Menu

How to use Breaking the Spanish Barrier

I am planning for 9th grade. Ds will be adding Spanish this year. We're using BSB 1. Looking through it, I am not finding it all that easy to decide how to break it up for lessons. Has anyone found a way that seems to work well and doesn't mind sharing please? I am anticipating each chapter to take anywhere from 2-3 weeks on average. But how to actually divide it is not obvious for me.

Thank you!:001_smile:

We used BTB French 1 this year.

You might try something like this:

There are 10 lessons in "First Steps." Complete two a week for a total of 5 weeks.

The next 12 chapters will each take about two weeks for a total of 24 weeks.

5 + 24 = 29 weeks which will give you a little buffer in the school year in case any chapters take longer. Or you might add a midterm and final or add extra assignments like a letter written in Spanish, watch a movie in Spanish or read a few children's books.

As for splitting up the lessons, spend 1 week on the Vocab & Practice Exercises and spend the next week on the Oral Practice, Review (Prueba de Repaso) and Chapter Test.

There are 10 lessons in "First Steps." Complete two a week for a total of 5 weeks.

5 + 24 = 29 weeks which will give you a little buffer in the school year in case any chapters take longer. Or you might add a midterm and final or add extra assignments like a letter written in Spanish, watch a movie in Spanish or read a few children's books.

As for splitting up the lessons, spend 1 week on the Vocab & Practice Exercises and spend the next week on the Oral Practice, Review (Prueba de Repaso) and Chapter Test.

This was very helpful! Planning on using BTB French starting in September. I'm going to make sure to bookmark this info. :)

I would go their website;)

http://www.tobreak.com/

There are wonderful ideas & "free stuff" to help you use this program.

Also, I have called & talked to the author. I am sure he would love to help you with any scheduling questions you may have....:001_smile:

I have looked on the site and while helpful, somehow, I felt overwhelmed with how to actually jump in and implement. Maybe my frame of mind was just not right at the time. Stressful day today so maybe not the best time to try to figure it out, kwim?

I will call him to ask, thanks for the reminder. He is very nice! I spoke with him initially when ordering. I'll give him a call about this as well. Thanks!

I had decided to do the first 10 lessons in 2 weeks but kind of went ACK for the rest, lol. I plan on adding midterm and finals and extra assignments as well. And I am looking at Destinos videos to see how to use those as well.

Thanks for the ideas for all. I really appreciate it. I'm taking notes on all this to get it laid out for next term.