Menu

Connections: Historical and Other

I was having a conversation with another WTMer about historical connections. We were talking about the merits of a particular history curriculum and how many folks feel it helps make historical connections. As a former ps teacher, I have heard the term "connections" bandied about frequently. I was hoping those interested might help me broaden my thoughts about connections. I've included some questions. Don't feel like you have to answer everything. I just hope to stimulate discussion.

1. What is a historical connection? We talk about connections, but what specifically is it?

2. How do we make connections?

3. If we read of a historical connection, are we really (actively) making a connection? Does it count? Or is that something different? Is it the action of making the connection important rather than the actual connection itself?

4. How do we best teach "how to make a historical connection" or does it just *poof* happen?

5. Are historical connections overrated? Can we go about not making them and still be considered educated?

6. What specific connection did your child make that you can remember and describe? Or maybe you made the connection. Were they using a specific curriculum, just reading a book, watching a history program......other?

7. Do you find your children and yourself making more "connections" in another subject matter? If so, what subject? Is there a reason you do it in this other subject and is the way you are doing it translatable to history?

Love to hear the hives' thoughts.

TWTM, in which SWB uses the following example (I'm paraphrasing and don't have the book in front of me, so my memory is probably muddled): Your family is studying ancient Rome and Latin. Your child learns that Mars was the Roman god of war; then they hear the word "martial" and associate that word with war, etc. etc. (I think this is under the "Grammar Stage" section of the book.) I think in the early years the focus on memorization sets the stage for the child to remember certain key words and phrases later on. I think as he/she matures, he/she will have those, "Aha!" moments as they find another reference to the subject matter. When they learn the rhyme for King Henry VIII's wives ("Divorced, beheaded, died; divorced, beheaded, survived.") and then later study why Ann Boleyn was beheaded, how Elizabeth ascended to the throne, why Henry VIII broke off from the Catholic church---the connections start to reinforce one another.

I would say it helps to have historical connections taught. We used Omnibus, and the introductory sections for each book went into historical context and settings. This information was helpful, so I would say, yes, historical connections can be taught. They may not always be remembered, though, but like anything else---it still helps.

For example, when we read Dante's Inferno, it really helped that we had read The Odyssey and The Aeneid the year before. That certainly helped to understand some of Dante's references.

I think that's one reason for the continuous study of history, whether you follow the four-year plan of TWTM or the way Veritas Press does it, or another method. You keep encountering the same information over and over again.

I'm currently reading David McCollough's excellent book, The Path Between the Seas, about the building of the Panama Canal between the years 1870 and 1914. I'm at the part in which the French venture is about to fail, and I believe the Americans (under Teddy Roosevelt) come in next. The next book I plan to read this summer will be Mornings on Horseback, about Teddy Roosevelt. I'll probably be experiencing some of those "Aha!" moments myself.

Certainly, I believe that a lifetime of reading helps to cultivate those historical references, but I also believe that they can be taught and reinforced through a good education. At first, some of this may be a bit "artificial", as a teacher strives to make the students understand why Dante had Virgil as his guide through the Inferno. Later on, though, the student (perhaps as an adult?) begins to make more and more of these historical connections, with increased understanding and awareness of their importance.

1. What is a historical connection? We talk about connections, but what specifically is it?

To me, a connection implies finding the reasoning behind things. I think it is more than just a relationship between things, but a reason for things happening. (Although, looking at my definition I think it may be too narrow-maybe a subset of connections.) I have always also felt like it is something we "do" rather than something that is handed to us.

2. How do we make connections?

I think we have prior knowledge. Then we obtain more knowledge. We see how one thing influenced another thing and we make a connection. It's like an "aha" moment.

3. If we read of a historical connection, are we really (actively) making a connection? Does it count? Or is that something different? Is it the action of making the connection important rather than the actual connection itself?

I think the action is, at first, most important. When we learn how to make connections and practice this way of looking at (and for) history, then we become more fluent at the process. Once somewhat fluent,the more important thing is the content of what we've discovered.

4. How do we best teach "how to make a historical connection" or does it just *poof* happen?

For me, it didn't really happen until I was an adult.

6. What specific connection did your child make that you can remember and describe? Or maybe you made the connection. Were they using a specific curriculum, just reading a book, watching a history program......other?

I read Lies My Teacher Told Me and made the following connection. When the pilgrims came to America, they inhabited a spot that was formerly used by the indians. However, the indians had been decimated by an illness and therefore the pilgrims could move right in. The indians that were left living were in a bad position due to other tribes that might like to take over the area. So, they agreed to help the pilgrims as they probably figured it was their best option.

I had always wondered why the indians would want to help the pilgrims. What would be "in it for them?"

A connection my dd made was that World War I was characterized by a lot of technological advancement and blunders. The leaders really didn't know how to use much of what they were attempting to use effectively. There are instances of poison gas being blown back by the wind on the troops. Or poison gas being effective, but the aggressors then not knowing how to take advantage of the success. Or using an aircraft like the zeppelin in such high altitudes that it would be unsafe for the operators. She wrote an entire research paper on technology of World War I. She found that both sides in the war were constantly enhancing their technology to keep up with the other side.

Holly in N NV

had written in quotes, but when I hit the "Quote" button, it didn't work!

At any rate, I think you've said it very well:

1.) When I find the reason behind something, I have one of those "Aha!" moments. I think the doing that I do is actively thinking about something---actively searching for the connections or answers. Sometimes it does seem to just "drop" down on me, but usually it's because the prior question has been there; hidden, perhaps, but still resident in my heart, awaiting an answer. Sometimes it's almost like an epiphany!

2.) Absolutely---the prior knowledge thing is fundamental. I think that's maybe a key process that takes place in the grammar stage (like the Mars/martial example I listed). Even something as simple as memorizing the names of the Presidents or the preamble to the Constitution or a summary of the Bill of Rights, as a child, can be a stepping-stone to further knowledge. For instance, if you've memorized the presidents and know the approximate years of their terms, and then you read about the League of Nations and remember that Woodrow Wilson was the president at the time---the connections start to take place.

3.) I sort of answered this in #1 above.

4.) I think you can lay the groundwork in your children, through memorization and other tools. I truly believe the real understanding comes later. And---there are "layers" of understanding. There are books that I read as a kid, and when I re-read them today, I learn even more than I did when I was a child. I appreciate them so much more because there have been intervening years of knowledge.

5.) I wish I could think of an example with my kids; right off the bat nothing comes to mind, but I know it's happened. I think as homeschoolers, perhaps, we as parents get to witness the process more often than if we weren't homeschooling (although maybe that's not fair to parents who don't homeschool---it may just have more to do with being involved and engaged with your children!). I can think of one "mild" example, but it's really more humorous than anything. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a "connection", but perhaps it's more an understanding of a vocabulary word. At any rate, my oldest once was watching a program on TV and there were several complex relationships; you know, Jack likes Susan, but Susan's in love with Bob, who ditched her for Heather, etc. Instead of describing it as a love triangle, she called it a "love dodecahedron"! Well---that's probably not a true connection! I thought it was funny, anyway!

If I think of any more later on, I'll add on!

Great conversation, Holly!

I saw my girls and myself making connections for the first time this yr (6th & 8th grade). In history, they saw similarities between Napolean and Hitler, and other numerous errors in judgement that reoccurred over and over throughout the yrs (can't think of any specific ones right now). They really made connections between their government book and real life. This really hit home when we attended a homeschool meeting in Florida (we live in Alabama). They really picked up on the differences in state laws regarding education~Florida had many more advantages.

Connections for me have been more literature based. I've really been able to make connections more after reading How to Read a Book Like a Professor and How to Read a Book by Adler. I'm prereading the books for Omnibus 1 next yr and I've been able to see many connections between the Bible and some of the C.S. Lewis books I've read (I know these are very easy connections, but I'm not a good read between the lines kind of girl). I LOVE having Ah-hah moments!

Connections for me have been more literature based. I've really been able to make connections more after reading How to Read a Book Like a Professor and How to Read a Book by Adler. I'm prereading the books for Omnibus 1 next yr and I've been able to see many connections between the Bible and some of the C.S. Lewis books I've read (I know these are very easy connections, but I'm not a good read between the lines kind of girl). I LOVE having Ah-hah moments!

I see relationships and similarities in literature. For example, I just finished Antigone. Immediately I saw that it is very similar to Romeo and Juliet. There are the lovers that both die because of the intolerance of a parent (or parents). Then I noted that both included impetuous acts by young people resulting in death which reminded me of the Myspace suicide recently. But I wonder if seeing a similarity is the same as seeing a connection?

Would a connection be if I found out that Shakespeare had read Antigone? That he was inspired and then came up with Romeo and Juliet?

I don't know!:001_huh:

But, C.S. Lewis was definitely inspired by the Bible, so those connections are neat when you discover them.

Holly

Just a little comment (and I haven't read anyone else's yet, but I will!)

Dd8 has learned enough history to see civilization after civilization go thru a pattern--First, they live in small groups. Then someone unites them. They conquer more people, grow their "kingdom," and become very strong. Then the uniter dies, the kingdom is split, and it falls apart thru being conquered.

She noticed the pattern all by herself (it was pretty obvious in SOTW2!). She's made many connections that way. She even connected the fact that it was a pattern with making patterns in Saxon math!

So at eight, she is beginning to tie some concepts together. I think it happens more and more, and that connected information is easier to remember.

But I try not to connect everything, or expect everything to connect.

Just wanted to comment that connection is a long process, and has many levels.

So, for example, we don't use a prepared history curriculum. Instead, I put together a list of books, both fiction and non-fiction, that cover the historical period we're studying that year. I toss together (like a salad) a lot of different resources that all come at the same historical period or culture or event from different angles, and my son reads them (or views the DVDs or visits the museum exhibit or whatever). If I've done my job properly--and assuming he's paying attention--he'll start noticing that he's seeing the same dates referred to, the same words and names mentioned, the same events described. And he'll suddenly get all excited and come to me and start pointing at a certain paragraph in his book or shout until I come out into the living room while he rewinds the DVD to make me listen to the last sentence he heard.

A connection just got made. And, because he was the one to notice it and draw the line connecting those dots, I tend to think he'll be much more likely to understand and remember it.

So, I see it as my job to set the stage for those kinds of discoveries and then stand back and hope he does the rest himself. He usually does. If it seems like there's something big I wanted him to notice that he's missed, though, I will sometimes try and lead our discussions down that path. I generally doesn't take more than a nudge before the light bulb goes on.

Edited to add: I noticed after I clicked "Submit" that this is the high school board, and I was babbling about my 10-year-old son. I felt I should clarify that I took essentially the same approach when I was doing high school with my daughter and fully intend to continue doing so with my son into his high school years.

I recently showed the kids 2001 A Space Odyssey (modern history - so much fun to use movies). After discussing the movie a bit, I asked, "What do you think people in the 60s were afraid of?" It only took a second for them to come up with "technology" and I guarantee that anytime later we discuss the 60s that will be in their heads and that they will be able to connect other things to it.