Menu

How can I accelerate spelling (for free)?

d.g.

I'm using the free Spelling Connections worksheets with DS8, a rising 3rd grader. We finished level 2 a couple weeks ago, and are "supposed" to be starting level 3 for 3rd, but DS has had another leap in abilities (or maybe just motivation :glare:) lately and orally tested out of the first 14 weeks over the last couple of days.

I'm planning to let him test orally until he finds a stumbling point, but considering he's a natural speller, that might be several grades above where we're currently at. Do I just keep on until he finds that point and go on from there, or is there another FREE option that will work better for an accelerated/natural speller who's starting to get bored with the "easy" work?

The free option for a natural speller is to just drop spelling completely.

My DD is a natural speller. Her spelling has improved even without formal spelling instruction. I did teach her the phonograms and spelling rules and refer to them when she has the rare spelling question.

The free option for a natural speller is to just drop spelling completely.

:iagree:

Neither of my girls did spelling as a subject past about 2nd grade. They're both natural spellers, so there was no need. To me, it makes much more sense to just address misspellings as they arise in context.

We've only done the one year of spelling, and I've never formally taught him the phonograms. I'd be hard pressed to name them myself... I was always advanced in language, and was a natural speller, too, so I never paid attention to spelling in school. Too boring.

Is there a good list somewhere (free, of course) that I could use to teach *myself* the phonograms, in case I need to explain to him the reason for a certain spelling?

Off to Google...

Is there a good list somewhere (free, of course) that I could use to teach *myself* the phonograms, in case I need to explain to him the reason for a certain spelling

Best option would be to get The Writing Road To Reading by Spalding or Spell To Write And Read by Sanseri from your library. There are many good spelling lists online but I found none that teach the phonograms/rules/markings for free.

Is there a good list somewhere (free, of course) that I could use to teach *myself* the phonograms, in case I need to explain to him the reason for a certain spelling?

The spelling resource center at http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/spelling-resource-center has a wealth of information for free. I wouldn't use All About Spelling with a natural speller, but I learned a lot from reading their articles. Be sure to read the article about syllable types.

Best option would be to get The Writing Road To Reading by Spalding or Spell To Write And Read by Sanseri from your library. There are many good spelling lists online but I found none that teach the phonograms/rules/markings for free.

:iagree: A copy of The Writing Road to Reading from the library is probably the cheapest way to learn the phonograms. The All About Spelling web site has the list of phonograms, but not the sounds that they make.