Menu

Please help me choose the perfect small dog breed for a non dog loving family

Ok, I know I am rotten for not loving dogs so please no flames. It is not as if I hate them, I would just rather stay animal free. However. DD wants a puppy to love so badly I am willing to change my ways. Her best friend just got a pug puppy and her love for the puppy is just too much to ignore. She is incredibly mature and responsible, so I am thinking of next spring for her birthday. I know that if I get an animal, I will love it too and it will be family, which is why I have been avoiding this for so long. I do not want to love a puppy LOL.

So, the criteria:

As small as possible. I do not really know much about dog personalities, but I hear some of the tiny dogs are kind of annoying and hyper. I am not interested in a shelter dog as I have a sort of fear of dogs as is after bad experiences, so I must know exactly where the dog came from. I thought about a small poodle because I heard they do not have the typical dog fur, more like hair? DD has mild allergies but seems ok around several tiny dogs we know. So what are some options? I want a while to find a breeder and make the necessary changes around the house if needed to accommodate a pet. Would a pug be a good choice? I have to admit, that looking at the adult pugs, I do not think they are necessarily beautiful things.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the Japanese Chin. They are often described as the most "cat-like" of dogs, which I think means they can stare out of a window for long periods of time. I have only met one in real life, and he was cute and lively, and not the least bit yappy. They do have long hair, but they're small, so really--how much could they shed??? I am a big dog person, but this Chin was almost enough to make me consider a wee thing.

The pugs I have known were all quite hyper, and they have breathing problems and snore, which is not surprising. Pug lovers will throw things at me for saying that, but that was my admittedly rather narrow experience with pugs.

Terri

Might not be what you want to hear, but if you don't like dogs, and would rather remain pet-free, but you'd like to get your daughter an animal to love, I'd consider a cat instead. That might meet some of both of your desires/needs. Cats are SO much easier to care for than dogs. We have one of each, and the cat is no bother when it comes to leaving for the day (or on vacation), while the dog has to have arrangements made regularly. And a cat can be fun to cuddle and love, too. Our cat sits on my lap nearly every night when I'm on the computer after everyone is in bed.

Well, first you have to keep in mind that puppies are messy and they are not housebroken over night. They have a tendency to find pleasure in ripping napkins to shreds and more. So, it will be best if you arm yourself psychologically for all the work and supervision a puppy requires. And educate yourself on being a good pack leader from the start so you can avoid problems down the road. My thinking tends to be that there ae no bad dogs just bad owners that coddle the bad behavior, including small dog yappiness.

All that said, we have a 14 week old Maltese that we welcomed into our family at 7 weeks. He is a great dog. He has the perfect energy level for my family. My son IS allergic to dogs and the first week he broke out in hives when the puppy licked him. We have taught the dog not to lick him in the face. I kept him on meds for about 2 weeks and he hasn't had any more problems. Maltese tend to be hypoallergenic because they don't really shed. But they do require LOTS of grooming. That something I am learning to do myself to cut done on cost and time at the groomers. Becase of the heat, we keep his body short and legs fluffy.

Might not be what you want to hear, but if you reeeaaallly don't like dogs, and the purpose is get your daughter an animal to love, I'd consider a cat. They are SO much easier to care for than dogs. We have one of each, and the cat is no bother when it comes to leaving for the day (or on vacation), while the dog has to have arrangements made regularly. And a cat can be fun to cuddle and love, too. Our cat sits on my lap nearly every night when I'm on the computer after everyone is in bed.

A cat is not an option as DH is allergic. I have almost a year to mull it over, but I am leaning more and more towards being ok with it. We are close friends with the family of the pug puppy, and I am trying to spend time with it to see if I can handle the idea of caring for one. Obviously DD cannot do everything on her own. And also the idea of having a friend with whom we can leave the dog with if needed is a plus.

I have heard that Welsh Corgis are pretty good dogs for families. We looked into an English Setter a while ago, though they're a bit on the big side. I want to say that I've also heard that French Bulldogs might be a good fit.

I myself have a fondness for Jack Russells, but they're not a great fit for us right now, so I'm waiting until the kids are grown, and then it can be Mommy's pup. :)

Our cats are easy to take care of. I prefer our male very much to our female; he's sweet and easy-going, and she's feistier and more of a pain, IMO.

if you are thinking minature poodle:glare: - I would *strongly* urge a consideration of a bichon frise. they look alot like a white minature poodle, don't shed all over and have a much better temperment. :) they are very smart too. (and they aren't arfy. the two I knew rarely ever barked.)

with any dog, you need to look at the whole litter and see which personality would most fit with your family. do not buy one just because it's the breed of dog you're looking for - wait for one with the right personality.

ds's girlfriend raises klee kais (minature husky - looks like a puppy even when adult) - I'd never heard of them, but I'm seriously tempted . . . (but then, I like german shephards.:D)

Edited by gardenmom5

Our neighbor just got a coton de tulear. Look it up! It's a hypoallergenic dog and it is SOOOO adorable. Hers is cuddly and sweet and not at ALL barky.

We are considering one as well!

OMG WHAT?!!!! That is the most adorable thing I have EVER seen! I love it already! I think I'm sold.

I have almost a year to prepare. How do you look for a breeder?

A mini schnauzer. I had bad allergies when I was little but not to schnauzes. Ive had 4 in my life. All great, though the ones my mom trained were better behaved. Otherwise, Maltese are hypoallergenic as are poodles. My parents have had 2 Maltese and they both are sweet. But I love schnauzers. Yes, they can be barkers but trainable. The ones I have had all loved kids. Make sure you look at minis. My last one ended up standard size! Fine with me but I was upset that I was told it was a mini. No shedding!!!

They are ugly as sin, but have you considered a Chinese Crested? They come in 2 types-- partially hairless (this breed often wins the Ugliest Dog Contest) and ones with hair. I guess it all depends on which genes they get. My brother said you can't breed 2 hairless together so I think they generally breed a hairy one with a hairless one. My brother's dog is on the large side for his breed (he does not meet breed standard) and is about 15 lbs. My brother has a hairless Chinese Crested and his MIL has 2 hairy Chinese Crested. All 3 are sweet dogs and excellent with people. My brother's MIL's dogs haven't had much exposure to kids, and my kids were all over them. They were just eating up the attention, play-time, and snuggles. Compared to other small dogs, they are not nearly as hyper. I think they have hair instead of fur so they do need to be groomed. Some of the sites I went on said that they are not good with strangers, but all 3 of these dogs (all from the same breeder in Maine) are great with everyone. My brother and SIL have done an excellent job with socializing their dog, but as I said, I don't think SIL's mom necessarily has and her dogs were mellow and friendly. The sites I read also say they rarely bark. SIL's mom's dogs rarely bark at all. Radar (brother's dog) DOES bark a lot. It's not as much as other small breeds, but he does, and it sounds like a screaming lady. It's horrible. That's not the norm for the breed though. They were bred to be rat-catchers and companion dogs. They can easily be trained to do tricks if that's something your daughter would be interested in doing with the dog.

Regardless of what you decide to get, make sure you train and socialize your puppy well. You'll avoid a world of problems if you invest a significant amount of time in training it early.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/chinese_crested/

http://www.terrificpets.com/dog_breeds/chinese_crested.asp

We like our chihuahua and in the past we found a chiweenie at the pound who was very sweet. Really think this through. Do you want to clean up pee. Find dirt in your bed from a borrowing dog. Pee on the floor because it is wet or cold outside. Trash on the floor because it smelled yummy. Fur on your couch because even though it is off limits when you are home all bets are off when you are away on a trip. I used to prefer cats. Then we had some sweet dogs. Really though I miss the dog free days without fur all over my house. Did I mention dh brought home a dog that sheds like all get out...

Shi Tzu.

Most friendly, non aggressive, kid tolerant small dogs I know. I worked in veterinary medicine in South Florida, land of the toy breeds, for 15 years. Maltese/toy poodle/chihuahua/Coton/havanese all were more likely to bite than a Shih Tzu.

if you are thinking minature poodle:glare: - I would *strongly* urge a consideration of a bichon frise. they look alot like a white minature poodle, don't shed all over and have a much better temperment. :) they are very smart too. (and they aren't arfy. the two I knew rarely ever barked.)

with any dog, you need to look at the whole litter and see which personality would most fit with your family. do not buy one just because it's the breed of dog you're looking for - wait for one with the right personality.

ds's girlfriend raises klee kais (minature husky - looks like a puppy even when adult) - I'd never heard of them, but I'm seriously tempted . . . (but then, I like german shephards.:D)

oh yes, a bichon over a toy poodle ANY day. Much happier. Toy poodles seem to suffer from angst, I swear. (I like the bigger poodles, but the toy ones do NOT mesh with kids well )

oh yes, a bichon over a toy poodle ANY day. Much happier. Toy poodles seem to suffer from angst, I swear. (I like the bigger poodles, but the toy ones do NOT mesh with kids well )

My experience has been 100% different. While I absolutely adored my bichon frise my mom's toy poodle has a 100% better temperament and was so much more incredibly easier to train.

Pugs do have some breathing issues (or potential breathing issues) you might want to look into.

We have a miniature schnauzer, and we love him. He doesn't bother my allergies at all. He's great with kids, was easy to train, and is a pretty smart little guy. He weights about 18 pounds, but he's also a really sturdy dog. I don't have to worry about the kids being too rough with him. Schnauzers do require regular grooming to keep the schnauzer "look" (which can be a little costly), but they do not shed.

I am not a dog person at all, but my husband and kids are. Although I could have happily lived without a dog, I felt it was important for my kids for me to try to get over that. I'm still not a dog person, but I love "my" dog! :)

We have a bichon/shIh tzu mix and he is mean as all get out to strangers. Not sure if that has something to do with his history though since he was a rescue. But with the family he is the perfect lap dog. Calm, doesn't shed and very little barking.

We have a pug too and I love him but he is hyper. He's still a puppy so I'm not sure if he will calm down with age but he takes a lot of attention and time. He was super easy to train though.

Shi Tzu.

Most friendly, non aggressive, kid tolerant small dogs I know. I worked in veterinary medicine in South Florida, land of the toy breeds, for 15 years. Maltese/toy poodle/chihuahua/Coton/havanese all were more likely to bite than a Shih Tzu.

Ok I'll look in to those as well.

This is a HUGE decision. I definitely want to choose by most appropriate breed. At least I have lots of time to read up. But for spring 2013, I think I need to make a decision and put down a deposit soon.

We have a very sweet mannered lovable schnoodle! Part mini poodle, part mini schnauzer. He is all black, has hair, not fur and the most adorable eyes ever. He was easy to train and rarely barks. Everyone that has met him, says he is the sweetest thing ever. He has never shown any agressiveness at all. I know many people with schnoodles and they will tell you how great they are. Find a breeder near you and go check them out. Pick the quiet shy pup and you should be good. Watch out for the one who is jumping on the others and biting ears!

I have successfully homed a few hundred stray/surrendered dogs over the years. I would recommend breeds such as Bichon, Japanese Chin, Papillon, and Sheltie (shetland sheepdog) would be some of the small breeds I would recommend. Labrador Retriever, Keeshond, Brittany Spaniel, Golden Retriever, and Standard Schnauzer would be some of the large breeds. I would NEVER allow a dog to be rehomed or sold unless the person it was being gifted to came and picked it out themselves. The breed and personality of each person and dog varies enough that it's important to have them pick out their own dog. I personally breed American Cocker Spaniels, and they are amazing little dogs, but unless she is willing to do a little work and studying, they are not a dog for everyone. That being said, my 7 year old dd has successfully trained hers. Pugs are a super friendly dog, but their yeast problems, and respiratory problems make me hesitate to recommend them to first time dog owners.

Also I would NEVER recommend getting a puppy your first time. Find an well trained adult. If you talk to reputable breeders they will sometimes help you find adults that are in need of new homes. I have had adults come back to me that were in situations where an owner had died, or job loss and they couldn't find somewhere to live where the dog was allowed (it does happen). I often work with the dog for awhile to make sure it's up to date on it's training and then find it a suitable home, so I am sure there are breeders down there that do the same.

I have successfully homed a few hundred stray/surrendered dogs over the years. I would recommend breeds such as Bichon, Japanese Chin, Papillon, and Sheltie (shetland sheepdog) would be some of the small breeds I would recommend. Labrador Retriever, Keeshond, Brittany Spaniel, Golden Retriever, and Standard Schnauzer would be some of the large breeds. I would NEVER allow a dog to be rehomed or sold unless the person it was being gifted to came and picked it out themselves. The breed and personality of each person and dog varies enough that it's important to have them pick out their own dog. I personally breed American Cocker Spaniels, and they are amazing little dogs, but unless she is willing to do a little work and studying, they are not a dog for everyone. That being said, my 7 year old dd has successfully trained hers. Pugs are a super friendly dog, but their yeast problems, and respiratory problems make me hesitate to recommend them to first time dog owners.

Also I would NEVER recommend getting a puppy your first time. Find an well trained adult. If you talk to reputable breeders they will sometimes help you find adults that are in need of new homes. I have had adults come back to me that were in situations where an owner had died, or job loss and they couldn't find somewhere to live where the dog was allowed (it does happen). I often work with the dog for awhile to make sure it's up to date on it's training and then find it a suitable home, so I am sure there are breeders down there that do the same.

Thank you, but this is not going to be a first time, it's going to be only time ;). I know there are many families who are appropriate for re homing dogs, but we are definitely not one of them. The weird thing is, I actually contacted two different agencies, and they treated me like I was some kind of criminal :lol:. It was strange, and I am horribly difficult to offend!

I wish I would not have looked at shi tzu pup photos. OMG those are the most precious little things ever. I have emailed a few breeders who I will visit and make a decision.

Thank you, but this is not going to be a first time, it's going to be only time ;). I know there are many families who are appropriate for re homing dogs, but we are definitely not one of them. The weird thing is, I actually contacted two different agencies, and they treated me like I was some kind of criminal :lol:. It was strange, and I am horribly difficult to offend!

I wish I would not have looked at shi tzu pup photos. OMG those are the most precious little things ever. I have emailed a few breeders who I will visit and make a decision.

Don't go through a shelter for a rehoming. And just as a heads up, I have struggled with finding good matches for every shih tzu that's come through here. They are sweet and adorably cute, but rather hard to train.

Anyway, whatever you go for, good luck and make sure you get a breeder who will give you life long support.

Ok, I know I am rotten for not loving dogs so please no flames. It is not as if I hate them, I would just rather stay animal free. However. DD wants a puppy to love so badly I am willing to change my ways. Her best friend just got a pug puppy and her love for the puppy is just too much to ignore. She is incredibly mature and responsible, so I am thinking of next spring for her birthday. I know that if I get an animal, I will love it too and it will be family, which is why I have been avoiding this for so long. I do not want to love a puppy LOL.

So, the criteria:

As small as possible. I do not really know much about dog personalities, but I hear some of the tiny dogs are kind of annoying and hyper. I am not interested in a shelter dog as I have a sort of fear of dogs as is after bad experiences, so I must know exactly where the dog came from. I thought about a small poodle because I heard they do not have the typical dog fur, more like hair? DD has mild allergies but seems ok around several tiny dogs we know. So what are some options? I want a while to find a breeder and make the necessary changes around the house if needed to accommodate a pet. Would a pug be a good choice? I have to admit, that looking at the adult pugs, I do not think they are necessarily beautiful things.

Pugs are gorgeous, what are you talking about??? They can shed a ton though. I agree with a bichon. Also, look for a very, very good breeder. I regret that I wasn't as choosy - I still love her, but a good breeder can make a world of difference in good temperament.

Wet blanket here. Just remember that dogs live 15+ years. Most likely your daughter will be off to college and you will be caring for her dog. It is something that the humane society tried to drill into us that we really didn't understand. I love my pets but I'll be honest that I won't miss the hair, smell, poo pick up, trying to find a kennel every time we go on vacation, and muzzling my dog so she won't nip the vet. Pups are cute, but they are a long-term (IMHO) commitment.

Wet blanket here. Just remember that dogs live 15+ years. Most likely your daughter will be off to college and you will be caring for her dog. It is something that the humane society tried to drill into us that we really didn't understand. I love my pets but I'll be honest that I won't miss the hair, smell, poo pick up, trying to find a kennel every time we go on vacation, and muzzling my dog so she won't nip the vet. Pups are cute, but they are a long-term (IMHO) commitment.

I was thinking something snarky in my head for a second but I'll say thank you instead :lol:. Seriously I know what you mean. I am going back and forth. This would be a teeny tiny dog, but ya, just smaller poo. I don't want to plan our lives thinking of college though, KWIM? It is something to consider though. I know for sure I'd end up loving a pet. And the fact that DH would agree but not like it makes me not sure.

We got a dog this Christmas and it is the first time I've had a dog, since we had one as a kid. Things that you may want to consider.

= separation anxiety/feeling tied down - some dogs have it even if you crate train have anxiety and you will feel tied down. We didn't leave the dog alone at home more than 2 hours for the first 3 months.

- no matter what you expect - it is the parents who have to take care of the dog. Don't forget - applying flea and tick medicine, removing ticks, other medicine. That also applies to cleaning up poop and pee.

- some dogs need more exercise - so that means walking the dog - and I mean every single day even if it rains.

We love our dog, but I think if my DH had to do it over he might have gone for a cat (I was okay with a cat or dog, but he wanted a dog).

We have a Pug/Beagle mix.

Good Luck.

Last year we acquired a Toy Fox Terrier puppy, and she's been great. I mean, she IS a puppy, and there's been pee and poo and chewed up stuff now and then, and she does shed. But she has a wonderful personality, happy to romp with dd, curl up in dh's lap while he watches TV, walk around the block with me, and mostly not bother ds, who prefers to watch, not touch. She's smart, and hasn't been too hard to train at all, although she has recently been having a bit of a regression, which I think is partly her age, and partly that her "daddy" has been out of town for quite a while and she misses him. I just don't play with her as much as he does, even though I try to get some play and training time in every day. She catches on to new "tricks" and games pretty quickly. Dd has had a wonderful time teaching her to do things like "high five" and "dance", in addition to the more normal things like "sit" and "down" and "wait". The other day I was sitting on the floor in one room (I don't remember why) and she was in the next room over just around the corner, and I decided to play peek-a-boo a little and see what she would do. So I'd lean around the corner and say "boo", and then lean back behind the corner. The first few times she just sort of quirked an ear at me. Then she started doing a little happy jig every time I popped out, and after seven or eight times I waited a little extra long before popping out, and she pranced in to where I was, barked once, and then popped back around the corner. A moment later she popped back in, barked once, and ducked back around the corner. She caught on to that one really fast. Had the whole family giggling hysterically. Of course after a little while of that she went into a bit of a puppy frenzy from all the attention and went zooming around the house until I caught her and stuck her in her crate to calm down. But I gather that sort of thing will mellow out when she gets a bit older (she's still only about 9 months old and my sister, the crazy dog woman, tells me to expect the puppy crazies and adolescent testing of boundaries to continue until she's about 18 months). She does have quite the fun little personality though.

She's also very wash and wear. Aside from an occasional bath and claw clipping she really doesn't need much grooming. Brushing helps reduce the shedding, but I'll be honest with you, fur still gets all over. It's little short fur, but there does seem to be a good bit of it.

Anyway...as easy care small breeds go, we've found her to be quite delightful for a first ever dog.

ETA: Dh really wanted a cat because his family had cats when he was growing up, but I'm way too allergic to cats to live with one. The dog doesn't seem to bother my allergies except sometime my arms get a little itchy if I hold her for a long time when she hasn't been bathed for a while. Dh now says he's glad we got her instead of a cat because she cuddles with him, which is mostly what he wanted from a cat, but she's a lot more affection and personality than a cat does, and he likes that she loves him back instead of just deigning to allow the human to interact with her. And she's about the same size as a cat.

Edited by MamaSheep

our pug was stinkin awesome. :D

I have already told my hubby that I want to get a pug someday. We have had a couple come through here for re-homing and they were awesome dogs temperament wise. Very willing to please. I almost kept a 2 year old male that was here just cause he was soo easy to train. He wasn't very smart, but he wanted to please so he did whatever he could to figure out what I wanted.

I know you've gotten a lot of other suggestions, but honestly Pugs ROCK!! Ours is 7 years old and loves to be with the kids. He doesn't require much exercise at all, a quick walk around the block and he's spent. LOL He was pretty easy to train, and his main goal in life is to make us laugh. He can always be found snuggled with someone, or sitting under one of the desks during school time. Here's a recent picture of my dd with our pug all curled up watching TV. Like I said he just loves to hang out with someone. Almost forgot to add, my dh loves the Pug because he's a "Manly small dog" he didn't want a froo froo dog.

600479_3514149181275_769272763_n.jpg

I have heard that Welsh Corgis are pretty good dogs for families.

I was going to suggest a Corgi as well. They are great little dogs and do well with children. Another suggestion would be either a long haired or short haired dachshund. With some patience with training and lots of positive support, those little dogs make excellent companions. Poodles, in my opinion, are too high strung. I've never met a poodle that I liked, and I'm a life long dog fan.

Have fun shopping!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Awww that pug pic is sweet :D

I am reading more and more that shih tzus should not be bread to be those new designer tiny sizes. They are small as is, but 9-16 pounds is the "normal" adult size. I want the smallest dog possible, but one that is healthy

Lisa, when I was 10yo my family got a Boston terrier. She was the sweetest dog. She slept under the covers (great bed warmer!) behind my knees. I have a lot of fond memories of Sugar. I'm sure your daughters are going to love having a dog. :)

We have 2 papillons. I love their personality. They are both playful and love snuggling too. One of them does tend to be a bit yappy though. The first one though rarely barks. The little one, well she's just 2lbs, I think she's determined to make up for her size, lol. The other one is 8lbs and he's so laid back and easy going.

Both are super tolerant of kids though. Never had an issue and we have lots of kiddos in and out. They haven't been an issue for either kiddo with asthma. They shed a bit but not too much. They rarely need bathed, they just don't seem to have much bo even when they play hard.

We have a chihuahua that is absolutely wonderful.

We also recently got a puggish dog.

My DD has wanted a pug for years. Recently she started asking for one again. DH asked if it was ok if we got one if one happened to turn up. I agreed.

A few days later, surprise surprise... the dog rescue lady who gave us the chihuahua has a pug-schnauzer mix (apparently this is called a "schnug"). That was the first warning. I've never really liked schnauzers.

He was told it looked mostly like a pug, except the nose was a little bit longer. Overall probably a good thing - squashed up noses tend to lead to respiratory problems.

I looked up schnugs. A lot of them looked pretty pug-like.

Second warning - the dog rescue lady told DH that her name was Pita. "Like the bread", said DH. "Not like the acronym?" I asked. DH didn't think they'd name a dog after People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. I clarified that I'd meant the other PITA (Pain in the A*). He didn't think it was that, either.

He brought the dog home.

She's about the ugliest dog I've ever seen - a pug with longer schnauzer-length fur, and a bizarre black spot in the middle of her forehead, and she's snaggletoothed. She doesn't bark all that much, but when she does, it's ALWAYS for a long time in the middle of the night. She's questionably potty trained.

She is sweet though, and good with the kids. I'm just glad DD, expecting a pug, didn't burst into tears that the sight of her :)

(The picture doesn't do her justice)

2012-06-18%252019.36.16.jpg

Edited by ocelotmom

So, the criteria:

I am not flaming you - but I will say honestly that if you really do not enjoy the company of dogs, I think you should not try to have one in your family. Any dog will eventually try your patience. If you don't like them much in the first place, your chances of successfully working through that go down a lot. And I would absolutely not recommend any puppy if you are lukewarm toward dogs. Raising a puppy into a nice adult dog can take a lot of commitment and effort and they can put you through a lot of stress. Many well-intentioned people get in over their heads with a puppy and the dog eventually is surrendered to a rescue or shelter. Sorry to sound cynical but this happens all the time.

Awww that pug pic is sweet :D

I am reading more and more that shih tzus should not be bread to be those new designer tiny sizes. They are small as is, but 9-16 pounds is the "normal" adult size. I want the smallest dog possible, but one that is healthy

NO tiny tiny dog is a great health bet. When you start manipulating genetics like that things go very very wrong. Plus, tiny puppies are like premature babies...very delicate, get low blood sugar, etc. A normal sized shih tzu is plenty small. Smaller than that and you might as well get a guinea pig. Seriously.

Like I said, i worked in veterinary medicine in the Palm Beach area. 80 percent or more of our patients were toy breeds. The "teacup" ones were sickly. The healthiest, happiest, most easy going were the pugs and shih tzus (of the breeds you mentioned), but pugs snore and shed and would be more allergenic.

So, the criteria:

I haven't read any of the other replies, so forgive me if this is redundant, but I just want to point out two things:

1. ALL small dogs are annoying and hyper. Or can be so. ;) And I'm only half kidding about that. No I'm not. Yes I am. No, I'm really not.

2. Small dogs, and tiny dogs especially, are NOTORIOUSLY difficult to housebreak.

3. If you really dont' want a dog, you probably should go with your gut on that. My dd wanted a baby brother or sister, but my gut said no, so she's 15 and an only child. :D

astrid

My dh is not a dog person, and I wasn't either. But I felt it was time we go ahead and get a dog so I convinced him to let me get a Boston Terrier. We are so in love. We just got a second one 2 weeks ago. :001_smile: They're really great dogs. I don't recommend getting one younger than 10-12 weeks though, if you can help it.

Another vote for a Shih Tzu. :D I had one for 13 yrs and she was a great dog. We got a rescue dog, Catahoula/Beagle mix, in March that we had to take back because she was just too aggressive for this mostly girl family. :) After that experience, I decided I wanted another Shih Tzu. Just got her last weekend at 12 weeks. We are already in love with her! Even though it was not the case with my first dog, this one is, thankfully, potty trained.

The weird thing is, I actually contacted two different agencies, and they treated me like I was some kind of criminal :lol:. It was strange, and I am horribly difficult to offend!

Shelters and rescues are super weird right now. Lots of decent people aren't good enough for them.

Small dogs can live a long time. Remember that the dog may be around your daughter has left home.

Also, you would need to be willing to care for the dog if the child does not follow through. A child does not have the reasoning or commitment capacity to make a decision to care for a dog for its entire life.