Menu

Can Anyone Recommend a Good Exercise DVD?

Hi All!

I really need to exercise and am looking for a good DVD program that I could do at home. I've tried some "Crunch" videos on Netflix and...well...not a huge fan.

What is your favorite exercise DVD program? I want something that really gets the heart rate up - the equivalent of a gym class at home. Aerobics are a definite, but some weights and pilates would be nice too.

Any ideas? Isn't there a something something 90? Or something? :001_smile:

Thanks!

P.S. My two young daughters have a strange fascination in watching me exercise...find it very amusing for some reason. :) SO, please no programs that have the pelvic region gyrating in, er, interesting ways....

Edited by tagglelim
To Add Disclaimer... :)

P90X. It is a great program. My 14 yo and my husband do it. It's an hour a day and gets results fast. It's intense. I did one round of it a little while back and liked it.

I've also used Insanity and Asylum. Both of those are very intense and anywhere from 40 - 60 minutes/day. I got great results with these programs! They use your own body as weights - so you don't need a bunch of equipment. I don't think I'd use either of these programs as a beginner. I'm not sure where you are starting, but if you already have a base, these are great! These are VERY heavy on aerobic workouts and have quite a bit of jumping.

I decided I needed to tone it down a bit. My exercise routine was stressing me out a bit. I wanted something that could be done in 30 minutes. I bought Jillian Michael's new Body Revolution. It's great! It starts out VERY easy and ramps up every two weeks. It's 30 minutes a day. One day you work front of the body, the next - the back, the third - cardio. Repeat. Rest day. You need a couple weights for this program - a heavier one and a light one. After I'm done with this, I'm going to go back to Insanity, I think!

Good luck finding a program that works for you!

I've done Walk Away the Pounds, I have several dvds and mix them up so I don't get bored. There are different styles, some use a stretchy band, others use the belt, some use resistance bands, some hand weights, weighted gloves, etc. My favorites are the ones that incorporate circuit training style, mixing in jogging with the walking and such.

Dh has been doing P90X and he LOVES it! When I get more weight off I plan to start using it, right now it's just a bit too intense for me.

I've also used Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and it's a good, intense workout, too.

Oh, there are sooooo many good ones out there!

Feel free to check out my blog, I review exercise dvds for fun, LOL.

Also, take some time and peruse dvds that are out there. My 2 favorite sites to shop from (which all have preview clips and breakdowns of the workouts):

http://www.collagevideo.com

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com

One set that I like is Chris Freytag's 10 Pound Slimdown. Each workout is 20 minutes and mixes weights with cardio. I also exercise in front of 2 young girls and Chris F. is encouraging and doesn't include "bikini/sexy" talk.

ETA: Here is my current favorite. Joel Harper's Fit Pack Total. He's a little...*different* and the workouts are all bodyweight and short, which I like. (I still like to use weights, but these are great "alternative" styled workouts.)

Edited by alisoncooks

Oh, yay! Lots of suggestions to check out - thanks!

Several of you have asked my fitness level and I guess I would have to say "Not Fit". :lol:

Eight months ago, I was playing racquetball regularly and also taking the occasional step class. But then a cross-country move came into play and I haven't done anything since. Well, I take that back - last week I spent 4 straight hours kayaking and snorkeling and seemed to hold my own. BUT, I just went jogging 30 minutes ago and about died. Exactly how bad is it if I intentionally avoid blocks where there are leisurely ladies pushing strollers because I'm not sure I can jog fast enough to pass them????? :D

So, that's where I'm at. Does that impact anyone's recommendation? Could I handle P90X? Did I say that right???

So, that's where I'm at. Does that impact anyone's recommendation? Could I handle P90X? Did I say that right???

I would not start with P90X. They are intense workouts and most of them are at least an hour long. (You can do it "halfsies" and do just 1/2 the workout but they are tough and you'd need a pull-up bar and a good variety of weights/dumbbells.)

I would not start with P90X. They are intense workouts and most of them are at least an hour long. (You can do it "halfsies" and do just 1/2 the workout but they are tough and you'd need a pull-up bar and a good variety of weights/dumbbells.)

:iagree: It's a great program, but I'd definitely recommend having a base to go from. My dh did P90 before P90X and that worked well. I think if you went through a month of Jillian workouts you'd be VERY ready for P90X too. I'm currently doing Body Revolution, but that's a 90 day program and may be more time than you want to spend before getting into P90X.

I think if you tried to dive right into P90X you might get discouraged and quit before you see results. Take a month or so and build up your core. Then try it!

Good for you for getting back into shape!!!! I swear you won't be sorry!

T-Tapp and/or Callanetics.

I love both and do both. I think Callanetics creates a more lithe body, but I love T-Tapp for it's lymphatic pumping and putting the body in proper alignment.

I'm going to check out the Ballet Beautiful that someone mentioned!

I'm going to check out the Ballet Beautiful that someone mentioned!

If you decide to try Ballet Beautiful' date=' be sure to order the bundle, which includes both DVDs. It's only $19.99 for both DVDs, but they cost $16.99 each if you order them separately.

Here's a link to the Amazon listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Ballet-Beautiful-Bundle-Helen-Bowers/dp/B0068O312Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1340226053&sr=1-1&keywords=ballet+beautiful

Hi All!

I really need to exercise and am looking for a good DVD program that I could do at home. I've tried some "Crunch" videos on Netflix and...well...not a huge fan.

What is your favorite exercise DVD program? I want something that really gets the heart rate up - the equivalent of a gym class at home. Aerobics are a definite, but some weights and pilates would be nice too.

Thanks!

P.S. My two young daughters have a strange fascination in watching me exercise...find it very amusing for some reason. :) SO, please no programs that have the pelvic region gyrating in, er, interesting ways....

Oh, yay! Lots of suggestions to check out - thanks!

Several of you have asked my fitness level and I guess I would have to say "Not Fit". :lol:

Eight months ago, I was playing racquetball regularly and also taking the occasional step class. But then a cross-country move came into play and I haven't done anything since. Well, I take that back - last week I spent 4 straight hours kayaking and snorkeling and seemed to hold my own. BUT, I just went jogging 30 minutes ago and about died. Exactly how bad is it if I intentionally avoid blocks where there are leisurely ladies pushing strollers because I'm not sure I can jog fast enough to pass them????? :D

Well, P90X is possible for those who are unfit. Loads of seriously unfit people have used it to get fit. You modify if necessary. HOWEVER, I have been using Les Mills Pump

(LMP) and it is definitely more FUN than P90X. The program has weight lifting, cardio, and a little stretch program. A beginner can do this program.

LMP and P90X are both Beachbody programs.

hth

Hi All!

Thanks!

My kids are the same way. :)

When I had just one child and was pregnant with my second, I kept in good shape through that pregnancy and give credit to Erin O'Brien's pregnancy DVD. She has some regular workouts, too.

Of course, I'm not a good example now that I'm somewhat out of shape. But I have liked Jillian Michaels, Karen Voight and Joel Harper in the past. The ones I've used (though I haven't used all that they offer) were fine with my kids around. Someone linked Joel Harper's newest one and I'm going to try it since one of his worked really well for me a few years ago.

If you decide to try Ballet Beautiful, be sure to order the bundle, which includes both DVDs. It's only $19.99 for both DVDs, but they cost $16.99 each if you order them separately.

Here's a link to the Amazon listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Ballet-Beautiful-Bundle-Helen-Bowers/dp/B0068O312Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1340226053&sr=1-1&keywords=ballet+beautiful

Thanks for that info!

My dh has P90X but I am fortunate to have 30 minutes to exercise! So he bought me 10 Minute Trainer (same guy who does P90X). I am definitely feeling muscles I didn't know I had! FWIW I try to do at least 20 minutes of it, and if I have the time I do 30 minutes.

If anyone's looking for good, 30-minute videos, there is an instructor named Kelly Coffey-Meyer who has a series called 30 Minutes to Fitness. She has lots of videos in the series & each dvd has 2 30-minute workouts on it. She's good fun and always shows a low-impact or beginner option. I have gone through phases where I used her workouts a lot...

I'm in my 4th week of Turbo Fire and LOVING it! I have done the Shred before and other various DVD workouts but none were as fun as TF. I'm not going to lie - it isn't an easy program (well, it hasn't been easy for me) but I am seeing results and I feel great. I actually wake up looking forward to working out, especially the cardio classes.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/turbofire.do