Menu

Faster way through grammar?

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows a faster way of covering grammar. Sweetie is heading into 4th grade and is very verbal, but she doesn't have a lot of focus and doesn't need a lot of repetition. She does need some practice though, and enjoys diagramming sentences.

This year we've been working through FLL4 (we're not done; started it late in the year), and while it is good, it was repetitive, and I don't see a great way of telescoping it. If someone has ideas for that, I'm all ears.

We have available to us the elementary Killgallon books and MCT Town level. I haven't looked at how to implement them yet.

I guess I'm looking for the way folks with verbal kids accelerate material, similar to how folks with mathy kids accelerate math.

Thanks for any help!

In terms of faster, we've had success with Growing With Grammar. I would read the instructions alongside my DD, and she'd do the exercises on her own. Retention has been good here. FLL was too slow and too dragged out for her...

We've paused with GWG and are working on MCT and KISS, mostly because I like how both provide different ways to approach elements of language, and I want to reinforce what she's learned. She's not had any difficulty.

ETA: we started with GWG 1, and completed everything through GWG3 by early spring. She just requested to start back up with GWG 4, and has done a few lessons. We're taking a month off right now. I don't have experience with starting at GWG4 and whizzing through GWG6, though, as that would likely be more appropriate in your case?

Edited by pgr

We also use Growing With Grammar. I accelerated it by having them do just half (or less) of the exercises, if they got everything correct. If they got stuff wrong, they had to do all of the exercise. We also skipped a few sections altogether, when they seemed completely unnecessary. That just meant less time spent on grammar per day, not going more quickly through the book.

My dc also used Editor in Chief, which I definitely recommend.

My son is mathy, but he is also good at grammar and was bored with regular grammar programs, even used a year ahead. KISS has been a good solution for us. We were going to use MCT, but I discovered KISS before buying MCT and decided to stick with KISS.

My approach may be very different. We tend to alternate a grammar heavy year with a not so heavy year. We use MCT for the heavy year and just a general review book from Barnes and Noble for the other year. We skip levels of MCT which I know some would not be in agreement with. It has worked well for us. In our non grammar year we are literature and writing heavy. We have done this through middle school and as we are starting high school it will really be literature focused with only grammar review, because DS has a very firm handle on grammar. We will review his weak areas and concentrate on the writing.

It might not be what the regular schools would do- but it is right for us (and isn't that what homeschool is all about!)

I think MCT is perfect for kids who pick up grammar concepts easily. There isn't any repetition except for practicing the sentence analysis. I just have my son do one of those a day. We read through the grammar book itself in about a month.

:iagree: My 4th grader *really* bogged down in FLL4. We switched to MCT and have been very happy. Going through the grammar book takes about a month, and then the concepts are reinforced through use in the vocab & writing programs, as well as with the Practice book (and you can do as much or little of that as you need).

There is a finite amount of grammar to learn. Are you willing to learn it and then teach it in a compacted way? That would seem the best approach.

Of course, MCT is designed just for the purpose you have, so that would be the easiest approach.

Are you talking about the type of gifted child who picks things up without explicit instruction? You might try teaching grammar in the course of teaching writing. My middle is like this, and telling her once which grammar rule she needed to follow here or there cements the comment (so jealous!) forever.Of course, you go back to needing to know it yourself, or finding someone very competent to teach writing for you.

I did use FLL 1/2 with my dd and elminate all of the repetition. I think it is easier than wtih FLL 4, though.