Menu

Just plain ridiculous, white labcoat fear..anyone else?

I have to go in for the most basic of checkups today, it's going to be a five minute deal.

Did I sleep last night? No.

Am I all sweaty and feel weird? Yes.

Am I making up excuses in my head not to go? Yes.

Am I feeling like a grown up? No.

Tell me I'm not the only one. This is ridiculous.

I have to go in for the most basic of checkups today, it's going to be a five minute deal.

You are definitely not alone. Add to that list, "AFter the appointment, do I feel totally stupid yet totally relieved?" Yes.

:grouphug:

In a medical appointment, it is a rare doctor who allows the patient a sense of control. Most things in the medical environment have the effect, not necessarily intentional, though some are, of putting the patient at the bottom of the social hierarchy.

For instance, IRL, if you kept someone waiting for 45 minutes, it would be a major social embarrassment, but it happens all the time in medical settings. You must just sit there and wait.

In some practices, your normal street clothes and along with them some of your identity and dignity are shed and you must sit and wait either in paper towels (you'd best stop sweating!) or in overruns of men's boxer short material! The gowns are supposed to tie closed, but do not. They gape. So your first meeting with the doctor, you are wearing the garb that identifies you as "the patient" not a normal person.

The doctor, OTOH, is not only dressed in his/her street clothes but additionally is wearing the white coat of authority.

The doctor may choose to talk to you in words that you don't understand and you may have to ask for translations. This can make people feel stupid.

Not to mention the fact that the doctor does things that you don't allow relative strangers to do in terms of touching.

Add to this that the doctor just might find something physically wrong with you.

All that kind create a lot of anxiety. Some very simple things would fix a lot of it. Not sure why the medical profession has such a huge blind spot.

Don't worry, it's my turn tomorrow. :tongue_smilie:

In a medical appointment, it is a rare doctor who allows the patient a sense of control. Most things in the medical environment have the effect, not necessarily intentional, though some are, of putting the patient at the bottom of the social hierarchy.

For instance, IRL, if you kept someone waiting for 45 minutes, it would be a major social embarrassment, but it happens all the time in medical settings. You must just sit there and wait.

In some practices, your normal street clothes and along with them some of your identity and dignity are shed and you must sit and wait either in paper towels (you'd best stop sweating!) or in overruns of men's boxer short material! The gowns are supposed to tie closed, but do not. They gape. So your first meeting with the doctor, you are wearing the garb that identifies you as "the patient" not a normal person.

The doctor, OTOH, is not only dressed in his/her street clothes but additionally is wearing the white coat of authority.

The doctor may choose to talk to you in words that you don't understand and you may have to ask for translations. This can make people feel stupid.

Not to mention the fact that the doctor does things that you don't allow relative strangers to do in terms of touching.

Add to this that the doctor just might find something physically wrong with you.

All that kind create a lot of anxiety. Some very simple things would fix a lot of it. Not sure why the medical profession has such a huge blind spot.

Sheesh no kidding. I love my mid wives, they look just like me. And my kid's ped wears jeans and a button up shirt and he sits down while talking wtih the kids. My dentist is a biker dude and he does wear a coat, but it kind a looks like a costume on him cause he's so cool :D He looks like the guy from Back to the Future, I swear it. I carefully choose providers, but they could all benefit from some people skills.

Mine was so bad with my annual GYN visit that he thought I had problems with my blood pressure. I never could convince him it was just him. LOL I see my PCP so often that I'm calm around her and have never had blood pressure issues. When I first got pregnant I had such a history of high blood pressure before with my GYN that he sent me to a cardiologist for a work up. Eventually because I was there so much with my pregnancy I got used to him as well and all my blood pressure problems disappeared. :lol: