Menu

can we talk health again???

I'm still struggling with finding a health curriculum and/or book(s) I like. I know what I don't want:

1. a biology class. We already did A/P. I don't want to repeat it. A brief refresher would be fine. It would be great in a health oriented way, just not a biology class.

2. books that spend chapters talking about necessity for taking a shower, brushing teeth and brushing hair. We got that down a few years ago.....

3. make up how to book. We have checked out several books from the library and have gone to make up/skin care classes already

4. how to dress. I do not want an out of date book talking about how to select clothing based on body type or worse, talking about how girls should only wear dresses and never, ever consider bathing suits.

What I do want:

1. health!!!! What are communicable diseases, how to avoid and prevent illness, when to see a doctor, etc.

2. proper nutrition and exercise

3. first aid

4. disaster preparedness (hurricanes, tornadoes, wild fires, etc)

5. basic personal safety including household safety, fire prevention, food safety, etc.

Does this exist? We have Total Health and it is an okay spine, but it is not quite what I want. I don't want something like Abeka either. Yes, I read the thread comparing the 2 curriculums. I even responded to that one. I do have a bunch of books to suppliment Total Health. I'm just getting bogged down creating my own program.

Can anyone recommend titles??

We did Total Health for junior high, but I think for their high school health credit, I'm going to do a more "living books" approach. :D I'm thinking of adding a First Aid/CPR course to a bunch of books on real food and natural health with some random readings in healthy relationships, child safety, and the phases of a woman's life.

I just couldn't find a text that wasn't too basic. Like you, we don't need the hygiene or biology.

I'm still struggling with finding a health curriculum and/or book(s) I like. I know what I don't want:

1. a biology class. We already did A/P. I don't want to repeat it. A brief refresher would be fine. It would be great in a health oriented way, just not a biology class.

2. books that spend chapters talking about necessity for taking a shower, brushing teeth and brushing hair. We got that down a few years ago.....

3. make up how to book. We have checked out several books from the library and have gone to make up/skin care classes already

4. how to dress. I do not want an out of date book talking about how to select clothing based on body type or worse, talking about how girls should only wear dresses and never, ever consider bathing suits.

What I do want:

1. health!!!! What are communicable diseases, how to avoid and prevent illness, when to see a doctor, etc.

3. first aid

5. basic personal safety including household safety, fire prevention, food safety, etc.

Does this exist? We have Total Health and it is an okay spine, but it is not quite what I want. I don't want something like Abeka either. Yes, I read the thread comparing the 2 curriculums. I even responded to that one. I do have a bunch of books to suppliment Total Health. I'm just getting bogged down creating my own program.

I do not think it does.

We did Total Health for junior high, but I think for their high school health credit, I'm going to do a more "living books" approach. :D I'm thinking of adding a First Aid/CPR course to a bunch of books on real food and natural health with some random readings in healthy relationships, child safety, and the phases of a woman's life.

I just couldn't find a text that wasn't too basic. Like you, we don't need the hygiene or biology.

Yes, this is it exactly!!! Do you have any titles of any books you have found?

Yes, this is it exactly!!! Do you have any titles of any books you have found?

I'm finishing off my 9 yo's lesson plans first, while I wait to see how my older dds' outside classes shake out, so I haven't really started on it. I know I want to include some Pollan and Taubes books, and I know they will do the CPR/First Aid cert, but that's as far as I have planned so far. :( I know there are some recommendations in TODKAH, and I need to look those up.

I'm having dd do Alpha Omega's Health this summer. She'll start it in July. It has 5 workbooks to go through, and the first one is anatomy, but the rest cover some of what you've listed. Here is AO's scope and sequence. High school health is on page 31, but you would get more detail if you looked at the table of contents for each book here. You will have to look at the sample pages under each book's page.

What I do want:

3. first aid

Lifepac high school health program! I believe there is one Lifepac in the bunch that talks about mental health, but the rest cover pretty much everything you are looking for.

We're going to be using the following: Concepts of Physical Fitness: Active Lifestyles for Wellness, 11th Edition, by Charles B. Corbin, Gregory J. Welk, Ruth Lindsey and William R. Corbin, McGraw-Hill, 2003. Here's the table of contents:

Section I Lifestyles for Health, Fitness, and Wellness

· Concept 1 Health, Wellness, Fitness, and Healthy Lifestyles: An Introduction

· Concept 2 Using Self-Management Skills to Adhere to Healthy Lifestyle Behaviors

Section II An Introduction to Physical Activity

· Concept 3 Preparing for Physical Activity

· Concept 4 How Much Physical Activity is Enough?

· Concept 5 Learning Self-Planning Skills for Lifetime Physical Activity

Section III The Physical Activity Pyramid

· Concept 6 The Health Benefits of Physical Activity

· Concept 7 Lifestyle Physical Activity

· Concept 8 Cardiovascular Fitness

· Concept 9 Active Aerobics, Sports, and Recreational Activities

· Concept 10 Flexibility

· Concept 11 Muscle Fitness

Section IV Physical Activity: Special Considerations

· Concept 12 Safe Physical Activity and Exercise

· Concept 13 Body Mechanics: Posture and Care of the Back and Neck

· Concept 14 Performance Benefits of Physical Activity

Section V Nutrition and Body Composition

· Concept 15 Body Composition

· Concept 16 Nutrition

· Concept 17 Managing Diet and Activity for Healthy Body Fatness

Section VI Stress Management

· Concept 18 Stress and Health

· Concept 19 Stress Management, Relaxation, and Time Management

Section VII Making Informed Choices

· Concept 20 Recognizing Quackery

· Concept 21 Toward Healthy Active Living

I haven't used the book yet, but plan to over the summer. It's a college level text, and it's available cheaply on Amazon (esp. the older versions). It also has some companion websites for some of the editions, but much of the info is generic enough to use no matter what edition you're using. Here are some websites that correlate:

· http://gwelk.pageout.net/page.dyn/student/course/notes_frame?url_link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mhhe.com%2Fhper%2Fphysed%2Fclw%2Fstudent3%2Folc%2Fchapterindex01.htm&course_id=34094 (chapter by chapter resources: outline/summary, flashcards, quiz, questions, etc.)

· College Syllabus: http://gwelk.pageout.net/page.dyn/student/course/object_list?session_id=28172&course_id=34094

· Web review of each chapter for students: http://www.mhhe.com/hper/physed/clw/student/

· http://www.mhhe.com/hper/physed/clw/student10/olc/

And here are some additional resources I might also use:

• Websites:

[*]Books:

• The Omnivore’s Dilemma (Young Readers Edition) by Michael Pollan
    • In Defense of Food, Michael Pollan

[*]Movies:

• The Great Courses: The Myths of Nutrition & Fitness
    • Supersize Me (TWM lesson plan available here; inexpensive annual subscription required): https://teachwithmovies.com/members/best-health-hs.html )
    • Outbreak (TWM lesson plan on infectious disease also available)
    • Food Inc. (Amazon Instant Video: $2.99 rental)
    • Fast Food Nation (Amazon Instant Video: $2.99 rental)

Hope this helps!

Abeka actually does cover a bit of what you're looking for. You just might want to skip over the anatomy aspect if you feel it doesn't fit in.

When my guys were finished with Abeka we continued reading Nutrition Action magazine. It's a no-ad monthly magazine/healthletter covering the latest in research (summaries) about health and always has a central main topic. It's been incredibly informative and it's short. It also has recipes...

Here's a link:

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/index.htm