Menu

Swiftly Tilting Planet = Time and Space books

Kfamily

My younger dd has finally found a book that she is enjoying (we've been going through a dry spell for her :001_smile:)! She is really loving A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeline L'Engle. I have A Wrinkle in Time and can get the second book at the library for her. She is really interested in time and space now. She wants to understand how this works. Does anyone have any book suggestions (or web sites) that would help us in this area?

Thank You!

Have you tried "George's Secret Key to the Universe"? It's definitely about space, not so much about time, and it has a totally different feel than the Wrinkle in Time series.

"Bearing an Hourglass" by Piers Anthony looks at time, and it's fun, but you might want to pre-read since that author often addresses issues and situations more appropriate for teens & adults.

:)

I would be very leery of giving Piers Anthony to young women. For a while it seemed that every book featured a damaged, suicidal young woman at its core.

I remember the book Singularity by William Sleator back from when I was in Jr. High. It's about a set of twin brothers who discover a singularity, basically the event horizon for a black hole that distorts time in their playhouse, and what they choose to do about it.

One of the things I like about Swiftly Titling Planet is the complexity of the plot. Diana Wynne Jones books have that too, though the feel is really different. Her book A Tale of Time City might be a good one to try.

The other series I can think of that has time travel themes is The Time Travelers. Charlotte's Library is a good children's book blog I like whose author is really into time travel themed books. She has a list of them here.

Thank you! These look very interesting!

And thank you for that link to Charlotte's Library...I noticed House of Arden by E. Nesbit (which I had heard of before but did not know what it was about) and I think my dd would really like this one too.

Thank you all!

I'll be heading to the library very soon to see if any of these suggestions are there.

Thanks HG, my dds keep me on my toes!:001_smile: (I have to admit to how much I love learning it with them.)

Einstein's Dreams looks good too.

Edited by Kfamily