Menu

Do you ever feel you're wasting your time posting?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much self-control! I was proud of getting mine down from 10 to 8. Now I'm just below 7. Seven isn't bad, is it? Do I have a problem? Really, tell me the truth.

Nah, do not tell me the truth. :lol:

Gosh, I'd never looked at my post per day count... I'm just under 6 per day. Now I can *track* exactly how obsessed with the board I am!! :D

I have to say, banning isn't all its hyped to be. Especially if one gets oneself banned in the dead of winter when there is no chance of getting out and doing something else to pass the time.

I've never been banned. But then again, I've only been here four months. I'm sure I can work my way up to it. ;) And if you're going to get banned, yes, I can see how it would be better during a lovely summer week, or possibly while you're heading out on vacation anyway.

I think on any message board, there are people who post more and people who post less... people who feel very comfortable and people who really don't. This place has become sort of a second home for me. Someone upthread mentioned that people are just very wise here, and that's so true. I know I can get support for, or answers to, nearly anything.

Now, the SPEED of the board took a bit of getting used to, at first. I would post something, come back a couple hours later, and it would be on the fourth page. I've never had a problem with shyness, LOL, so I just bump it back up if it's important. I really hope this thread reassures some of you who don't feel comfortable or welcome. :grouphug:

By the way, if someone still has that secretly shunned list, can you do me a favor? First, make sure I'm not on it. :lol: Then, pass me a copy, 'kay?? Nothing I hate more than being out of the loop!! ;)

I have accepted the fact that I'm just not part of the popular clique here.

I do still love this board, though. :001_smile:

You've definitely got one of the best blogs though! I'm a regular reader :001_smile:.

ETA: If it's not rude, I do find your 'name' instantly forgettable; if it weren't that I were such a fan of your blog I probably wouldn't remember you simply because your 'name' doesn't stick.

Edited by Cassy

So much self-control! I was proud of getting mine down from 10 to 8. Now I'm just below 7. Seven isn't bad, is it? Do I have a problem? Really, tell me the truth.

Nah, do not tell me the truth. :lol:

I don't think you have a problem - i just checked mine and it is 10.23 posts a day. I think I am in the RED zone.

You've definitely got one of the best blogs though! I'm a regular reader :001_smile:.

ETA: If it's not rude, I do find your 'name' instantly forgettable; if it weren't that I were such a fan of your blog I probably wouldn't remember you simply because your 'name' doesn't stick.

Thanks. It's funny - I've had the "name" abkjw01 since 2001 when my son was born. It's all of our initials and the year. I know it's so boring and no one can just pronounce it. Sigh. I have used NYCitymomx3 lately on other things, though. I wonder if I can easily change it here.

Gently, to answer your original question, yes it's a waste of time to post here. Sometimes, all I really feel like doing is wasting time, so it's perfect. However, don't look to this board for personal affirmation or to feel noticed and valued. You will not find that here. If you never posted again, the vast majority of the people on here wouldn't notice (they wouldn't notice me either). Don't feel bad about that! Just realize the truth of it. Do NOT invest emotionally into being affirmed here. This is not the place to find your value. If you did get your affirmation here, I would call that unhealthy.

I have had seasons when I invested too much (time, emotions, ect) into an Internet board, just to realize that it was pointless. It helps to take breaks. Maybe some time away from the board is in order?

((hugs))

:iagree:

By the way, if someone still has that secretly shunned list, can you do me a favor? First, make sure I'm not on it. :lol: Then, pass me a copy, 'kay?? Nothing I hate more than being out of the loop!! ;)

Your avatar is too lovely to have you on the shun list. ;)

I agree about the name. I can usually make some kind of nonsense word out of what appear to be random letters. I can't do that with yours. You should consider a very distinctive avatar.

I do like your blog.

No way! People have other people on ignore in a message board? Say it isn't so.. Seriously?

Oh, yeah. I used it once for a particular person, but kept undoing it so I could see what said person was saying. I'm too curious to use it properly. :D

Thanks. It's funny - I've had the "name" abkjw01 since 2001 when my son was born. It's all of our initials and the year. I know it's so boring and no one can just pronounce it. Sigh. I have used NYCitymomx3 lately on other things, though. I wonder if I can easily change it here.

I have read that it isn't easy because the moderators are volunteers and it would take a lot of time to do it if they honored each request. (I don't know this for sure....have only read it.)

I have seen some start over and put their old username in their siggie.

I had someone I knew (numerous pms, e-mails, even a phone call due to the recent scams) tell me she didn't know who I was when I pm'd her a few weeks later because she couldn't remember my username. So, I have considered it as well! ;)

I don't think you have a problem - i just checked mine and it is 10.23 posts a day. I think I am in the RED zone.

Now, I'm going to have to go look at mine. But I won't let it stop me from interacting with other adults. Some days this is all I have.

Okay, it is under 11. I'm good.:D

I don't care beans about cliques, too middle schoolish--but I do enjoy your blog.

This is what I often think when the mysterious clique is brought up.

I think it is ironic that people think there is a clique, but the people who are supposedly in the clique are insecure and can't imagine they are part of a clique.

When I post a thread I do try to come back and thank everyone for replying though i usually just do a blanket thank you to everyone because I feel like I would be posting multiple things the same if I did a reply to everyone. That said if someone asks a question for clarification, or posts something that I think won't work I reply directly to them.

As for wasting time, I waste time here in the sense that if I am here I am neglecting my irl responsibilities. I am good with that though :)

Oh, yeah. I used it once for a particular person, but kept undoing it so I could see what said person was saying. I'm too curious to use it properly. :D

:lol: Um, that's me too. I ignored someone once and I freaking spent more time unignoring them to see what they were saying and then putting them back on ignore then repeating the entire process until I decided that I was clearly the one who was a lunatic not them and I unignored them permanently.

Now, I'm going to have to go look at mine. But I won't let it stop me from interacting with other adults. Some days this is all I have.

With the high temps, though, don't you think we could make the RED ZONE POSt NUMBER higher? :confused:Truthfully, I sit in a county of one million people and I have three of the most socially adept children on the planet, and some days THIS is all I have as well.:001_huh:

I have read that it isn't easy because the moderators are volunteers and it would take a lot of time to do it if they honored each request. (I don't know this for sure....have only read it.)

I have seen some start over and put their old username in their siggie.

I had someone I knew (numerous pms, e-mails, even a phone call due to the recent scams) tell me she didn't know who I was when I pm'd her a few weeks later because she couldn't remember my username. So, I have considered it as well! ;)

You need an avatar and a siggy line. ;)

Aww.. mine is only 4. I guess I should post more in the day. I could do lots of little posts with :iagree: and :grouphug:. Maybe I should add some :chillpill: in there as well. :tongue_smilie: Oooh, maybe if I try hard enough, I can become the emoticon queen. That will help me stand out to others. Or at the very least, stand out because I'm so annoying. :D

I have learned several things from this thread.

1. I have great self control since my posts are .93 per day. (Please read this with sarcasm since I binge at times and then feel sort of sick about the time I've spent here and the things that haven't been done in real life. Then I leave for a while and post nothing, only to come back and get seriously sucked in again!)

2. I have done things in posts that annoy others (like I didn't know that already).

3. Other people also feel bummed when their replies aren't noticed.

4. Maybe I should acknowledge more responses to my threads.

5. There is a 'shunned list' -- though I have no idea what this means. Does that mean I'm on it? :confused::confused:

To the OP (if you are still reading this massive thread) I often read your responses and found wisdom in them. :001_smile:

:lol: Um, that's me too. I ignored someone once and I freaking spent more time unignoring them to see what they were saying and then putting them back on ignore then repeating the entire process until I decided that I was clearly the one who was a lunatic not them and I unignored them permanently.

With the high temps, though, don't you think we could make the RED ZONE POSt NUMBER higher? :confused:Truthfully, I sit in a county of one million people and I have three of the most socially adept children on the planet, and some days THIS is all I have as well.:001_huh:

Might as well. I have nothing to do today but laundry and exercises and later tai chi class. I have a feeling that 10.99 will flip over to 11 any moment now.

Aww.. mine is only 4. I guess I should post more in the day. I could do lots of little posts with :iagree: and :grouphug:. Maybe I should add some :chillpill: in there as well. :tongue_smilie: Oooh, maybe if I try hard enough, I can become the emoticon queen. That will help me stand out to others. Or at the very least, stand out because I'm so annoying. :D

Your dh will find you up at 3am searching out unusual and obscure smileys. ;) "Not now dear. I have to find a smiley for cleaning out the basement."

I have learned several things from this thread.

1. I have great self control since my posts are .93 per day. (Please read this with sarcasm since I binge at times and then feel sort of sick about the time I've spent here and the things that haven't been done in real life. Then I leave for a while and post nothing, only to come back and get seriously sucked in again!)

2. I have done things in posts that annoy others (like I didn't know that already).

3. Other people also feel bummed when their replies aren't noticed.

4. Maybe I should acknowledge more responses to my threads.

5. There is a 'shunned list' -- though I have no idea what this means. Does that mean I'm on it? :confused::confused:

To the OP (if you are still reading this massive thread) I often read your responses and found wisdom in them. :001_smile:

If it helps in any way, you post often enough that I recognize you when you do post.

If it helps in any way, you post often enough that I recognize you when you do post.

:hurray: It is ridiculous how pleased I am to read your response! I recognize you too, but you might be part of the popular crowd I read about in another post on this thread. :D

I have known other people change their names (and for less reason :tongue_smilie:). It's not as though you're changing it every day; I would have thought that after 11 years the mods might just indulge you ;).

I like shanvan's doggie picture.

Why thank you! Ds took the picture. I used to have Dd with the pony she rides.

I'm thinking of getting a new avatar.

If you get a new avatar, people like me, who are easily confused, will not recognize you when you post! And, I happen to like your current avatar.

:hurray: It is ridiculous how pleased I am to read your response! I recognize you too, but you might be part of the popular crowd I read about in another post on this thread. :D

No, I'm not part of the popular crowd. I'm in the weirdo crowd. People put up with me because weirdness isn't against the board rules, and I can't be permanently banned for it.

I have known other people change their names (and for less reason :tongue_smilie:). It's not as though you're changing it every day; I would have thought that after 11 years the mods might just indulge you ;).

:iagree: Couldn't hurt to ask.

You wanna hear something awful...

Years ago I was on a pregnancy board that later because a baby then toddler then child group. I talked with some of the women for years. Well a few people got together and decided to make a new board, but not tell some of the members because they didn't like them. So they convinced nearly everyone to leave, not saying what their real agenda was, and the left out people were totally blind sided.

I was invited to the new board, but I was so horrified by that I quit.

I was on a homeschool board that did something similar. The owner decided not to continue it and a core group put together a board but only sent invites to select people. I didn't make the cut because of my religion.

Your avatar is too lovely to have you on the shun list. ;)

Aw, aren't you sweet!! :) I do like my pretty flowers...

Years ago I was on a pregnancy board that later because a baby then toddler then child group. I talked with some of the women for years. Well a few people got together and decided to make a new board, but not tell some of the members because they didn't like them. So they convinced nearly everyone to leave, not saying what their real agenda was, and the left out people were totally blind sided.

Wendy, that is terrible! I don't blame you for not wanting to be a part of it.

No, no shun list.

(At least I hope not. I'm so out of the loop, that there very well could be. ;) :D)

Yeah, I'm *pretty* sure it was a joke. Pretty sure... :leaving:

Photobucket is full of them. That is where I got the fairy and the martini yesterday.

Two of my favorites that I never get a chance to use are:

atomic.gif

and

Overkill.gif

I love those more'n my luggage, but I can't think how a person could use that second one on a message board and be allowed to stay. I mean, golly, that's extreme.

(Can I keep it?)

No, I'm not part of the popular crowd. I'm in the weirdo crowd. People put up with me because weirdness isn't against the board rules, and I can't be permanently banned for it.

Ok, now that makes sense.

I'd never make it in an 'in' crowd, but weirdo? I'm sooooooo suited for that.

I come on daily, but I have a low post count because I constantly hear crickets. And I'm usually to the point in my responses, and maybe that doesn't go over too well, but that's just the way I am.:D And the one's I originate - they get lost in the shuffle. I really do try not to take it personally.

Is there seriously a "shunned list" or is that when you put someone on ignore?

(Note there is a touch of cc. later down this post for those who want to avoid it.)

There is no shunned list. Or if there is I don't have a copy of it. This board is made up of thousands of men and women - or I should say thousands of women and a few men . . . we all click (not clique) with different people. Why I click with different people varies. I click with certain people because they have a similar sense of humor to mine. I click with others because their life experience mirrors mine. I click with others because we share certain values. I click with some because their advice makes me a better person even when it is tough to hear it. When a couple of people on a message board with more outgoing personalities click there might be online banter. That's all that is - not a "in crowd".

I've corresponded, talked on the phone and met in person many people from this board. All were fine people. Some I've clicked with more and I can't even tell you why. Some share my religious convictions, some don't. Some are my age, some aren't. Some have kids that are similar ages to mine, some don't. This mirrors my friends in real life. But for each one that clicks there is something somewhere that resonates between us.

The thing is, here or in real life, I don't depend on that resonating, that kindred spiritedness, to sustain me. Some people will truly be there for you in the really hard times but most are more bit players in my life - important and valued but not to be used as pillars to lean on. (The cc of my post is here: I really can only depend on God this much to this level. Even my husband lets me down sometimes in understanding if not in any other way.)

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

I was on a twin moms board years ago and one of the woman did just that.

Photobucket is full of them. That is where I got the fairy and the martini yesterday.

Two of my favorites that I never get a chance to use are:

atomic.gif

and

Overkill.gif

I LOVE these -- if my kids see them, they will love them.

(Note there is a touch of cc. later down this post for those who want to avoid it.)

There is no shunned list. Or if there is I don't have a copy of it. This board is made up of thousands of men and women - or I should say thousands of women and a few men . . . we all click (not clique) with different people. Why I click with different people varies. I click with certain people because they have a similar sense of humor to mine. I click with others because their life experience mirrors mine. I click with others because we share certain values. I click with some because their advice makes me a better person even when it is tough to hear it. When a couple of people on a message board with more outgoing personalities click there might be online banter. That's all that is - not a "in crowd".

I've corresponded, talked on the phone and met in person many people from this board. All were fine people. Some I've clicked with more and I can't even tell you why. Some share my religious convictions, some don't. Some are my age, some aren't. Some have kids that are similar ages to mine, some don't. This mirrors my friends in real life. But for each one that clicks there is something somewhere that resonates between us.

The thing is, here or in real life, I don't depend on that resonating, that kindred spiritedness, to sustain me. Some people will truly be there for you in the really hard times but most are more bit players in my life - important and valued but not to be used as pillars to lean on. (The cc of my post is here: I really can only depend on God this much to this level. Even my husband lets me down sometimes in understanding if not in any other way.)

Thank you for this -- :grouphug:

I like weirdos. ;)

Thank you -- I consider my myself to be a weirdo - otherwise why would I get the looks I get.