Menu

New York City and Philadelphia History Suggestions?

Hi everyone,

Planning a few days each in New York and Philly next week. We just finished the 3rd year of SOTW and I want to take my rising 4th grader to some historical sites relevant to her studies. Any suggestions on which museums, walks, national parks, etc. are the best for this age? Especially in NYC, we have been to Natural History Museum, MOMA and the Met but I don't know what are the best bets for history...

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Hi everyone,

Planning a few days each in New York and Philly next week. We just finished the 3rd year of SOTW and I want to take my rising 4th grader to some historical sites relevant to her studies. Any suggestions on which museums, walks, national parks, etc. are the best for this age? Especially in NYC, we have been to Natural History Museum, MOMA and the Met but I don't know what are the best bets for history...

Thanks in advance,

Rich

In Phila, certainly the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. We found Ben Franklin's house/shop (can't remember what it's called) very interesting as well.

Make sure that you get cheese steaks for lunch, so you get to enjoy the authentic ones!

In Phila, certainly the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. We found Ben Franklin's house/shop (can't remember what it's called) very interesting as well.

Make sure that you get cheese steaks for lunch, so you get to enjoy the authentic ones!

Yes! We spent about 5 hours at the Philadelphia National Historical Museum (which includes Independence Hall, Liberty Bell and much more) last summer, and saw a lot. You don't need tons of time, but you can certainly spend more than that. The museum is free, there is a wonderful Junior Ranger Program, and there is an awesome storytelling program called "Once upon a Nation." Check the website for the details, because you do need to book a time to get into Independence Hall. There is underground parking nearby at reasonable rates, too.

For NYC, I've heard that the Bronx Zoo is excellent, though I've never been there myself. Manhattan is interesting to walk around, though not specifically historical. Perhaps the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island would be of interest? You need lots of time to wait for the ferry, and get to the islands, etc.

The Bronx Zoo is awesome, and my favorite place in the world is the Metropolitan Museum of Art (worth a second trip, IMO :tongue_smilie:). It's not specific to NY history, but I think the Terra Cotta Warriors are still in town too. Times Square can be a fun trip on its own if you study the history of NY and look at old photos of Times Square--so much has changed, so much has stayed the same!

ETA: Terra Cotta Warriors -- might be pricy though.

One more link, might be helpful: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60763-Activities-c5-New_York_City_New_York.html

Oops, one more :lol:: The Cloisters

Edited by melissel

Watch Ken Burn 'New York' dvds are a great way to really see the history of NYC plus you will get great ideas of places to see as well as how it all work together.

:iagree: An incredible series, and an in-depth look at the history of the city.

"Once Upon a Nation" is a must. They are story benches throughout the center city that you can walk around to get all kinds of great info and each bench can give you a map so you know where to do for the others. Also, as a plus, going to each bench will take you to points of interest that you can explore. For example, you go to a bench and right next to it will be the building where there was the original secret meeting to decide to start a continental convention. There are plenty of people dressed up this time of year and they will be a wealth of information. You can even talk to "Benjamin Franklin" and that man really does know TONS about him and he really stays in character. You could go over to Betsy Ross' house too and the lady that plays her is super sweet and informative and she'll show you how to quickly cut a perfect star, just like she showed George Washington to convince him to have a 5 point star instead of 6. :-) I'd say skip the Philly Cheesesteak though because they are nasty! (Please don't hate me Philly!) Instead go for a water-ice as it is nice after all that walking. The National Constitution Center has a short show before you go into the museum that will make you want to jump up and fight for America that instant and Elfreth's Alley (the oldest continually inhabited street in the US) has a little tour of one of the houses that is nice if you want to get an idea what life was like for someone on that street long ago. Betsy Ross' house also has a tour for that matter. I LOVE historic Philly and I miss it now that I've moved away...can you tell. :-P