Menu

What's the best way to get rid of a pool table?

We have listed our house. We plan to downsize some when we move, although we aren't sure of that. If we do, the pool table is likely the first thing to be culled, furniture-wise. I would just leave it in our existing house and offer it to a buyer, but it is kind of in an unconventional place to begin with. So, if I wanted to get rid of it, how would I do that? I understand they are awfully hard to move. We had it delivered by the pool table place.

We were the "lucky buyers" who had to pay extra for the pool table to get the house (there was a competing buyer). To get rid of the pool table, we gave it to the neighbors across the street for free, and they paid for the billiards company to come move it out of our basement and into theirs. It was the kind that had to be professionally moved because it had three heavy pieces of slate that had to be moved separately and then have the felt top installed. It was a shame to give it away for free because it was an expensive table, but this was our golden opportunity to get rid of it, and a great deal for the neighbors who got a very nice pool table just for the cost of having it moved and set up.

If you can't find a buyer, you might try the following:

- call some of your local pool table retailers and ask whether they would like to pick up the pool table for resale. If they sell used pool tables, they may be willing to pick it up for free.

- or, post it to your town's Freecycle list. It's a list where people post items they're giving away - I've been able to offload all kinds of stuff through this site. http://Www.Freecycle.org

I agree.... craigslist or free cycle....

We bought a real slate top one and we moved it ourselves, it wasn't that bad, but you have to take it apart & reassemble at the new home. Obviously with heavy slate slabs you need two strongish people to help. :)