Menu

Didn't I just say I wish there was a story-based science? New from Elemental Science.

I've been watching that for a while. I'm hoping it will come out really soon, then I could add it on to our current science, theres no date though :( Elsewise I won't be able to look at it for another 3-4 years :(

The email that went out to the yahoo group said 3 weeks.

Heather

Upon a closer read, I really hope the samples are drafts, because they are full of spelling and grammatical errors. That is never a good sign in a curriculum provider.

:iagree: Just skimming it, I found several spelling and grammar problems. Otherwise, it looks cute. We're up to our ears in Biology for this year, so we won't need it for another few years, but it's great that she's listening to what people keep asking for! :D

:iagree: Just skimming it, I found several spelling and grammar problems. Otherwise, it looks cute. We're up to our ears in Biology for this year, so we won't need it for another few years, but it's great that she's listening to what people keep asking for! :D

These are drafts. If it was fully edited and complete it would already be released. Guess we know why most curriculum providers don't give sneak peeks.

Heather

theres no date though :( Elsewise I won't be able to look at it for another 3-4 years :(

It says July 2012.

The pricing is weird. There's a price for the printed version, the kindle version and then two bundles - ebook bundle and printed bundle, but there's no pdf ebook only.

I love the idea, but I have a feeling that the story is going to be a little lacking. Beyond the grammar errors, I thought the writing was a bit flat... Though, to be fair, it wasn't necessarily enough to tell and it doesn't have to be stellar to be worth it. We use the Magic School Bus chapter books and those are dreadful writing to say the least.

The way Elemental Science tries to skirt the religion issue and appease everyone worries me a bit more. Maybe if they'd started with physics instead of zoology... But I'd really prefer a zoology book to have some discussion of evolution.

• 2 weeks later...
Upon a closer read, I really hope the samples are drafts, because they are full of spelling and grammatical errors. That is never a good sign in a curriculum provider.

I saw a bunch as well. :glare: This does look like something my rising 2nd grader would devour, nonetheless. Let's hope they clean up the grammar as I would love to use it as a supplement to BFSU.

Hey folks, I haven't been around here in a long time, but someone let me know about this thread and I wanted to let you guys know what is going on. The grammar and spelling errors in the main book have just come to our attention and I apologize for them. We had several eyes and one very expensive paid professional editor look over the book and all of them missed the errors that you have posted about. We will be taking the book to someone else to fix the problems before releasing it, which will delay the release date, but hopefully will create a better product in the end. If you have any questions, post them here and I'll check back so I can respond.

BTW, the Sassafras series will not change the plans for our current series. We will still be completing our classic series at the rate of one plan per year.

Hey folks, I haven't been around here in a long time, but someone let me know about this thread and I wanted to let you guys know what is going on. The grammar and spelling errors in the main book have just come to our attention and I apologize for them. We had several eyes and one very expensive paid professional editor look over the book and all of them missed the errors that you have posted about. We will be taking the book to someone else to fix the problems before releasing it, which will delay the release date, but hopefully will create a better product in the end. If you have any questions, post them here and I'll check back so I can respond.

BTW, the Sassafras series will not change the plans for our current series. We will still be completing our classic series at the rate of one plan per year.

That is good news! Perhaps you should pay a team of WTM moms to do the final vet! :tongue_smilie:

That is good news! Perhaps you should pay a team of WTM moms to do the final vet! :tongue_smilie:

Apparently we should, I know that my grammar is not the best, but you would think that someone who edits for a living would catch stuff like that :001_rolleyes:.

Any volunteers? Free book, but you have to have catch all the errors, quickly ;).

I'd be willing to edit for a free copy! :D I'd love to add this to our plans for the coming year, but I'm stretching the budget as it is.

And I could even promise a quick turn-around time since I'm out of school for the summer. We're just being lazy here. :lol:

Wow, this is something my 7-year old will just devour for fun. Even though we have a full docket for next year, I would buy this just for fun reading. We did life science in a big way last year and she can't seem to get enough. Anxious to hear more about it.

The author knows this and is delaying release in order to fix the problems. The mistakes happened despite several eyes on the manuscript and a pricey professional proofreader. I think it's a good sign that she cares enough to fix the problem. LOF elementary series is also filled with typos, but for my family, at least, it's still a valuable resource. I just keep a pencil handy as we're reading it so dd doesn't start to absorb incorrect spellings, usage, and grammar.

Looking at the samples, it says that it can be adapted for k-6, and all the books listed as additional reading are secular as far as I know. DK and Kingfisher are listed as major reference reading sources.

Are you looking at a different sample than I am? All I see is a chapter about two kids going off to camp. Nothing about grade levels or additional reading. :confused:

What age is this for? Lack of description is frustrating. Secular?

http://www.elementalscience.com/bio_logic.html

I cannot get the sample pages here to open. It says pdf, but doesn't make my pdf "accept" dropdown appear. Other links on her site do.

Help

Also, what is in the kit for intermediate biology? It says "hard to find" items, but I often use the contents of a kit to consider if I'd like the program or not. :)

http://www.elementalscience.com/bio_logic.html

I cannot get the sample pages here to open. It says pdf, but doesn't make my pdf "accept" dropdown appear. Other links on her site do.

Help

Also, what is in the kit for intermediate biology? It says "hard to find" items, but I often use the contents of a kit to consider if I'd like the program or not. :)

Kalanmak, I just checked that sample and it worked, but if you still have problems the files are also at the ES yahoo group. If you still have problems, send me an email (info(at)elementalscience(dot)com).

Thanks to those of you who have offered to help, we've got it covered for now :). I won't be checking back here again for awhile, so if you have questions, email me at the above address :).

Kalanmak, I just checked that sample and it worked, but if you still have problems the files are also at the ES yahoo group. If you still have problems, send me an email (info(at)elementalscience(dot)com).

I googled around and found a generous sample of the TM:

d3r1z7wkgqhj9d.cloudfront.net/biologicsample.pdf