Menu

Study shows germiest surfaces in hotel rooms....yuck!

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/15/12241651-germiest-hot-spots-in-hotels-tv-remote-light-switch-study-finds?lite&ocid=mobmsnbc11

The first thing my mom does when she enters a hotel room is cover the remote control for the tv. She uses an ice bag or shower cap provided by the hotel.

I'm definitely taking Clorox wipes next time to clean the light switch and bathroom sink.

Do you have any tips for killing germs when traveling?

My husband brings ziplocs and immediately puts the remote in there. He then removes the bedspread and chucks it in the corner. Sheets get changed...bedspread does not:tongue_smilie:

Then he clorox wipes all the handles /knobs/ controls like light switches or door handles/ dresser handles.

I used to think he was crazy...but I definitely get it now! Eeeeeeewwwwww!! Gross!

My husband brings ziplocs and immediately puts the remote in there. He then removes the bedspread and chucks it in the corner. Sheets get changed...bedspread does not:tongue_smilie:

Then he clorox wipes all the handles /knobs/ controls like light switches or door handles/ dresser handles.

I used to think he was crazy...but I definitely get it now! Eeeeeeewwwwww!! Gross!

I am right there with your husband about the bedspread/comforter. The idea that they don't wash those things and who knows who was doing who knows what on it completely and utterly grosses me out. I usually just fold it up at the end of the bed and use my own comforter from home, but for now on I'm going to chuck it into the corner too!:lol:

Lisa

I bring a can of Lysol/Dettol and spray everything down. Anything someone might touch. Then I open the window and leave for a half hour. Then we move in.

I spray pillows and sheets. Most bathroom surfaces. Light switches, doors, the desk top, and remote. The zip lock bag idea is great -- from now on i will do that. I use about a half can per check in. My family tolerates it--we also wear flip flops to shower.

Anyway I don't feel as nuts now.:001_smile:

I've noticed that most hotels no longer have bedspreads. Instead, there is long rectangular bit of decorative cloth at the foot of the bed. (I put that in the closet, out of the way, as it serves no purpose, and just ends sliding up on the floor if you leave it on the bed.)

I'm sure it's to cut down on laundry. They aren't large enough to use as a blanket/covering. An extra blanket is usually in a plastic bag, in the closet, along with an extra pillow or two.

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't worry about it. Yes, there are germs everywhere. Yes, our bodies are very efficient at dealing with germs.

Laura

:iagree:Over paranoia about germs...especially with children...is actually counter-productive. Kids who aren't allowed to "eat their pound of dirt" actually get sick far more often than those who are.

I do this, too. I also spray this cinnamon bed bug spray all around the beds and most of the carpet. Oh, and I try and keep all bags with clothing (suitcases, duffels, dirty clothes bags) off the floor. And we don't use any of the non-disposable drinking glasses in the room (ugh, the news story I watched about that).

:iagree:Over paranoia about germs...especially with children...is actually counter-productive. Kids who aren't allowed to "eat their pound of dirt" actually get sick far more often than those who are.

I agree, but there is something totally different to me about hotel rooms and public restrooms. Maybe it is because we are actually "living" in the hotel for a few days.

I have four little ones who are forever putting things in their mouths, including the hotel room remote control and telephone (over and over. So, the hotel room is where I want to be a little more careful.

They get their share of germs at the playground, shopping carts, off of public floors, etc. ;) I don't walk around slathering them with sanitizing gel. I am all for building their immune systems, and I know they are everywhere, but the hotel room germs gross me out the most.

I agree, but there is something totally different to me about hotel rooms and public restrooms. Maybe it is because we are actually "living" in the hotel for a few days.

My boys' immune systems would find any Western hotel very comfortable. It doesn't worry me.

Laura

My boys' immune systems would find any Western hotel very comfortable. It doesn't worry me.

My favorite way to torment my husband is, when we travel in his country of origin, to offer to buy him fruit salad off the street. It comes from a big vat of chopped up fruit and is served in a communal cup. Heh heh.

If one travels frequently, you just get used to certain things. We've never had any health problems related to hotels, knock wood, I guess, and we have all logged 100s (thousands? esp for dh) of hours in hotel rooms. I don't worry, although I have been known to use a cotton ball and nail polish remover to wipe some surfaces. ;) Gotta be careful, however. Vodka can work in a pinch as well. ;)

We stayed in an absolutely disgusting hotel one night (got in about 2 am, the middle of nowhere, and needed to shower and travel to a wedding the next day. ) None of us slept well, but we needed the hot water. We stripped the sheets, and used the blankets from our car. We still laugh (wasn't funny then-- I actually cried) about the horror of it. I spent about 45 minutes looking for signs of bedbugs, even as my family fitfully slept. I still can't believe there weren't any. Small blessing.

Still, none of the 6 of us got sick. We were up, showered and out by 7. I wrote a scathing review of the place on Travelocity when we got back. Never did I feel so good about a piece of writing. lol

EDT: I did once get a letter from a posh hotel saying that some people had been exposed to a bacteria found in the water source during the time of our stay. We bathed and showered in this water. We did not drink the water, although we did brush our teeth. We must have stomachs of iron, as dh and I were there several days and at no time felt ill. No issues at all.

Edited by LibraryLover

I saw some news show that if there are drinking glasses that are glass, they aren't always washed.

There was some news expose' on that. The maids would come into the room and either dry the wet glass out and flip it over to make it look "new" or would spray a little Windex on it or wipe with a damp (damp from what, I ask) cloth and flip it over. It was all based on appearance. If the glass LOOKED clean... We don't use those glasses. We will use disposable plastic cups or if the room has a dishwasher, we'll run them through the cycle.

We wipe down remotes and handles. Newspaper bags (like what people pick up dog poop in) are good for the remote but I always forget to pack them.

We put the bedspreads on the floor.

We wipe down handles, light switches, toilet seats, remotes, phones etc...And we also toss the bedspreads in the corner.

My dh has had MRSA twice and dd has asthma. So in hotels we are careful. If I KNEW that hotels were actually CLEANING the rooms instead of tidying up and vacuuming, then I wouldn't be concerned. I mean, how can the maids possibly disinfect everything when they have to have all rooms of the hotel cleaned and ready for new guests between an 11 a.m. checkout and 3 p.m. check in.

I also disinfect when we ride on airplanes. You would be amazed at the filth that I find on a disinfecting wipe from the arm rests, seat belt buckles, and tray tables. Yucky.