Menu

Read Alouds that your child loves...that make you want to gag

Critterfixer

Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and things that go. I have a thin tolerance for the style of Scarry's books, generally, but it's balanced by the fact that I do think they are classics for little kids. But ds went through a phase from age 2-3 where he would drag out Cars and Trucks and things that go every single day. And that book is long. And it is boring. And I felt guilty if I didn't read every single weird car name (cheese car. Banamobile. Doughnut car. Old time buggy.). And find that stupid goldbug on every stinkin' page! Reading it ate up all our afternoon book time. And he would scream for it again, and again...

My current hated book is Disney bedtime stories. It's big, thick, and full of horrid writing and ds would listen to it for an hour if I'd read it. I am still kicking myself for grabbing it impulsively off the display at Sams while shopping with my mom. I usually buy classics and books from lists like Honey for a Child's Heart, or use our SL books or books SL moms recommend. But i was in a particular mood that day and now im paying the price. My most hated stories in it are the butchered sequels to Cars and Toy Story 2. Awful!!

These aren't things my kids love, but things I hate:

Berenstain Bears

Curious George

Anything that's just a gimmick surrounding a TV show or movie

My oldest dd loved books like "Martha Speaks," with lots of speech bubbles placed randomly around the pages. I can't stand reading that type of book. Magic School Bus books would be another example. Normally I am a non-linear thinker, but when it comes to reading, I mostly want to go from Point A to Point B.

My dh refuses to read any story that builds on itself, such as The House That Jack Built. He just can't handle the repitition. But, you know, some kids LOOOOOOVE books like this. So, guess who reads them out loud? I don't mind, mostly.

Edited by Alphabetika

Five Little Peppers.

I HATED that book. I hid that book in all kinds of places but they always managed to find it!:lol: Luckily I found it in audio book at the library so they got to finish it (but I didn't have to!)

I hated that one too. And my kids hated it. I kept expecting it to get better because I've heard it recommended so often. It was an audiobook in the car, or I'm sure we all would've chucked it before it was finished.

Magic Treehouse series. I might as well use them for a case study on sentence fragments!

:iagree::iagree::iagree: How true, how true.

I categorically refuse to read early readers out loud, though. The whole point of those is easy words/sentences for the kids to read. I can already read, and the kid can already understand real language and longer words/sentences. Those books are for the kids to read alone. Without me. :ack2:

I may have made an exception for Little Bear. :001_wub:

Well, as much as MTH has choppy sentences, it's the first chapter book dd4 can listen to read aloud. This is the first time she's excited and listening to a book that is not a picture book - woohoo :) We are reading it as part of a book club.

I did not like to read Just So Stories out loud! I passed it to dh. He didn't mind. I read Wrinkle in Time to myself and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Ds may not even get to read it. Too many good books. He recently dropped Swallows and Amazons (he could, it was a choice for summer reading). He told me it was sort of boring, and he may be readier for it next year :)

I like Librivox. Not sure I would like reading The Wizard of Oz aloud.

That said, we enjoyed Mr. Popper's Penguins and My Father's Dragons. I'll let the British lady read The Secret Garden to us.

I agree with Just So Stories.

Well, as much as MTH has choppy sentences, it's the first chapter book dd4 can listen to read aloud. This is the first time she's excited and listening to a book that is not a picture book - woohoo :) We are reading it as part of a book club.

I did not like to read Just So Stories out loud! I passed it to dh. He didn't mind. I read Wrinkle in Time to myself and couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Ds may not even get to read it. Too many good books. He recently dropped Swallows and Amazons (he could, it was a choice for summer reading). He told me it was sort of boring, and he may be readier for it next year :)

I like Librivox. Not sure I would like reading The Wizard of Oz aloud.

That said, we enjoyed Mr. Popper's Penguins and My Father's Dragons. I'll let the British lady read The Secret Garden to us.

My Father's Dragon -no idea why everyone else loves it so -both my kids and I agreed to ditch it after the first 2 chapters.

So funny -- last night at dinner, my son was telling me he wished there were more of those books.

I don't often read Richard Scarry books aloud. I think those are books to peer at on one's own.

Wait, are you ladies not discussing the Andrew Lang books?

No. The RF books are fine for kids just starting to read slightly longer chapter books than MTH, but should never, ever be read aloud. Ever.

Edited by nmoira

Wait, are you ladies not discussing the Andrew Lang books?

I think I was the only one who suggested them. I find the Dover editions very hard on my eyes and very, very long. For these, I <3 Librivox, even though there are some weird mispronunciations (such as of "hitherto"!).

I think I was the only one who suggested them. I find the Dover editions very hard on my eyes and very, very long. For these, I <3 Librivox, even though there are some weird mispronunciations (such as of "hitherto"!).

Yes! I don't read them, but son has listened to all the ones Librivox has. I don't know what I would do without Librivox! We do have a vintage reader that contains some of the stories.