Menu

anyone have luck with a non-stimulant ADD medication -- if so what...

the title says it all.

we have tired GUANFACINE - ORAL (Tenex) and may go back, but it seemed to sedate him a great deal (falling asleep at 3 pm and staying asleep till 10, going back to bed by 11 and so on).

Anything else?

My DS has been on Straterra for a few years, and it's been very helpful. We haven't had problems with side effects. My kid's biggest problem is with inattention, and he's prone to anxiety. That's the kind of kid that Straterra targets because it doesn't aggravate anxiety the way the stimulant meds. can. It definitely didn't sedate him.

Now if your child's problem is more slanted to hyperactivity, I have no idea if it would be suitable.

DD5 is on Strattera and has been since around January. It is a God-send for her. She doesn't have stomach issues. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

thanks

we had a med check yesterday and came up with a Plan A, B and C -- and Strattera is one of them. we are going to, first, re-challange a medication that worked for him untill refilled and then did not and see if we can go back to it, it is a stim which i am not ovely happy about but i have seen it work -- so that is our first try

• 2 months later...

Older post revival.

DS (7) is on tenex, and it makes him very sleepy. I have not seen his impulsivity improved, overall, and now, his anxiety seems to be worse. Phobias have a appeared where there were non..insects, the dark, sleeping alone...and his social anxiety ("I don't want others to look at/judge me, so I refuse to participate") is still there.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ds is on a very low dose of Vyvanse, and it is a miracle worker. He hasn't had any problems with anxiety, loss of sleep or growth issues. the only thing we have to watch is that he gets a lot of protein at breakfast, and then something easy to eat mid day. By dinner he is back to normal hunger levels.

I have found that if he doesn't take in enough calories during the day, the headaches, anxiety, and stomach problems creep in almost instantly. As long as I can get enough nutrients and water in him he has few to no side effects.

All of the other stimulants we tried were horrible, he was angry, weepy, more distracted, and in the case of Concentra, downright aggressive.

On rougher days, or when we have something I know is likely to cause a meltdown he also has some coffee, or sometimes a 5 hour energy, which is mostly a large dose of B vitamins, and a little caffeine. Both help a lot if used sparingly.

Ds is on a very low dose of Vyvanse, and it is a miracle worker. He hasn't had any problems with anxiety, loss of sleep or growth issues. the only thing we have to watch is that he gets a lot of protein at breakfast, and then something easy to eat mid day. By dinner he is back to normal hunger levels.

I have found that if he doesn't take in enough calories during the day, the headaches, anxiety, and stomach problems creep in almost instantly. As long as I can get enough nutrients and water in him he has few to no side effects.

All of the other stimulants we tried were horrible, he was angry, weepy, more distracted, and in the case of Concentra, downright aggressive.

On rougher days, or when we have something I know is likely to cause a meltdown he also has some coffee, or sometimes a 5 hour energy, which is mostly a large dose of B vitamins, and a little caffeine. Both help a lot if used sparingly.

Big did ok on Vvanse -- better than other stim -- but it just wasn't cutting it

he is on Strattera and low does of tenex in the afternoon. we were (still are, kinda) haveing a 'drop off'' about 3 or 3:30 when he'd start to get really agitated and stressed and moody. thus the addition of the afternoon medication.

it is working, i can see a real difference in school. -- i have to say I think the Vvyance did more for his attention. he'd sit and color and create "books" for literally hours on it. he still does well in school on the strattera ... who knows maybe it is better he not attend to a task quite like he was on the stim medication -- that was pushing the OCD line and he 'tends towards OCD anyway -- so i guess he is better off with a little less focus / attention to task. LOL

it is not perfect, may never be, there is still a lot of agitation and a lot of 'being stressed or tense".

we keep working.

right now i am glad he is doing ok and stable since we move in Oct and then again in March -- i need him stable. :0)

the title says it all.

we have tired GUANFACINE - ORAL (Tenex) and may go back, but it seemed to sedate him a great deal (falling asleep at 3 pm and staying asleep till 10, going back to bed by 11 and so on).

Anything else?

Have you tried giving it to him in the evening? My DD takes it before she goes to bed. That is actually how it was recommended. I'm happier with the results of Tenex over Intuniv.