Menu

Anatomy and Physiology recommendations...

We have decided to do A&P for my oldest's senior year science rather than Physics because she plans to study nursing. We aren't looking for 'test out' credit or anything like that but since A&P is a kind of weed-out class for the nursing program several of the colleges we have talked to say they often recommend trying to either study on their own (for public school students if their school doesn't offer A&P) or homeschoolers do a year of A&P in high school so they have a jump on it, making the college class less daunting.

So I don't know what to use. Apologia has a course. I have not found Apologia to be my favorite but am willing to use it if it's good especially because Sonlight has a schedule including the Anatomy Coloring book and some labs (although we won't do the dissections because we've already done them).

I have a textbook from our local community college from when I planned to take the class but never did. It's a good book and definitely college level but it's not going to be the easiest thing to learn from.

Are there other options?

Thanks

Heather

I would highly suggest she also add in a Medical Terminology course, using a book such as The Language of Medicine.

Although I've never seen this book IRL, it has features that I recommend - it goes through the body systems one by one, has illustration, and is a self-teaching workbook.

If you could get the book soon, she might be able to get a good amount done before she starts A&P.

I'm a tutor now, and the A&P students always stuggle with the terminology, along with trying to learn everything else in the course. Learning the terminology will give her a head start.

Best Wishes.

Thank you for posting this! I received this advice on taking A&P in place of Physics for my dd (senior this fall, planning to go into nursing) at the HEAV convention. The curriculum counselor recommended Apologia, even when I pressed a bit and said I don't care for the Apologia high school texts. She said it is rigorous and that Apologia is the only hs publisher she was aware of who puts out a rigorous A&P text.

THANKS!!!!! Great choices from everyone. And what a good idea to use the Medical Terminology book as well. She is going on her second medical missions trip in a couple of weeks (previously to Haiti, this time to Peru) so she will have some medical exposure but formal studies will help a lot.

Thanks!!

Heather

Kolbe offers A&P (scroll to the bottom of the link)

Hmm... I might go with this one. It uses the Holt text which I already own. It's a very good text. If I add the Medical Terminology book recommendation from the PP that would be a good combo. Plus I like that it schedules the virtual lab CD. We have already done many, many dissections so I didn't really want to have to buy them again.

Heather

I second the medical terminology course. I took one before medical school on the advice of a friend and I was way ahead of most classmates. They would be looking up terms while the prof was talking and I could just listen and understand. Also- a good medical dictionary is worth purchasing at some point- a pocket one that she can take with her. (Maybe even take on the mission trip?) Mosby's is one many nurses use. They are about $20-$30.

I second the medical terminology course. I took one before medical school on the advice of a friend and I was way ahead of most classmates. They would be looking up terms while the prof was talking and I could just listen and understand. Also- a good medical dictionary is worth purchasing at some point- a pocket one that she can take with her. (Maybe even take on the mission trip?) Mosby's is one many nurses use. They are about $20-$30.

Great idea. Thanks!! I don't suppose there is one that doubles as an English-Spanish medical dictionary. :-) She's going to Peru and doesn't speak Spanish. Although who knows... last year she went to Haiti where they speak a kind of French and Creole. She was actually better off speaking Latin to them than those who spoke French because it was just enough different from traditional classroom French that it was like a different language but still had the romance language roots.

Heather

• 4 weeks later...
We use http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Anatomy-Physiology-Fourth-Edition/dp/0803610076, the accompanying workbook, TC A&P lectures, and an anatomy coloring book.

My own child is going into a therapy program that will have an a&p class, and I was also told to try to get her ahead of the game while still in high school. I always respect your recommendations when I read them. I have a question: what are TC A&P lectures? Also, how difficult is the amazon book & workbook that you recommended? Is it more college level? She's not as strong in science but does pretty well. I am just trying to decide if this is like an AP course type book. Thanks!!

My own child is going into a therapy program that will have an a&p class, and I was also told to try to get her ahead of the game while still in high school. I always respect your recommendations when I read them. I have a question: what are TC A&P lectures? Also, how difficult is the amazon book & workbook that you recommended? Is it more college level? She's not as strong in science but does pretty well. I am just trying to decide if this is like an AP course type book. Thanks!!

It is a good introduction to A&P. It is a college textbook, but no, IMO it is nothing like an AP course. My dd did extremely well in the course. The workbook and textbook complement eachother very well.

TC A&P lectures are the Teaching Co Anatomy and Physiology lectures. They aren't currently on sale, but probably will be again in the next few weeks.

I would really recommend checking to see if your local community college has online options for A&P and medical terminology. And I mean online labs as well. The software for the online A&P classes these days are amazing. You can virtually dissect multiple times in any orientation and zoom in to the level of individual cells. It a is much more detailed understanding than using a cadaver, and requires a little less memorization but more comprehension. I wouldn't recommend something like that for a premed program, but for the purpose of nursing, if your college allows it, it's worth it.

I realize that's 5 college credits, which could be expensive if you're not in one of the states that pays for dual enrollment courses and books. But why not get the prereqs out of the way now?