Menu

What do you need to buy for Discipovering Mathematics?

I'm going with the two textbooks, the workbook, the bank of test questions, and Geometer's Sketchpad. I've taught math before so I'm going to try winging it without the teacher's editions--that seems to be what would drive up the price the most. I think planning out the lessons will be pretty straightforward. The textbooks and workbooks include all of the answers, but not worked-out solutions--I think I can work through problems when needed. May not work for everyone though.

Pa

It is hard to spend over 120 dollars for just one year of math. What do your buy if you want to spend less than that?

I am thinking the two textbooks, the workbook, and the workbook TM. is this enough?

For level 3 we had two textbooks, two teachers guides, and the workbook. I have no idea what i spent. Dd14 did it pretty much on her own with no problems. Just so you know we did NEM for the other levels and we do not have a geometers scetchpad. Just asked her-- she says the sketchbook was mentioned but not needed.

I had the textbooks, the Teacher's Guides, the workbook, and the Test Bank.

If I had to do it again and money was an object, I'd get the Workbook TE over the text's TG's - the problems in the workbook are a higher difficulty. I didn't use the TG's much, but I did miss having full solutions to the workbook from time to time. Did like being able to make tests with the Test Bank (good to remember the scoring system is different for Singapore - they have grades/percents on the website).

I managed to get along without Geometer's Sketchpad.

It is hard to spend over 120 dollars for just one year of math. What do your buy if you want to spend less than that?

I am thinking the two textbooks, the workbook, and the workbook TM. is this enough?

It would really nice if I could buy these from someone who has used them and want to recoup some money. I know it is hard to find thee used since they are still quite a new program! But I still am hoping. We have a year before we will start.

Unlike at the PM level, the DM workbook is optional. There are plenty of problems in the textbook. The DM workbook is actually more similar to the PM Intensive Practice books as they kick up the challenge level a lot.

If money is tight, I would get the two textbooks and TM's.

Like others, we use the textbook and workbook along with the teacher guides for both. I have used all extensively. I bought the question bank for the first level but haven't used that at all, I won't be buying it for future levels.

We also used Geogebra in place of the Sketchpad. There are some lessons where using the Sketchpad is written right into the lesson in the textbook, my ds has enjoyed working with it. Some of the commands are different in Geogebra, but have been easy to work around.

We do use the workbooks, as well as the textbooks, but instead of using Sketchpad, we use this: http://www.geogebra.org/cms/ It's free. It's is similar to Sketchpad which you need for the geometry part of the books.[/

Thanks for the link. I will surely use this in place of the one I have to buy. It is also good to know that the question bank is not that useful. I will use the textbooks and the workbook plus workbook TM, but I will not buy the textbook TMs. Does anyone have these used for sale. Just hoping:001_smile:

We do use the workbooks, as well as the textbooks, but instead of using Sketchpad, we use this: http://www.geogebra.org/cms/ It's free. It's is similar to Sketchpad which you need for the geometry part of the books.

Just wanted to thank you for the web site. They will enjoy using it because they are curious about the sketchpad!