Menu

8th grade math...

LunaLee

How long does a math lesson take your 8th grader?

I personally think about an hour is ok, but as ds gets older would an hour and a half be more realistic? That time should include teaching the lesson, checking for understanding, and actual lesson problems.

It varies, depending on subject. Sometimes dd worked for an hour, sometimes for two and a half hour straight if she was on a roll. We do not have isolated "lessons"; they simply keep working in the book. Sometimes a single problem took more than one hour - sometimes they made it through a whole section in that time.

Well if she's doing grade leveled math, you just do the lesson and you're there. My dd maxes out around 40 minutes, but she's not typical. If she does an hour she's WIPED. It wouldn't surprise me if a more typical dc does 1-1 1/2. The main thing is to get their work done. At this point she's doing 2-3 lessons a day, so she's hitting 2-3 lessons in that 40 minutes to an hour. You can infer what you want from that, lol. I think what I'd infer is that the math is familiar enough to be easy for her. :) Are you asking because you're combining two curricula and don't want to overload her? I guess just watch her and see her tolerance.

Well if she's doing grade leveled math, you just do the lesson and you're there. My dd maxes out around 40 minutes, but she's not typical. If she does an hour she's WIPED. It wouldn't surprise me if a more typical dc does 1-1 1/2. The main thing is to get their work done. At this point she's doing 2-3 lessons a day, so she's hitting 2-3 lessons in that 40 minutes to an hour. You can infer what you want from that, lol. I think what I'd infer is that the math is familiar enough to be easy for her. :) Are you asking because you're combining two curricula and don't want to overload her? I guess just watch her and see her tolerance.

Well, right now math is taking up to two hours of our day. :-/ This, honestly, is because he is just a slow, easily distracted worker. Actually, the instruction part of a lesson doesn't take too long, it's when he's supposed to do his portion of the work that takes forever. I was figuring if he was in ps, he would have an hour of "class time" and then another 45-60m. of "homework." I just think 2 hours for math is a really long time.

LOF is Friday, fun math day and he just does that independently so I'm not really trying to combine two curriculums. Mostly, I was just asking for a frame of reference.

Edited by LunaLee

Dd is doing TT pre-algebra. She was doing the 1 hour in the seat but got nothing done thing, ugh. Now I sit my fanny right beside her and snap her to as needed. She sometimes needs to do something physical before. Because the lessons are on the computer, you can expect them to have a pretty consistent length. Her time decreases by 1/3-1/2 if she gets physical ahead of time and is in a good state of mind. I'm also more careful now about making sure she gets her omega 3 (flax oil).

There's a law of diminishing returns, especially if there are issues with the dc. Maybe break the R&S up into a couple shorter sections. Maybe do something easier for a while that gives him practice on whatever he's slow on but in a different way. Sometimes backtracking helps because it lets them focus on getting faster instead of always having the double whammy of concept and computation piling up.