Menu

S/O about Teaching Textbooks-does it explain or just teach the formulaic way?

In other words, does TT explain the reasons behind why they're doing what they're doing?

For instance, dd12 didn't realize til I explained it today that when you multiply 2 fractions, it is giving you a SMALLER number. She could totally do the work and get it right by formula, but had no clue or visualization of what she was actually DOING with the numbers in real life.

I noticed in the sample of TT for multiplying decimals, it is pretty much just explaining how to do the formula.

I'm looking for a math that gives more of an understanding too of what is behind the formula. Not a lot or overwhelming (she hates math) but so she has some sense of conceptual understanding. I'm especially concerned for this as we move forward into higher math.

That is a great thread! Thanks-I stayed up late with it and only got halfway thru so far but it's what I need.

See, Judy, I didn't realize that. That is why I need something other than me to explain all this-I am horrible with math and never learned conceptually.

My 13yo dd is dyslexic and after many, many (did I say "many") different math programs, TT Pre-algebra just clicked. She loves it and increased her scores on her IOWA Basics Skills test an amazing amount this year.

One thing we do in addition to TT is that we are reading and working our way through Danica McKeller's books. I believe Danica made a huge mistake in the titles of her books, but the books themselves are incredible. Her correlations to life situations helps my dd put the math into a context she can understand. You can find info and reviews on her first book (on pre-algebra) here . Try not to let the title sway up until you actually take a look at the book.