Menu

Random things...

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and that great timeline book! Directions? Did you bring it to Office Max to be bound?

Thank you so much! I had it bound at Staples (but I'm sure Office Max could do it too. We only have a Staples.) It still ended up being cheaper than buying a top-bound sketchbook. The directions are listed on the blog post, but if there is anything you would like me to clarify, please let me know. (The coloring on the top of each page was just done with a sideways crayon.)

Here is mine that is something I just need to say out loud. The girl that beat out my daughter for the lead that she had been dying for in a musical is just plain awful. I personally thought her singing audition was painful and even without my daughter in the equation, had I been directing she would not have made it past the first round. My other daughter and dh are in the show and I don't even want to go see it because the thought of listening to that child sing for two hours is just painful.

Ok, catty Mama Rose moment over. :001_smile:

I found a new shady spot to sit in and relax while reading. It turns out, it's very close to the path the deer like to take through our property. Every time they wander by, they bark at me.

Also, I think the so-called raccoon we have is actually a miraculous bear/coon hybrid, b/c that thing is enormous!

Meriwether-if it makes you feel better, I run through the dark house at night to turn on the light. And I am the crazy person in another thread who also admits to covering my wrists, ankles, and neck at night so that some sort of crazed monster doesn't kill me (because obviously...the sheet would stop them)

It isn't rational, is it? I've only called Dh once in the middle of the night. It was 12:00 or so and I hadn't managed to fall asleep yet. I told myself, "The dog is out on the front porch. He'll bark if anything is out there." I started to relax. It was an almost bearable 5 minutes until the dog started barking.:glare: I called Dh.

Me: The dog is barking.

Dh: At what?

Me: I don't know. I can't see.

Dh: Okay. (Long pause.) There is nothing there.

Me: I know. (Long pause.) I'm scared.

Dh: What can I say that will make you not scared?

Me: Nothing. I know my fear is unrational.

Unfortunately for Dh, it helped to have him on the line.:tongue_smilie:

I can laugh at myself and tell myself I'm being ridiculous. I just can't sleep.

Yesterday I received a letter addressed to

MyFirstName MyLastName

MySon'sFirstName MySon'sLastName, Deceased

Number Street Address

City, IL ZIP

I had to shake my head. Wow. Really? Maybe you thought I had forgotten and needed a reminder? So, thanks for that.

The mind reels.

The heart aches.

And you think, "Wait. Stop. Wait. What?"

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:How awful.

My DH is going to Canada for a month. He told me he doesn't want to be bothered by me ringing him while he is away.:crying::crying::crying:

:grouphug: Is he not a talker on the phone but would he text? If my dh told me that I would be very upset.

No he told me that the last few times he went ,and I rang him he found it extremely annoying. He told me it was one of the single most annoying things that I have done in our nearly 20 years of marriage.

I think I'd quit having tea parties. You know, how it is the single most annoying thing you've had to deal with in 20 years of marriage.

I might quit doing his laundry too. It is the second most annoying thing.

And cooking. Cooking is the 3rd most annoying thing.

And running errands for him since that is the 4th most annoying thing.

And possibly I'd go out and jumble up all the tools in the garage because it annoys me that they are so neat and tidy.

(No, I'm not spiteful at all)

:grouphug:

I'm hyperventilating. Are you seriously saying your dh is okay with going a whole month without contact with you and your dc? Is it that he wants to be the one to initiate the calls? Can he really mean he wants no phone calls at all for a whole month? Does he have another way of contact he prefers, such as email, text, Skype? I hope the answer is one of the above, because I can't fathom anything else.

Oh, you know if this is what her dh really does mean, then she can't call him to tell him about redecorating the living room or buying the new fridge or the week at the spa she and the kids are going to go on. And she certainly can't let him know that the bills won't be paid for that month.

(Sorry, my spiteful is showing again.)

You know I cannot fathom it either.

I thought I will slip a letter into his bag before he goes telling him that I love him, miss him and will be thinking of him every moment.... and hope he will ring me sometime...

No, don't be a softie.

Leave him a not in his bag telling him that you hope he has a wonderful time and that you love him. Also let him know that you have big plans for the time he is away. Hint at spending lots of money and possibly looking to buy a new house.

Betcha he calls you every single day to see what you've been up to.

ETA: When he does call you have to be strong and evasive. Along with sweet and devious. If you post here we will help you with things to say.

Edited by Parrothead

Oh, you know if this is what her dh really does mean, then she can't call him to tell him about redecorating the living room or buying the new fridge or the week at the spa she and the kids are going to go on. And she certainly can't let him know that the bills won't be paid for that month.

(Sorry, my spiteful is showing again.)

:iagree: I would have the best stinking month of my life - even if it killed me.

No, don't be a softie.

When he does call you have to be strong and evasive. Along with sweet and devious. If you post here we will help you with things to say.

I would have the best stinking month of my life - even if it killed me.

:iagree::iagree:

MelissaL, I just don't know what to say. I've been thinking about this all night and I can't imagine how you must feel. I hope you eventually start your own thread on this. I know if my dh had said this to me, I would need lots and lots of friendly support.

MelissaL, He might be walking funny the entire time he's gone because my size 10 would be shoved up his hiney. :group hug:

Mental Multivitamin - There are no words. :group hug: It's not remotely the same but I get choked up when I get mail for my grandma that's recently passed. It's just a sharp stab that life will never be as it was before.

Our Lab mix is a fascinating study in nurture vs nature. She has literally been petted and loved since birth and she has to be the center of attention at all times. Right now she's peering into the boy's room where the kitties are due to their small size and whining. She sticks her face in theirs and they freak out. I don't think she'd hurt them but she's big and they are tiny. The other two dogs are rescues and smell the kittens and go off and take a nap. They could care less.

It's too hot for words here today.

You know I cannot fathom it either.

I thought I will slip a letter into his bag before he goes telling him that I love him, miss him and will be thinking of him every moment.... and hope he will ring me sometime...

:grouphug: I can't fathom but I'm thinking something a little closer (but maybe not exactly it ;) ) would be more effective. That's hurtful and selfish and I don't usually say that because I'm a big softie.

Totally random:

I'm the only one awake at home, so I plugged Duran Duran into Pandora and I'm jamming 80's style!

Anything with the 80's music makes it better. I've been meaning to look into Pandora for a really long time.

I found a new shady spot to sit in and relax while reading. It turns out, it's very close to the path the deer like to take through our property. Every time they wander by, they bark at me.

Also, I think the so-called raccoon we have is actually a miraculous bear/coon hybrid, b/c that thing is enormous!

Have you seen How I Meet Your Mother and the cockamouse episode? It's hilarious and possibly related to your hybrid. :)

My random is I'm so unorganized lately! It's driving ME nuts at this point! I want it do only what I want it do and I'm letting things slip.

My dog's mouth is atrocious! He's about to turn 10 years old. We've had him since he was only 6 months old. He's the first pet as an adult I've had and cared for. Nobody (vets) said I needed to be brushing his teeth. Honestly, I feel stupid for saying it since I'm constantly harping my boys about brushing, but I never thought about it. His mouth smells like 100 dead fish! Ugh! lol Now they want hundreds of $ to put him to sleep and clean them but I don't read good things about that either. Ugh

Oh and I have a cat that drools when you pet her...anyone else have one that does that? It's so weird. I don't mean little drool either; it's a steady stream of slobber until you're grossed out enough by it to stop petting her. She only does it when you pet her. We have three other cats and they don't do this. She also likes to lick toes. She will not lick your fingers though she will gently bite at them to get you to pet her, but she loves to lick your toes.

:lol: She sounds confused and thinks she's a dog.

I love snakes here because they eat chipmunks and squirrels, whom I dislike intensely. The chipmunks and squirrels come and eat the bird seed I put out and they also like to dig up bulbs I plant.

We don't have deer here on this mountain. I think there is less of a deer problem here than there was in Northern VA (and PA had it even worse, when we would be driving around and seeing 20 deer at a time). My dh says it is because there are more hunters here. Probably right so it keeps the deer out of populated areas and properly in the undeveloped forests.

We do have all kinds of other critters here including armadillos, racoons, skunks, coyote, owls, rabbits, etc. None of these are doing any damage to my yard, unlike the squirrels and chipmunks. I wish they would stick to eating the nuts that we have in abundance since we live in a hickory oak forest.

Oh and I have a cat that drools when you pet her...anyone else have one that does that? It's so weird. I don't mean little drool either; it's a steady stream of slobber until you're grossed out enough by it to stop petting her. She only does it when you pet her.

We adopted a cat about a year ago that does that. He's 7 years old now and they warned us when we got him that he did that. When you pet him, he's happy and it's like turning on a faucet.

I started giving DS12 a buzz cut this morning. The clippers broke about 1/4 of the way into the haircut. He had a reverse mohawk that I tried to clean up with scissors. His hair looks horrible.

Oh, no! Hope you get the clippers fix or replaced soon.

Last night, I flew off my big girl's scooter and landed in the gravel driveway. My palms are scraped and so is my right knee. I am incredibly squeamish and almost passed out thinking about all the little stones that damaged my palms. My palms have little holes all over them.:crying:

My dog's mouth is atrocious! He's about to turn 10 years old. We've had him since he was only 6 months old. He's the first pet as an adult I've had and cared for. Nobody (vets) said I needed to be brushing his teeth. Honestly, I feel stupid for saying it since I'm constantly harping my boys about brushing, but I never thought about it. His mouth smells like 100 dead fish! Ugh! lol Now they want hundreds of $ to put him to sleep and clean them but I don't read good things about that either. Ugh

Put him on raw (with raw bones)...seriously for about 6 months atleast. Those teeth will start to get better. I've had to do the same for my dogs periodically. I have four dogs so going totally raw right now is not going to work, but I'll go back if I can find their own little fridge for their thawed meats.

:lol: She sounds confused and thinks she's a dog.

LOL. She's a funny one...she swats at you if you stop petting and try to walk away. She's a mess.

I actually did get my neighbors house clean today. Now dd is trying to get my off to the library and I'm just sitting here reading this thread because it cracks me up. :lol:

Last night, I flew off my big girl's scooter and landed in the gravel driveway. My palms are scraped and so is my right knee. I am incredibly squeamish and almost passed out thinking about all the little stones that damaged my palms. My palms have little holes all over them.:crying:

Oh, I'm sorry. I hope they heal quickly.

I started giving DS12 a buzz cut this morning. The clippers broke about 1/4 of the way into the haircut. He had a reverse mohawk that I tried to clean up with scissors. His hair looks horrible.

Ouch. I once shaved a strip on Dh's head down to the skin. Accidentally, of course. Right before reps from corporate office were coming to his office.

I can laugh at myself and tell myself I'm being ridiculous. I just can't sleep.

:lol: When my dh worked nights for awhile, I used to either pile my kids in my bed or go wake one up to sit up with me if I was scared. I never let on that was the reason...but that's fairly pathetic, right? :lol:

I get to stay in a hotel tonight. I might go to IKEA tomorrow and I get Mommy/toddler alone time for awhile. We are going for ice cream and swimming. :)

I had a crappy start to the day, had to drive a 40 mile round trip in 92 degree weather with no ac to renew my driver's license.

But it was the best night in ages, went to a friend's with another dear friend to watch David Tennant and Catherine Tate in Much Ado About Nothing and had Trader Joes chocolate covered cherries, popcorn and chocolate rouge wine with tons of laughter and great conversations. :D

Yuck! I was just starting to make cookies and saw a mealworm when I opened the flour. Now I need to run out to get more.

Extra Protein :tongue_smilie: Sorry, I couldn't resist, lol

I need to can fig jam today; I even chopped them all up yesterday and it looks like I'll have enough for four batches at least...and I don't want to heat up the house...but I don't want to go digging in the shed for the propane burner to do it outside because hubby never puts things away right and it's probably buried behind a mountain of stuff...:glare: I think I'll send the kids out to do it :D

My oldest just returned from a week in Florida. While he was there, he called his 16 y.o. sister "just to talk" (made her day~her db is her favorite person in the world.)

When he walked in the house upon returning, the first thing he did was walk up to me and hug me, then turned around and shouted to the little boys to come get their presents.

He just graduated this year and there are so many things I wish I had done differently, but somehow, by God's grace, I managed to keep his heart and for that I am grateful.

Thanks for letting me share...:001_smile:

Extra Protein :tongue_smilie: Sorry, I couldn't resist, lol

I need to can fig jam today; I even chopped them all up yesterday and it looks like I'll have enough for four batches at least...and I don't want to heat up the house...but I don't want to go digging in the shed for the propane burner to do it outside because hubby never puts things away right and it's probably buried behind a mountain of stuff...:glare: I think I'll send the kids out to do it :D

Oh I miss figs! In Dallas there was an empty house with 3 huge fig trees down the block from us. I'd go swipe the figs every night during the summer until someone bought the house. If we hadn't moved I'd have asked if I could keep picking them.

I'm just jealous now!!!

My oldest just returned from a week in Florida. While he was there, he called his 16 y.o. sister "just to talk" (made her day~her db is her favorite person in the world.)

When he walked in the house upon returning, the first thing he did was walk up to me and hug me, then turned around and shouted to the little boys to come get their presents.

He just graduated this year and there are so many things I wish I had done differently, but somehow, by God's grace, I managed to keep his heart and for that I am grateful.

:hurray: I am amazed every day that despite our failings, our kids can turn out well. Enjoy your kids :)

Put him on raw (with raw bones)...seriously for about 6 months atleast. Those teeth will start to get better. I've had to do the same for my dogs periodically. I have four dogs so going totally raw right now is not going to work, but I'll go back if I can find their own little fridge for their thawed meats.

Can you tell me more what that means to put him on raw? Our dog is having the same issues. They want to clean his teeth. I think it is too pricey. They keep saying you don't want to let it go because once it goes bad there is no going back.

Pretzels and Hershey's kisses = deliciousness.

The trick is to put half a kiss and two small pretzels in your mouth at the same time, then chew. Maybe not the best manners but oh so worth it!

It's even better if you use Dove Promises instead of Hersheys Kisses. ;)

Oh, Nutella & pretzels (mentioned by another poster) is great too.

Another random thing. I'm sitting at the playground picnic table in our subdivision, and teenagers have vandalized the thing with markers. It's covered in swear words, anatomically impossible requests, and non-artistic depictions of the male anatomy (and not drawn to any realistic scale).

The worst part? Dead kittens galore. What is the matter with people?!?

I like pretzels and Nutella. Have you tried that?

Oh man, I really wish I had not read this. :)

My random thing for today is that I'm tired. I'm just really really tired today. RegularDad is finally coming off the night shift, and I'm so so glad, because maybe my own sleep patterns will veer back towards normal.

My DH just got a piece of cotton stuck between his toes. Instead of bending down to pull it out he would take a few steps and lift his leg and shake, and then repeat. He looked like a cat with tape stuck on its paw. I am not sure if he managed to get the cotton out that way or not since he disappeared into his office continuing the walk, stop, and shake maneuver.

I once tried to wax my own bikini line. I put those pre-waxed strips on, one on both sides, rubbed down really well and yanked the first one. After I woke back up from passing out from the pain (ok not literally but it was bad) I could not make myself do the other strip. I ended up calling my mom to ask her what I should do. She couldn't stop laughing long enough to give me an answer. I tried pulling it off slowly. That did not work. For over an hour I used a little bit of oil and worked it off. I still feel that pain when I talk about it. How does anyone handle getting a bikini wax?!!

I once tried to wax my own bikini line. I put those pre-waxed strips on, one on both sides, rubbed down really well and yanked the first one. After I woke back up from passing out from the pain (ok not literally but it was bad) I could not make myself do the other strip. I ended up calling my mom to ask her what I should do. She couldn't stop laughing long enough to give me an answer. I tried pulling it off slowly. That did not work. For over an hour I used a little bit of oil and worked it off. I still feel that pain when I talk about it. How does anyone handle getting a bikini wax?!!

Many aestheticians have a numbing spray and a technique. I can't do it myself either...nooooo.

I really liked this duet and I don't think it ever got enough play back when it was on the charts.

My sinuses are killing me and the kitties bounced back from the shot they had yesterday and have now resumed bouncing off the walls and everything else. :D

For the first birthday of my life yesterday there was no card in the mail from my Grandma. Ouch. It's the little things that remind me life as I knew it ceased to exist starting in July of last year when my Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and then my Grandma with Pancreatic cancer in Feb. By Dec Mom was gone and By March Grandma was. :crying:

Sorry to end that on a down note but it really kept me from enjoying the fact that I turned 45 yesterday.

ETA: I had my hair done last week for the first time in a year - cut and colored and the lady asked if I wanted my eyebrows waxed. While she was yanking the stuff off the eyebrows of a guy headed to boot camp who was trying not to holler. I am a pain wimp. No way. And a Bikini wax? Out. I wear swim shorts and Dh takes care of that area if need be.

Edited by pdalley

Why is it that if I man gets a cold he acts like he is going to die but if he has a heart attack he thinks the can mow a 1/2 acre of land in 95 degree weather? The oldest dd at home came upstairs to tell me that all of the kids were leaving the house so I had to go downstairs and make sure that my hubby didn't try to do any lawn work. Of course, I find him weed whacking with his nitro nowhere on his person. :glare:

Can you tell me more what that means to put him on raw? Our dog is having the same issues. They want to clean his teeth. I think it is too pricey. They keep saying you don't want to let it go because once it goes bad there is no going back.

Raw diet. Raw meaty bones (chicken, beef, pork, moose is what we give/have given our dog). It's the bones that clean their teeth.

Yes, that crazy homeschooling mom of 5 DID have a bottle of pee in the side pocket (netting) of her purse at church today. :D

Why? Because at her doctor's appointment she was too distracted by all those kids to remember to turn it in. In fact, she's been carrying that particular bottle of pee around since Tuesday.

Yup, steamed pee in a bottle. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, that crazy homeschooling mom of 5 DID have a bottle of pee in the side pocket (netting) of her purse at church today. :D

Why? Because at her doctor's appointment she was too distracted by all those kids to remember to turn it in. In fact, she's been carrying that particular bottle of pee around since Tuesday.

:lol: Oh, Yuk. If I ever visit your part of the Milky Way Galaxy, Earth, remind me not to sit near you in Church ;).

Darn it! Where's the like button?

Cheaper than pepper spray!

Every. single. time. my mil heads off on another cruise to a great location, she comes back with souvenirs made in China :confused: ( and she didn't go to China) I enjoy the presents but it leaves me wondering if nowhere on the face of the earth can you get location made souvenirs. Are they all now made in China and sent out around the world? IF she ever goes to China when they still read "Made in China" or will they be made somewhere else:D

Just random thoughts as I sit here wearing my St something or another island necklace made in China. :lol: