Menu

went to the dr.

If anyone is following my current medical saga. The arm is officially diagnosed as frozen shoulder along with the torn tendon.

I was given an injection of cortizone and the doc wants range of motion back before treating the tendon.

I'm in horrible pain after both the shot and the manipulating of the arm even though he never moved it past what I can move it. Of course I can't take most of the "good" pain meds since I'm allergic to them. So I'm waiting for a bunch of OTC stuff to work.

Right now I'm in bed since it is the most comfortable place to be. I've my arm propped up on pillows and hoping it will subside to a dull ache soon.

Luckily typing isn't taking too much out of me. LOL

Ask them about a TENS machine. For some folks, it really helps w/the pain. Also, I find heating pads can help a bit...a warm bath too, *but* for me, the temp diff btwn the bath and normal air just made things worse after.

My 'good' drug requires an antinauseant that they Rx for chemo patients, and a Rx for an antihistamine since Benadryl wasn't enough to keep me from trying to claw my skin off.

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure the pain is just the cortisone working.

Oh, and I embarrassed myself to no end. Apparently I have a cortisone sensitivity. The first time I had a shot of it was in my knee. I watched the doc do that and thought the almost passing out and nausea was from watching.

No, I just react badly to cortisone. The same thing happened today. I'm sure they thought I was being a drama queen. Most embarrassing. :blushing:

No, I just react badly to cortisone. The same thing happened today. I'm sure they thought I was being a drama queen. Most embarrassing. :blushing:

Not as embarrassing as kicking the doctor across the room (no joke). He put it in my file that next time I had to be restrained. For some reason I never went back to him. . . The actual kick was instinctual - the fight part of the flight/fight response to the intense pain.

I had a frozen shoulder after an untreated skating injury.

I passed out cold from the cortisone shot, plus I think it put me in more pain.

I went to physical therapy for probably 7-8 months, then it took several more months before it began to feel normal again.

Its been several years now and I can finally raise my arm up over head.

Not as embarrassing as kicking the doctor across the room (no joke). He put it in my file that next time I had to be restrained. For some reason I never went back to him. . . The actual kick was instinctual - the fight part of the flight/fight response to the intense pain.

Oh, my!

No, I don't blame you for to going back.

My mom had a frozen shoulder once. She said that when the brand spanking new shadowing doctor wannabe moved her arm into a position that was unnatural for anyone much less someone with a frozen shoulder her screams could be heard in the building across the street.

I had a frozen shoulder after an untreated skating injury.

I passed out cold from the cortisone shot, plus I think it put me in more pain.

I went to physical therapy for probably 7-8 months, then it took several more months before it began to feel normal again.

Its been several years now and I can finally raise my arm up over head.

Well, I'm in good company then. :D

Hopefully I'll be able to get it moving sooner than 8 months. I have a house to help dh build soon.

I so hope that the cortisone helps quickly. When I had mine earlier this month I thought I was going to die (pain in shoulder much worse) for about two days and then on the fourth day after, I suddenly realized that I hadn't had any motrin for two days which was the longest I had gone in a few months! Hang in there!

Did they give you some exercises to do or do you have to go to PT? I've been doing some exercises for two weeks and have only a few positions that still give me fits.

Ouch! That sounds like ir was painful! How are you now? What is the treatment plan? PT then surgery for the tendon?

Would an osteopath help with a frozen shoulder? MarianNova recommended I try one for my ankle sprain with extensive ligament injury. I admit I was a skeptic but trusted my hive friend enough to give it a try. What a HUGE difference he made!

Please update us all here and PM me with plans for this summer.

Hope you are feeling better!!!:grouphug:

I so hope that the cortisone helps quickly. When I had mine earlier this month I thought I was going to die (pain in shoulder much worse) for about two days and then on the fourth day after, I suddenly realized that I hadn't had any motrin for two days which was the longest I had gone in a few months! Hang in there!

Did they give you some exercises to do or do you have to go to PT? I've been doing some exercises for two weeks and have only a few positions that still give me fits.

The cortisone didn't seem to do anything.

I went to PT today and have to go back Friday. Seems I require 3 days a week for therapy. Between dh's therapy and mine it is going to cost us $320 a month for the co-pay.

The guy gave me exercises and a pulley thing I have to set up. I'm supposed to do my exercises 5-6 times a day. I don't know how I'm going to do those and get my Hive time in. Maybe the housework will have to suffer.

Ouch! That sounds like ir was painful! How are you now? What is the treatment plan? PT then surgery for the tendon?

Would an osteopath help with a frozen shoulder? MarianNova recommended I try one for my ankle sprain with extensive ligament injury. I admit I was a skeptic but trusted my hive friend enough to give it a try. What a HUGE difference he made!

Please update us all here and PM me with plans for this summer.

Hope you are feeling better!!!:grouphug:

The therapist looked at the MRI and the tendon tear is actually pretty small. I got more info out of him than the doc.

Don't know about the osteopath. I'll check with Mariann.

Okay. I'll get busy with the PM.

I went to PT today and have to go back Friday. Seems I require 3 days a week for therapy. Between dh's therapy and mine it is going to cost us $320 a month for the co-pay.

The guy gave me exercises and a pulley thing I have to set up. I'm supposed to do my exercises 5-6 times a day. I don't know how I'm going to do those and get my Hive time in. Maybe the housework will have to suffer.

You've got your priorities in the right order! :lol:

Glad to hear it's a small tear - hopefully it will heal on its own.

I agree, housework will have to suffer.:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry about everything else. :sad: It really stinks.

The therapist looked at the MRI and the tendon tear is actually pretty small. I got more info out of him than the doc.

Don't know about the osteopath. I'll check with Mariann.

Okay. I'll get busy with the PM.

The osteopath was a miracle cure for me! Really!