Menu

Need input. How do you choose books to read?

Hello WTM friends,

When I was younger I spent a great deal of time reading. I loved long epic novels, mysteries and biographies the most. Even as a younger mom, I always had a novel by the bedside. Then came divorce, years of single parenting and then full time college that turned into full time work, etc. Life happened and my leisure reading got traded in for reading for research and studies, and then reading just disappeared for awhile.

I've been reading again, but seem to navigate toward the non-fiction books about faith, art books, and then there's the whole issue of reading with my dd. So it's not like I don't read, I really do, but I feel that I've lost touch with reading fiction just for the shear pleasure of it like I did when I was younger.

In recent days I've gone to the library to choose books, but I am completely overwhelmed by the number of choices there are. I have to admit, part of the problem is that I have dicriminating taste and am careful about what I fill my mind with...but I don't want to gloss over books that are worthy of my time either. The real problem is that I just don't know how to choose a book any more! Titles and covers don't jump out at me. I feel so overwhelmed standing in front of the library shelves that I have been walking away with empty hands.

There has to be an answer to this. I'm afraid I'm missing out on so much, but don't know where to begin.

Here are some questions I have for you that read for your own pleasure:

• How do you choose books to read?
  • Do you research authors and/or go by the short synopsis on the cover? (It seems that would take hours all in itself!)
  • Does anyone have a series that they can recommend?
  • Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate this board so much!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Would you be interested in reading book blogs or book message boards? There are tons out there and once you find the ones that click with your tastes you'll have a never ending supply of suggestions.

Sometimes I go to the bookstore and look through the recommended reads section. I also look for some with NY Times best seller logos on them. Those sections are smaller and less overwhelming. I have found several authors whose styles I like that way. And also, if I find a book I have liked a lot, I will look in and on that book for other authors who have given a review. That has lead to similar styles that I found I have enjoyed as well.

There's a whole world of books to enjoy! I hope you can find some for yourself!

Would you be interested in reading book blogs or book message boards? There are tons out there and once you find the ones that click with your tastes you'll have a never ending supply of suggestions.

This sounds great. Where to begin?

Lucinda

At my blog, of course! (See link below). It may turn out that we don't have similar tastes, but I have a link to many other literary blogs in my sidebar (as do they) and at some point you'll click on the blog(s) that are right for you. Or you can click on the books I've read (also in the sidebar) and read an Amazon review.

You could also do a google search if there's a particular genre that you're interested in: mysteries + blog, say, or historical fiction + blog.

There are suggested reading lists in Francine Prose's Reading Like a Writer and Jane Smiley's Thirteen Ways of Looking at the Novel that may interest you. There are 1001 suggestions (with one page write-ups usually) in 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.

Happy reading!

I read books whose reviews pique my interest. This means I have a magazine whose reviews I trust (it is The Economist). For instance, they said that The Confident Hope of a Miracle was the first book since 1959 to shed new light on the Armada, and that it showed the thinking on the Spanish side far more than any English book to date. That sold me, and it was a very good read.

I do look up books I hear about here and check them out on Amazon. I got Deconstructing Penguins that way, and am glad to have read it. There are certain catch-phrases that I know, for me personally, will probably tell me I won't like this book. "Uplifting" or "riotous" or "hip" or "inspiring" has me move along, for example.

I am in a book group; we started as a group of young SAHM's about 6 years ago and this group has really expanded my horizons. We meet monthly and each take turns hosting our meetings. I have read many enjoyable books this way including many books that I never would have picked on my own. I also love to get ideas for books from others on this board; I actually keep a list of books I'd like to read on my computer and then I can look for them at our library's online catalog. HTH

There are times I go into the library (especially in the nonfiction part) and just run my hand along the bookshelves and say, "That one." I've read more interesting books that way. Several of them I would never have picked any other way. Of course, you need to be aware that there will be some "duds." :)

I have a list of books that I've never read but want to before I die. I start with those. I read the first page; if I don't have a burning desire to turn the page and keep reading, it goes in the "maybe later" pile. ;)

As for other books, if I'm in the store or at the library, it's usually the covers or titles that DO jump out at me (I'm shallow, I confess). Then I do the same test: if I don't want to turn the 1st page, forget it.

I can stay pretty focused on most tasks, but I have to admit that when it comes to reading a book, if my imagination isn't captured IMMEDIATELY, I just put the thing down and forget it exists. Maybe there's a reading-only version of ADD?

I visit the LibraryThing forums and get titles from reading through all the great discussions! I read other people's 888 lists. It's nice because there are groups for different genres. Then, I'll look up a title on Amazon and awaaaay we go! I just follow the rabbit trails of reviews, suggested titles on that page and maybe visit the author's site or blog and it just goes on from there. :001_smile:

Another fun thing that I like to do is take an author I know I like and then Google for "If you like ---author---" and it will take me to several great library websites from all over the country that list those kinds of comparisons to help you find other books you like in a specific genre.

But I like to read outside of my comfort zone, so I've simply gotten into the habit of asking people and seeking out new titles. I rarely even go to the bookstore or library without a list to look up! I still enjoy just browsing, though.

If I hear of a title or author here or elsewhere, I check out review on Amazon, and hit the library to see if the first few pages engage me.

If you want quality writing and exciting books - try the Patrick O'Brian series about Captain Jack Aubrey and Dr. Maturin. Read them in order - bear with the first couple books, by book three you are sucked in from the first page. I am rereading these series AGAIN (while also reading other stuff - why clean house when there are books to be read?) they are so good!