Menu

Online Home Schooling

Anyone use this? I think here in Ga its called Connections Academy. I like it because she still has a teacher but she can also learn Chinese and Spanish in Elementary school which is awesome! She schools from home and I can keep an eye on her the entire time as well...so any opinions of it?

I have just completed the registration process for Connections Academy through Florida this week. We are currently experiencing some life circumstances that require this take on their education. I, too, have been scouring the internet trying find first hand experiences with it. I just want to understand how it 'works." I know it's public school, with a teacher, and assignments, blah blah blah. But, what does a typical day look like? I have read and heard alot about "individualized learning" from various resources about FLVS/ Connections Academy, but at the same time- they are a public school on a traditional calendar and GASP- my kids will take the FCAT for the first time in their life. No, the world wount come to a screeching halt and I don't really care what kind of scores they get. But, it will be nice in the end, to have some other input into their academic standing.

I do know that even though it is Connections Academy, the experience can vary by state/ district that is using it. Try to find someone in your area that has done it. Connections Academy seems to have alot of "extra" experiences for them including clubs, organized field trips, and you will get a notice about the Sports, Fine Arts, and STEM Academies for 6-12 grade students- seems quite awesome to me.

Don't know if you have registered yet, but the online registration- and what appears the interface you will use once registered- is awesome. I have recieved quick responses and fast turn around time with document uploads. That alone has impressed me.

Just my 2 cents.

My dd just finished a year of pa connections. I did not find it individualized at all. She was supposed to be in a lower level math and and master the 4 operations. The only change was that she was allowed to skip lessons that were hard. I worked with her on math facts because it was not built into her school day at all.

I am homeschooling both this year because it did not like i had hoped. It was a decent transition year. I learned dd's weaknesses and strenghts by helping her daily. I learned just how messed up the grading is in PSs. I also learned that dd has no motivation to learn! I have a lot of work to do this year.

Thanks for the replies. I am frustrated my son isn't potty trained yet so can't send him to headstart and he is such a handful I must watch like a hawk that I am having to send daughter to PS this year...I hate to do it,she is thrilled of course but I am not...this seems like a good alternative...

GA also has k12 offered to you. I haven't used either. I personally didn't like the intrusion of vaccine records, etc. that is still required if they are using these programs. I also cringed at the thought of four kids logging in and getting enough time on the computer daily to complete assignments, etc.

My older dd did 6th grade this past year through connections academy. There are positives and negatives to it just like any thing else.

History:

We had an excellent teacher who was so helpful. She made her live lesson engaging and really encouraged the children. The reading was dry but my dd enjoyed the projects.

Math:

Again an excellent teacher who had the children do problems during live lessons. My dd is good in math and the problems online were enough practice for her. But a child who needed more had exercises in the book and a workbook as well.

Science:

We got a new teacher 9 weeks in. The first teacher was good and the second was OK. Live lessons were a bit dull, lots of vocabulary and dull reading. She did OK.

Language arts:

The emphasis was on reading comprehension and vocabulary. Again we got a new teacher 9 weeks in. Old teacher was harried, new teacher had very confused live lesson. All but 4 writing assignments were dropped--I was very dissapointed because the main reason we did this program was to get help with writing. Grammar was included but not thorough. There was no spelling at this level.

Practice for State Testing:

A big pain and did not really prepare my child. Again, we only did 1 writing assginment. We did 1 math and 1 language arts topic each week. I was dismissed when I told them that my dd was not ready for the state test.

Technology:

Was mostly about bullying and busy work. Never saw the teacher and it was the same way with art and physical ed/health. Mainly just reading and quizes.

Overall:

She learned a lot but it was very inflexible. The fist semester the average day was 5-7 hours. It always seems like all the portfolios and tests happen at the same time and these make for very long days or you get behind. In the second semester I found it best to double up quick check lessons when they were completed quickly. So that we had plenty of time (think hours and days) to complete portfolio assignments or tests. Tests sometimes take more than an hour for her.

Are we doing it this year?

No, we are joining the co-op instead.

Would we do it again?

It really depends on our needs at the time. I wouldn't rule it out because some things were great and others not so much and a lot of it was just who we got for a teacher.

:001_smile:

Thanks for the replies. I am frustrated my son isn't potty trained yet so can't send him to headstart and he is such a handful I must watch like a hawk that I am having to send daughter to PS this year...I hate to do it,she is thrilled of course but I am not...this seems like a good alternative...

Actually, Headstart can't turn away qualified children because they aren't potty trained. We're going through this right now.