Menu

Do you find this to be odd? Kit An American Girl

Do you find this to be a little odd or is it just me?

Yesterday, dh took us girls to see Kit - An American Girl Movie. It was wonderful by the way. Its was very pro-family.

There was a older man, I would guess in his late 40s early 50s, in the theatre all by himself. As we passed him, he lowered his eyes. Right before the movie started, another man around the same age came in wearing a baseball cap and glasses and sat down by himself.:001_huh:

I felt a little creepy. My mommy intuition was flashing danger.

Dh j*st laught at me.

That happened to me once. I took my three girls plus another little girl to see Ella Enchanted. We were the only ones there until this lone older man came in and sat behind us. I did think it was a little strange!

That is way we always try to sit at the very top, that way no one can sit behind you.

I would definitely have my eyes and ears working overtime.

Do you find this to be a little odd or is it just me?

Yesterday, dh took us girls to see Kit - An American Girl Movie. It was wonderful by the way. Its was very pro-family.

There was a older man, I would guess in his late 40s early 50s, in the theatre all by himself. As we passed him, he lowered his eyes. Right before the movie started, another man around the same age came in wearing a baseball cap and glasses and sat down by himself.:001_huh:

I felt a little creepy. My mommy intuition was flashing danger.

Dh j*st laught at me.

A baseball cap and glasses, in a movie theater?? That's weird. I try not to make judgments about people in those situations, but I probably would have felt a little strange, too.

A friend was telling me that a security guard at our local library checks the predator list daily, and has to call the police in on a very regular basis because one of them will be hanging out at the library. So you can never be too careful!!

A man I used to work with had been molested in a movie theater when he was a child by a man. This happened decades ago but I'm always very wary because of what happened to him. I always make sure I'm between my children and any strangers or they are sitting on the aisle.

A man I used to work with had been molested in a movie theater when he was a child by a man. This happened decades ago but I'm always very wary because of what happened to him. I always make sure I'm between my children and any strangers or they are sitting on the aisle.

That was the embarrassing part that I left out. Dd8 sat right next to the 1st man :eek: and I had to move her. She sat in the area where we always sit, so it was hard to move her without explaining right away.:blushing:

That is scary and I would be very concerned in your place.

BUT, I check out movie reviews on www.dove.org and the reviewer for this movie was a man. Of course, that doesn't mean he went alone to review the movie.

What bothers me about your situation is that they were alone. I believe that it is better to be cautious in this type of situation. There are predators everywhere.

It could have been a predator or a man who lost his job and hasn't told his wife yet. You never know and it is always better to be safe than sorry.

It is hard not to judge people in that type of situation. If it had been me, I'd have just been aware and not let the kids go to concessions or bathroom alone.

Someone in my immediate family was molested by a man sitting right next to her in the movie theatre too! This incident happened a long time ago, but I'm sure it still happens!

A baseball cap and glasses, in a movie theater?? That's weird.

Hmm why is that weird? I do agree I would have been concerned with men alone, but not necessarily because he wore a hat and glasses. Lots of men wear hats inside - esp balding one. My dh always forgets to take his hat off. And well glasses - lots of us wear them in a movie theater to see the movie.

I have been in a theater by myself with my kids and had a man alone come in - that was really freaky. And it bothered me the whole movie.

I just made sure I could see him at all times - I didn't really enjoy that movie at all.

I think too many parents think movie theaters and libraries are safe and they drop their kids off there by themselves, so it makes a lot of sense that these are places you would find creepy people too. I can tell you my kids aren't going to the movies or the library alone anytime soon...

Hmm why is that weird? I do agree I would have been concerned with men alone, but not necessarily because he wore a hat and glasses. Lots of men wear hats inside - esp balding one. My dh always forgets to take his hat off. And well glasses - lots of us wear them in a movie theater to see the movie.

I thought about that after I posted. I automatically assumed sunglasses. That would be weird, right? Sunglasses in a movie theater? Unless you're Corey Hart, that seems weird to me. Of course, if it was the kind that change automatically, and they hadn't yet adjusted to the darkness of the theater, that wouldn't be strange. My dad wears those, and sometimes it takes a while for them to change to regular once he comes inside.

As far as the hat, again I was picturing sunglasses, and the combination of those two made me think of someone trying to go incognito. But you're certainly right, a hat alone wouldn't be enough to garner suspicion.

Unless you're Corey Hart...

That actually made me lol.

There are reasons that a man would go to a kid's movie alone. I have a son who is mentally challenged. If he was able to go to a movie as an adult he would probably still watch kid movies. That being said, American Girl would not be a movie that most boys or men would choose. The choice seems odd. So does wearing a hat AND sunglasses in the theater. It could have been completely innocent but I would watched my kids like a hawk.

As far as the hat, again I was picturing sunglasses, and the combination of those two made me think of someone trying to go incognito. But you're certainly right, a hat alone wouldn't be enough to garner suspicion.

His body language added to my thinking that he was trying to go incognito.

I thought about that after I posted. I automatically assumed sunglasses. That would be weird, right? Sunglasses in a movie theater? Unless you're Corey Hart, that seems weird to me. Of course, if it was the kind that change automatically, and they hadn't yet adjusted to the darkness of the theater, that wouldn't be strange. My dad wears those, and sometimes it takes a while for them to change to regular once he comes inside.

:lol: Yeah that would be weird - I guess because I wear glasses I thought glasses not sunglass. That would totally bother me. If you, picture the guy in sunglasses and a hat and it's creepy!

Guest Katia

While I do agree that your Mommy Radar is the best way to keep vigilant in any circumstance, there are many reasons an older man could be alone in a theatre aside from wanting to molest children.

My father is an older man, my mother is dead and he is alone. He doesn't like to watch "adult" movies as they move too quickly for him and he simply doesn't like the content. ie: he has all the DVDs for Walton's Mountain and loves them.

So.....I could see my dad being bored and wanting to go to a movie that is family oriented, but feeling a bit stupid about others watching him and wondering why he was there....lowering his eyes because he hates being there alone without my mom......

You see, it could be very innocent. I would watch my dc like I always do (I'm very protective, especially when they were young), but I wouldn't think bad thoughts about a man being anywhere alone. Especially an older one. There are reasons they are alone sometimes.