reported molestation, although they did not allow drivers to stop it either. Yuck.

I have always wondered if the "popular" radio talk shows promote this behavior.

They always seem to belittle their callers and call it entertaining.

Lara

Not the ones I listen to. And I doubt these middle schoolers act like this because they listen to an obnoxious radio talk show.

Wendi

I think it's a very sad commentary on our society that this woman, this grandmother and paid employee of the school system, who has earned respect as an elder and authority figure, didn't feel compelled or capable of reporting it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's her fault. But what does it mean when our elders don't feel safe among some punk kids?! Why did she feel so unable to get the kids straightened out in the moment, and unable to bring any consequences to them afterwards? How does this happen?!

I'm so sad for this woman, and for those kids, who are just a product of bad influence and probably some neglect. They should be held accountable, but who is going to hold those that let these kids down responsible? Who is going to make sure the parents, schools and teachers know that their inability to correct these behaviors is destroying our children? No one, because they are self-monitoring. And it's not working.

Funny, I cannot watch any reality TV (the Housewives shows, the dating show nonsense...) because it makes me sick how people talk to each other. Could the fact that this is how 90% of conversations on popular TV shows sound, and that so many kids are raised by their TVs these days, be contributing to this? I'd say so. We're one step closer to getting rid of all TV before my kids turn 8, this just pushes my buttons so hard...

My daughter just saw people are posting these kids numbers all over facebook and u-tube. They also were touching the driver. If I was one of these parents I think I would just die. I would be so shamed I would have to change my name and move. I would go to jail after the damage I would do to my kid

that is awful

Yeah. That pretty much sums it up.

If my kid did that?

I'd lay awake at night like a previous poster said.

Middle school. My 11 - 14 year olds? I can't even imagine it.

On the one hand, someone says make them do volunteering. Especially an elderly home or nursing home. But are you kidding me? I would be crazy LIVID getting a lawyer pronto if these were the kind of people having contact with my loved elderly family!

Idk. Things like this make me reconsider the wisdom of stopping pillory.

I thought the whole POINT of a bus monitor was to keep this sort of thing from happening student-on-student?? :confused: Maybe bus monitors need to be armed with sticks, or tasers, or something.

Why did she feel so unable to get the kids straightened out in the moment, and unable to bring any consequences to them afterwards? How does this happen?!

My guess is that she had no real authority. I bet she couldn't even give detentions. They probably put her on the bus to keep the kids safe and under control but don't give any tools to make that happen.

I forgot to say: if it was one of my kids? I don't even know, my heart would be CRUSHED, and I would be quite sure that I had massively failed as a parent.

Kids in packs can be bad :( (As can all people) I have to say that I'd probably belt my kid. Doesn't that sounds lovely? I can't even say I'd spank my child. I don't really spank my kids now, and I don't think "spank" is what you do to teens. (Obviously the goal should be to not be spanking a teen, even if you spank in younger years) If paddling happened in school, I'd be there to paddle them. That's how incredibly horrible I think that is.

I also would be beyond surprised :( I would probably take them out of school. I would wonder what happened to their empathy, good choices, and all the other questions that I can't even think about right now. I just can't imagine :( So, so, sad!! :(

So tonight while driving I was talking to ds13 about this story, I asked him what he thought would happen if he had been one of those boys. His response, "you'd beat my butt so bad I wouldn't be sitting before graduation". Yup that about sums it up.

If one of my boys did something like this, I would feel like I completely failed as a parent.

DH used to say that when he was a teen, he knew that if he ever did something stupid and got arrested, he would be much safer in a jail cell than going home with his father. That would apply in our family if one our kids acted like this.

If one of my boys did something like this, I would feel like I completely failed as a parent.

DH used to say that when he was a teen, he knew that if he ever did something stupid and got arrested, he would be much safer in a jail cell than going home with his father. That would apply in our family if one our kids acted like this.

The truth is that your children would not behave like this.

What was seen on the bus was the result of decades of coddling, of telling children "You are special", of refusal to adhere to basic standards of morality, of abandoning any standards of behavior, of removing all threat of punishment, of psychobabble rather than parenting, of screeching every time a parent spanks his child, of condemning the good kids when they stand up to the bad ones.

This is the world that the "experts" demanded when they decided that they knew better than a parent how to raise children, when psychobabble became the norm. These kids do not need a counselor, they will never understand why they were wrong, all that we can hope for is that when they leave school fear of real punishment will keep them from straying....but that is, alas, a forlorn hope.

Of course this is a wider problem, it is not just the way we raise children but society as a whole that faces enormous problems. A society that also refuses to maintain standards, that expects someone else to take responsibility for one's every need, that has discarded personal responsibility and accountability, that makes excuses for outrageous behavior.....well what did we really expect?

Edited by pqr

Yesterday I talked about this with my oldest and he was horrified that people would be that cruel to someone. I asked him if he knew how crazy I would go if he ever treated someone that way and he told me there was no way he would ever do that b/c it was just wrong.

I slept a little better last night knowing I wasn't a total failure as a parent.

I saw the clip as linked on YouTube and the poster listed the names of the kids involved. The school, the parents, the law . . . everyone needs to come down HARD on these kids. I'm thinking a Scared Straight kind of intervention.

Hmmm, it sounds like the parents may not need to lift a finger. An appalled society may make those boys lives pretty miserable!!

Actually, it's over $136,000 and her story is about to break on the Today Show.

http://www.indiegogo.com/loveforkarenhklein?c=comments

Some of the comments are suggesting funding a retirement for her.

As for the kids, it is plain scary some of the comments I've read. If I were the parent of one of those boys, I'd be very worried for my son's physical safety. I think they should be punished, but there are some real whackadoodles out there. I saw where one guy offered $1000 to the first person to give him the full name of the lead bully!

Something should have been done LONG before the suicide taunt. ANY disrespect for an adult involved in protecting these little hoodlums should have been dealt with immediately!

No one should have to put up with that.

My guess is that the school will do something like suspension or no riding the bus.....I hope that this will make the parents angry enough to be "put out" and make them actually have to parent the children.....not sure it will though.

:iagree:

My kids saw a brief bit of it as we were eating breakfast this morning and I stated this exact same thing. I too said that if they were mine they'd be providing service for an entire year to her and all her neighbors.

I have surely taught mine better. They better hope they NEVER pull a stunt like that towards another human being. I know recently my dd decided to step back from a friendship because the girl was starting to be condescending and mean...I'd seen it coming, but was trying to stay neutral with a little advice given when asked.

I agree with her... I haven't read through the rest of the thread yet... But I saw the video yesterday. I had two thoughts- #1 why isn't the bus being turned around and going back to school? And #2: boot camp.

I went back and watched the whole 10 min. Wow. It went beyond the fat stuff and the suicide comment. One asked for her address so he could come r*pe her, another asking if she r*ped someone and then there were multiple comments about stabbing her with a knife.

The beginning of the video was disturbing enough but that definitely took it up a notch for me.

Buses have always been horrid places for kids. I've never let my kid ride one, even in kindergarten and first grade. Some of the worst bullying was always at the bus stop and on the bus. And they were packed like sardines at my school. Everyone always wanted to get a another ride or walk.

The truth is that your children would not behave like this.

What was seen on the bus was the result of decades of coddling, of telling children "You are special", of refusal to adhere to basic standards of morality, of abandoning any standards of behavior, of removing all threat of punishment, of psychobabble rather than parenting, of screeching every time a parent spanks his child, of condemning the good kids when they stand up to the bad ones.

This is the world that the "experts" demanded when they decided that they knew better than a parent how to raise children, when psychobabble became the norm. These kids do not need a counselor, they will never understand why they were wrong, all that we can hope for is that when they leave school fear of real punishment will keep them from straying....but that is, alas, a forlorn hope.

Of course this is a wider problem, it is not just the way we raise children but society as a whole that faces enormous problems. A society that also refuses to maintain standards, that expects someone else to take responsibility for one's every need, that has discarded personal responsibility and accountability, that makes excuses for outrageous behavior.....well what did we really expect?

:iagree::iagree: 100%

Actually, it's over $136,000 and her story is about to break on the Today Show.

http://www.indiegogo.com/loveforkarenhklein?c=comments

Some of the comments are suggesting funding a retirement for her.

As for the kids, it is plain scary some of the comments I've read. If I were the parent of one of those boys, I'd be very worried for my son's physical safety. I think they should be punished, but there are some real whackadoodles out there. I saw where one guy offered $1000 to the first person to give him the full name of the lead bully!

Is it bad of me to believe that these monsters being in danger is the ONLY way they will understand how awful their behavior truly was? Society is horrified at them---and they should understand that actions like this go FAR beyond a time out or suspension, but could earn them a pack of outraged civilized human beings looking to really teach them a lesson in respect and proper behavior. They deserve to be scared".....

I wasn't able to get the video to load, but just reading the comments here is making me sick to my stomach. I do agree that buses have always been not-so-great environments. I remember walking a four-mile round trip every day in junior high because the bus ride was so awful I'd rather just walk the trip.

First, I would ball my eyes out because I'd feel like a failure as a parent if I didn't raise my children to respect their elders and NEVER speak this way to ANYONE. Then, I'd somehow contact this woman and setup a meeting with her, apologize profusely, and have my child do the same thing. I'd also probably contact the local news sites and tell them my child wants to make a public apology. Then I'd let the school take whatever appropriate action that they feel necessary and I would NOT defend my child. Sadly, I don't think much will happen to these punks. And I'm so glad that over $150k has been raise so far for this woman! She deserves every penny!

We don't use physical punishment, but we would be re-thinking the woodshed or maybe the 'pillory'. How in the world did their behavior ever get that bad in the first place? I don't get it? What the h*ll are the parents doing? Obviously nothing. We would never have allowed the behavior to get there in the first place. My fil raised 14 well behaved children who turned into 14 outstanding adult citizens. All he had to do was say something once. His children loved and respected him. He wasn't mean, he was fair, just and loving. What has happened to respect and honor. (I'm thinking of him because we just had his funeral last week, and I've always been in awe of him.) Different day and age, I guess.

Back in my day (late 60's/early 70's) the bus driver would have kicked the offender off the bus with the first offense/obscene word. I saw it happen. Are they no longer allowed to kick kids off? They should not be allowed back on the bus plus maybe community service. Hard labor?

We don't use physical punishment, but we would be re-thinking the woodshed or maybe the 'pillory'. How in the world did their behavior ever get that bad in the first place? I don't get it? What the h*ll are the parents doing? Obviously nothing. We would never have allowed the behavior to get there in the first place. My fil raised 14 well behaved children who turned into 14 outstanding adult citizens. All he had to do was say something once. His children loved and respected him. He wasn't mean, he was fair, just and loving. What has happened to respect and honor. (I'm thinking of him because we just had his funeral last week, and I've always been in awe of him.) Different day and age, I guess.

Back in my day (late 60's/early 70's) the bus driver would have kicked the offender off the bus with the first offense/obscene word. I saw it happen. Are they no longer allowed to kick kids off? They should not be allowed back on the bus plus maybe community service. Hard labor?

My dad drives bus. No. It is almost impossible to get a kid kicked off the bus. In twenty years he has had two kids temporarily banned. The school paid the parents to take the kid to school.:glare: One kid loved it. One kid in the district had a better parent. She drove him to school. She took his hand and escorted him to his first class. As he left his last class, she took his hand and led him back to the car. He was in high school.