Menu

What would be a good solid pre-algebra to use before Jacob's Algebra?

Hopefully one that explains conceptually what is going on, rather than just teaching in a formulaic way. This is for a non-mathy student.

It looks like Jacob's takes right off into Algebra, so I want her to have a good foundation, especially since she doesn't love math.

Thanks!

Hopefully one that explains conceptually what is going on, rather than just teaching in a formulaic way. This is for a non-mathy student.

It looks like Jacob's takes right off into Algebra, so I want her to have a good foundation, especially since she doesn't love math.

Thanks!

Actually, most folks say the first four chapters are a review of pre-algebra.

We used Dolciani's Pre-Algebra. My ds is strong in math, though. We liked it bc it was clear and systematic. Some of it may be over-kill for a non-mathy kid.

We used Dolciani's Pre-Algebra. My ds is strong in math, though. We liked it bc it was clear and systematic. Some of it may be over-kill for a non-mathy kid.

Yeah, Dolciani's would send her over the edge, for SURE!! I need something much more gentle (but thorough.)

DD 12 has been using BJU math for several years and we plan to use Jacobs Algebra next year. She's probably ready for Algebra now, but I want her to understand more of the why's before moving on.

We're going to use TT Pre-Algebra. DD12 is not a fan of TT, but DD15 has been using it successfully (scored in 90th% for math on PSAT in 9th grade compared to 10th graders in our state). I'm a big fan of the way TT explains concepts, whys, history and application in science, business and life. The problem sets may not be the hardest, but the lessons are well thought out and clearly presented in both the text and the CD-Roms. I especially like the additions they've made to TT Pre-Algebra 2.0 and it provides an excellent intro to Algebra with graphing, exponents, etc.

My 2 cents,

Ann