Menu

Jim Halverson's Spelling Works. Has anyone used this? for natural spellers?

Halcyon

He was an old teacher of mine, and another thread alerted me to the fact that he has written some books.....anyway, looking through Spelling Works intrigued me. I have two natural spellers, and this looks like it might be a good fit (I don't want to do NO spelling, and we've been using Spelling Power word lists for now). For example, his section on Homophone Demons would be RIGHT up my older's alley, as he tends to mix up their and there, amongst others. The "worksheets" look more like games; again, a plus. I really like the focus on "trouble spots" (for lack of a better word) like endings such as ous, eous, etc. which are exactly the areas my older tends to need help on.

Anyway, wondering if others have used this. I think I will order it for next year...looks really perfect for us.

ETA: It's available as a pdf on Scholastic's site...I wonder if it will show up in their next Dollar Days....:)

Edited by Halcyon

I cannot answer your question--mine is not a natural speller, and for the moment I am trying to get the composition and grammar aspects of writing up to speed. But, hey, you were a student of Jim's too? At St. Ann's? If yes, me too. Cool! I have been wondering what Jim would do with my son with regard to writing. What my son does like that fits with the grammar books Jim did is to do mazes. That is a little like Beast Academy in making things more fun, and I assume the Spelling has that fun aspect too.

I've never seen Jim's books show up on the dollar days. If you do, would you post that please.

Edited by Pen

I cannot answer your question--mine is not a natural speller, and for the moment I am trying to get the composition and grammar aspects of writing up to speed. But, hey, you were a student of Jim's too? At St. Ann's? If yes, me too. Cool! I have been wondering what Jim would do with my son with regard to writing. What my son does like that fits with the grammar books Jim did is to do mazes. That is a little like Beast Academy in making things more fun, and I assume the Spelling has that fun aspect too.

I've never seen Jim's books show up on the dollar days. If you do, would you post that please.

Yes, I was a student at St. Ann's, all 12 years :) It's been a long time since I've heard Jim's name. I was actually in the same year as his son, Leif. Right now I am just trying to decide if I should get the pdf so my son can do it on my iPad or if I should get the hard copy. Can't decide. Anyways, I do think the Spelling book looks very, very good and I am definitely going to buy it.

What year were you at St. Ann's??

Yes, I was a student at St. Ann's, all 12 years :) It's been a long time since I've heard Jim's name. I was actually in the same year as his son, Leif. Right now I am just trying to decide if I should get the pdf so my son can do it on my iPad or if I should get the hard copy. Can't decide. Anyways, I do think the Spelling book looks very, very good and I am definitely going to buy it.

What year were you at St. Ann's??

I tried to rePM you, but your box is full. You are lucky to have been there all 12 years--I wish I could have been--we moved a lot and I went to a lot of schools. St. Ann's was absolutely head and shoulders the best, and it was not even the only one I went to that was devoted to gifted kids.

I vote hard copy. I think we will soon learn that all this electronic stuff is as bad for us as cigarettes or worse. So says I while sitting in front of an EMF device and screen :001_huh:! Or maybe it will take as long for us to learn that as it did for the cigarettes.

Gotta get off and go get my son!