AngieW in Texas Posted June 17, 2012 Share Posted June 17, 2012 (edited) Our golden retriver had her regular vet appointment on Wednesday and got bordetella, parvo, and lepto shots. Since then, she has not had much interest in food. I took her to the vet on Friday afternoon because she threw up several times on Friday morning and wouldn't eat anything that day. The vet said that it was probably a vaccine reaction and gave her a steroid shot and a benadryl shot. She also gave us a prescription for serenia (sp?) and we give that to her 1x/day. I am also supposed to give her 3 benadryl tablets 2x/day in the EN canned food that they gave me. She was doing very well yesterday and ate all her food. Today she doesn't want to touch her food and my 16yo said that Goldie woke her up 3x last night to go to the bathroom. She isn't acting off. Should I take her to the emergency vet today or wait until Monday morning to take her to the regular vet. She is 9yo. ETA: Update I ended up waiting until this morning (Monday) to take her to the vet. She was there all day. After x-rays, ultrasound, and bloodwork, we still don't know what's wrong. Her red and white blood cell counts were low, but everything else was normal. All I got into her on Sunday was one can of EN diet (she should have had 4 cans). This morning, I got her to eat 1/2 of a can by feeding it to her by the spoonful. This evening, she ate 1/2 can of EN diet and 1 cup of Royal Canin hypoallergenic kibble (prescription only). She isn't on any medication. They did more bloodwork that they sent off. We won't get those results until tomorrow. ETA: 2nd Update Talked to vet. She said that since Goldie is eating again and is not vomiting or having diarrhea, we should wait two weeks and then do bloodwork again to see if her blood counts are still low. In the new bloodwork they did that I was waiting for the results of, her platelets were low too, but just below the borderline for normal. Everything else (aside from red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets) was normal. If she starts having any issues, we need to take her in again. We also need to keep her away from other dogs for now because she is susceptible to infection. Edited June 20, 2012 by AngieW in Texas Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.