Menu

Interest-led science?

freeindeed

I'm doing an interest-led science program in force, motion and energy with my Ker this fall (I know, big difference) so I don't have a problem with it. :D I think the biggest thing you need to do is talk to your child and make sure you have the same ideas about what this means. Are you going to focus on breadth versus depth? Are there going to be either projects or experiments? Or are you going to focus on living books? Will there be some sort of required "demonstration that learning has occurred"? Year long versus a unit?

Get the ground rules established and then go have fun!

I'm doing this for my 2nd/4th grader this year. We are taking classes bi monthly through our Aquarium and are going to use supplies I got through the Land and Water management as well as living books to reinforce it all. We have so many wonderful parks and such I think it will make for a great nature study.

Sounds great! She might want to study how the bodies of animals are designed and the functions of their parts. This would be a great time to use a microscope to compare plant cells and animal cells and how they are alike and different. For the human body, I would have her study not only the body systems and the parts that make them up, but also how each system interacts with the other systems. For the solar system, I would have her look up specific information on each planet (if she has not already studied each of them), asteroids, comets, meteors/meteorites/meteoroids, the sun, etc. A good project would be making a scale model of the solar system, scaling both the objects and the distance between them. Sounds like it will be a very fun year!

Although this coming year will be my first year at HSing, (so, take my comments with a grain of salt..:D ) my upcoming 7th grader seems to like the same things, (animals, space, and anatomy, ). I have looked at and would use the Apologia Zoology series if it was a little more challenging. I think he would have REALLY enjoyed it!