Menu

If you have flown recently with Delta,

I haven't flown Delta recently, but in general a birth certificate is all that is needed for any minor aged child. My kids don't even have passports and we've always just used their birth certificates to fly. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that anyone has ever actually asked to see it, but I carry copies with me when flying just in case.

Only folk over 18 need a photo idea. Delta (or any other domestic flight) doesn't require photos for children:

Documents

Airline identification requirements follow those outlined by the Department of Homeland Security and the Transportation Security Administration. Delta requires that all domestic passengers 18 or older must have a valid federal or state government-issued photo identification. If you do not have a photo identification, you must present two unexpired forms of identification, one of which must be issued by a state or federal agency.

Read more: Delta Airline Regulations

I've flown domestically with the kids, and never needed a birth certificate. You can bring one if you wish, but it's not likely to be needed.

Edited by LibraryLover

For future reference, you could see if your local DMV issues non-driver ID cards. Many do, and in some places you can get them the same day (assuming you bring the appropriate documentation with you to start). The only time we've flown with ID for the children has been when we went overseas - we had to have passports for everyone then. We do NOT fly with their passports when we fly domestically.

FWIW, the TSA agents seem to make small talk with the kids when we're at the podium showing ID. That might be just polite conversation, or it might be a way to make sure the children aren't being "taken." They ask how old the boys are, where they're going, etc. It's been very relaxed, and I opted to not read much into it. They haven't pressured my nervous kid to talk (maybe because his brother will talk to anyone about anything? who knows). They do ask who is who as they're looking at the tickets, and I usually answer, but soemtimes the boys will chime in.

It isn't a bad idea to get a non-driver ID from your DMV anyway. DS11has a name that is on the watch list, and after 3 episodes of being held up at checkin (starting when he was 6), I finally got the ID. And PSA - the checkin agents are not amused when you say that he is only a terrorist at home.

It isn't a bad idea to get a non-driver ID from your DMV anyway. DS11has a name that is on the watch list, and after 3 episodes of being held up at checkin (starting when he was 6), I finally got the ID. And PSA - the checkin agents are not amused when you say that he is only a terrorist at home.

:lol:

I might try at the DMV when we go to the city tomorrow, but I won't stress if it is hard or impossible to do in one day.

:lol:

I might try at the DMV when we go to the city tomorrow, but I won't stress if it is hard or impossible to do in one day.

Pardon me while I play Captain Obvious for a moment :) Check your DMV website and see what paperwork they require. If they're going to need stuff you don't have, you can save yourself the DMV adventure. In AZ, you'd have to have 3 pieces of non-photo ID (or two pieces if you have one with a picture). If my kids didn't have passports, I'm not sure what I'd use. The list here: http://mvd.azdot.gov/mvd/formsandpub/viewPDF.asp?lngProductKey=1410&lngFormInfoKey=1410 makes me think that maybe I could use our health insurance card because the kids are named on it. I feel like they need more things to get a non-driver ID card than they needed to get a passport!

Pardon me while I play Captain Obvious for a moment :) Check your DMV website and see what paperwork they require. If they're going to need stuff you don't have, you can save yourself the DMV adventure. In AZ, you'd have to have 3 pieces of non-photo ID (or two pieces if you have one with a picture). If my kids didn't have passports, I'm not sure what I'd use. The list here: http://mvd.azdot.gov/mvd/formsandpub/viewPDF.asp?lngProductKey=1410&lngFormInfoKey=1410 makes me think that maybe I could use our health insurance card because the kids are named on it. I feel like they need more things to get a non-driver ID card than they needed to get a passport!

I only need two forms, which I have. I wouldn't have thought to look, though. Thanks.

I feel like they need more things to get a non-driver ID card than they needed to get a passport!

Right now, in NJ it IS easier to get a passport than a digital driver's license if you have one of the old ones. We have this 6-point system where different paperwork is assigned a different point value and you must total 6 points PLUS have proof of address PLUS have proof of any name changes to connect different pieces of paper work. So I needed to find a utility bill in my name even though dh had the house long before I came to prove address (ended up using bank statement), my birth certificate, first marriage license, divorce papers, second marriage license, old drivers license, social security card.....

It was much easier (although more expensive) to get my passport. If I had done that first, getting the digital license would have been much easier. :tongue_smilie:

If you are flying within the US, you don't even need to bother with the birth certificate. They won't ask for it. All you need is ID's for all adults and the children's names on their tickets. Like someone else said, they may ask the kids a few simple questions, but last time we flew the TSA guy barely looked at my kids.