Menu

Who here knows technical stuff about passenger airlines?

So we're flying to Denmark on Thursday, and one of the guys going on the trip was reminding everyone to not put anything in their checked luggage that they don't want to freeze solid "because it will get 30* below zero in the luggage hold" since it's so cold up in the atmosphere.

(Side note - just had a weird bout of panic over the thought of being so high up in the air :eek:)

I've flown before (although not overseas since the '90s) and I would think that if your luggage spent hours in 30* below temps, it would still be fairly frozen at baggage claim. Don't they have at least minimum temperature control in the luggage hold?

Am I missing something here?

So we're flying to Denmark on Thursday, and one of the guys going on the trip was reminding everyone to not put anything in their checked luggage that they don't want to freeze solid "because it will get 30* below zero in the luggage hold" since it's so cold up in the atmosphere.

Sounds like a lot of fun. While it is really cold outside of the plane at altitude, it doesn't get that cold in the cargo bays. Depending on the plane there are often two cargo areas, one heated and the other not so heated. Animals and other cold sensitive things are put in the heated one. The non heated cargo area gets much colder, but still above freezing. For liquids and things that might spill, I'd be more worried about the lower air pressure (which is true for any part of the airplane) than the temperature.

Gosh, our family has flown overseas many times, and I've never heard of that nor had any problems. We check liquids (shampoo, meds, contact lens solution, even wine) all the time and have never had problems or found things frozen at the other end. :)