Menu

PLEASE, give me your opinion on what is going on with my dd

So my dd will be 7 y/o next week. In the last few days she has done a few "things" that has raised my eyebrows some. I mentioned it to both her OT and SLP and they too raised their eyebrows. What do you think?

So, she was sitting in the car with her best friend that she talks about all the time. She was trying to tell me what her and her friend were going to do, but she couldn't think of her friend's name. So instead my dd just said, "that girl sitting next to the window."

Okay, one time, no big deal.

Then, 2 days later a similar example where she was trying to say the word "grandma". Instead she said, "that lady standing next to the grocery cart.".

Then today, her OT said that when dd asked her what her name was, she told her (apparently dd does ask her this every session - they have had 4 so far), but today, she had to ask her OT 4X what her name was.

Memory recall issues? APD? What? She can't get any more testing done because she saw a neuropsych guy last fall, and she has to have 1 year between testing (I found this out the hard way, after 1 hour of phone calls today). He didn't do any APD testing on her because she was only 6.

Thanks all.

DS does this, not with names but when he can't think of the proper vocabulary term for something. So a "sink" became "the place where you wash your hands". He has odd vocabulary gaps even though overall his vocabulary tests within the normal range (and therefore he doesn't currently qualify for ST). He's got some red flags for autistic spectrum disorder so the vocab gaps could be a symptom of that.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

If she's turning 7, you could have her tested by an AudD. for CAPD. You wouldn't need to wait the full year after seeing the NP.

For working memory, CogMed training is supposed to be super-helpful but it is very pricey and typically not covered by insurance.

Well, after a few more phone calls, it turns out she never actually saw a neuropsych, she saw a child psych. Thanks for the input so far. The weird thing is this is new for her to have this problem.

What is a CTOPP?

Edited by momsuz123
question

I do not know what is going on with your dd. My son who has dyslexia type issues does similar, I have assumed they are related to his words issues, but they did not start all of a sudden.

ETA: I think if it started suddenly as you describe, I would be quite concerned. Was there any head injury or anything?

Edited by Pen

Can your SLP do some testing for word finding? It could be a problem with language formulation. Our SLP tested my son for word finding and also did a language sample for about 10 min. of a session. She found that ds didn't have trouble with word finding, but was having trouble when he was trying to use longer and more complex utterences.

I do not know what is going on with your dd. My son who has dyslexia type issues does similar, I have assumed they are related to his words issues, but they did not start all of a sudden.

ETA: I think if it started suddenly as you describe, I would be quite concerned. Was there any head injury or anything?

She hasn't had a fall or anything, but this is my concern - the suddeness of it. Why now? Maybe we are taxing her system with VT, OT and SLP at the same time? I don't know. Her OT mentioned getting an EEG to just rule things out. She said, that maybe the brain was mis-firing, or something like that. Problem is, the pediatrician won't order any tests, so we just have to sit here and do nothing for about 5 more months. (Then it will be one year from the last test).

She hasn't had a fall or anything, but this is my concern - the suddeness of it. Why now? Maybe we are taxing her system with VT, OT and SLP at the same time? I don't know. Her OT mentioned getting an EEG to just rule things out. She said, that maybe the brain was mis-firing, or something like that. Problem is, the pediatrician won't order any tests, so we just have to sit here and do nothing for about 5 more months. (Then it will be one year from the last test).

Does this happen in all environments equally? Could she be sensitive to something? Chemicals, foods, mold...??? There are also a lot of concerns about Electrosmog on children's brain function, not just tumors from cell phone use, but also brainfog from ambient exposure. Maybe something like that?

I think I would start keeping a log of what happened and when and where and so on to see if there is any correlation to places she has been, foods eaten (or not eaten), sleep, electronics exposures, etc. There could be correlations to things that are delayed also. For example, I have delayed gluten reactions. My son is very reactive to plastics and indoor environments with formaldehyde and other products that he describes as smelling like hotels. Etc.

And I'd also look at things like do her pupils look to be same size as each other and dilating normally...any of the brain injury things one can check at home. Aside from a fall there could be something like bumping head on shelf that could actually cause some damage and maybe not be noticed or remembered.

ETA: oh, and lights. some people get problems from florescent lights for example. Is this the same if she is indoors or in nature? And is it seeming to be getting worse or is it stable... if it is getting worse, I'd get back to your pediatrician and not wait the 5 mos. Chidren can have all sorts of things, aneurisms, tumors even. Some of them it does not matter if you wait, but some of them it could.

Edited by Pen