Menu

What's a good Biology that's not Apologia?

When looking up Miller Levine Biology, there was a great thread here where Handmaiden told just how to get it from the publisher. The thread is getting old and at the time, some people said they had trouble with Pearson, but there were several of us that did this for this past year and had no trouble at all, so whatever was going on seemed to have gotten cleared up.

Pearson has been very good to work with by email. I have never contacted them by phone.

Campbell Concepts and Connections for a challenging course.

Campbell Exploring Life for a standard course

Campbell Biology for an exceptionally rigorous course akin to a college class for bio majors.

I have the Campbell Biology and I like it. It is more in depth than other courses, but you can really just cut whatever you want. Also, there is an online Biology for AP course that uses it, and the online course is free. Of course, I'm always one of those, "reach for the highest level, because even if you fall short you'll have learned more" types of people. I also like the Campbell book because it's just interesting to flip through like an encyclopedia. The online course uses the 7th edition which you can get cheap on Amazon and there are also study guides available for cheap.

That being said, I also have the Apologia book and while I don't intend to use it as my main biology, I think it's not a bad course, either (just a little thin, IMO). I'm going to have my son read through it (it is VERY easy to read through and has a conversational tone) as a bio preliminary.

Science Shepherd. It is written by a Christian, however the author covers both Creationism and Evolution. The Christianity isn't embedded in the text like Apologia, making it easier to modify for secular use. Plus it's self-teaching and you can order a Lab DVD that has all the labs.

We haven't used this yet, but I bought it and it looks really wonderful!

I have the Campbell Biology and I like it. It is more in depth than other courses, but you can really just cut whatever you want. Also, there is an online Biology for AP course that uses it, and the online course is free. Of course, I'm always one of those, "reach for the highest level, because even if you fall short you'll have learned more" types of people. I also like the Campbell book because it's just interesting to flip through like an encyclopedia. The online course uses the 7th edition which you can get cheap on Amazon and there are also study guides available for cheap.

That being said, I also have the Apologia book and while I don't intend to use it as my main biology, I think it's not a bad course, either (just a little thin, IMO). I'm going to have my son read through it (it is VERY easy to read through and has a conversational tone) as a bio preliminary.

Do you have a link to the course?

Science Shepherd. It is written by a Christian, however the author covers both Creationism and Evolution. The Christianity isn't embedded in the text like Apologia, making it easier to modify for secular use. Plus it's self-teaching and you can order a Lab DVD that has all the labs.

My dd will be using this next year, after two years of Apologia. I have also (sort of) used BJU Biology, and SS looks to be a nice medium between Apologia and BJU.

• 4 weeks later...