Menu

Can you look at my 2nd grade Language arts plan

julie4

This is my plan for my 2nd grader, she is fairly strong in LA and really enoys writing, phonics and handwriting.

First Language Lessons 2

Writing With Ease 2

AAS- (our first year so plan is to start level 1)

Prima Latina

Pentime handwriting

And I was thinking about adding some independent phonics work like R&S or ETC for extra practice and for independent time when I'm with my other kids- she loves workbooks.

Do you think this is complete? Too much?

Thank you.

Edited by julie4

AAS 1 will be below her level if she is doing FLL 2 and WWE 2. The level would be closer to AAS 3. In AAS 1 you will start with letter sounds, sounds like she is past that! If she is a strong reader ETC might not be necessary especially since AAS has a lot of phonics in it. HTH!

It looks good, similar to our plan. Just be sure they are reading lots and being read to and you should be great! As far as ETC, we use it, but I am not really sure how much dd gets out of it. I need it just to feel reassured that we covered all the phonics bases. ;) dd likes it though and ir is completely independent so that helps...

I know sometimes it helps to know what others are doing so I will include that.

WWE 2

FLL 2

ZB 2 C

AAS 3-4

Sonlight readers

ETC 6-8

AAS 1 will be below her level if she is doing FLL 2 and WWE 2. The level would be closer to AAS 3. In AAS 1 you will start with letter sounds, sounds like she is past that! If she is a strong reader ETC might not be necessary especially since AAS has a lot of phonics in it. HTH!

It is actually necessary to start at AAS 1 if you use the program, but you can move quickly through the early levels. :001_smile:

It is actually necessary to start at AAS 1 if you use the program, but you can move quickly through the early levels. :001_smile:

:iagree: There are rules in levels 1 and 2 that most kids need covered, especially when to use c or k at beginnings of words, k or ck at end of words and a lot more. Level 2 goes over ou/ow, au/aw, and others like this.

Yes, from everything I read, they said start with level 1 no matter the age/grade and just move through it quickly.

Thanks to everyone who replied. :001_smile:

Your plan looks great. If she likes workbooks and doesn't mind ETC, you can continue with these. I usually do the first three to get them reading and then have them read a lot out loud to cement things (mine don't like workbooks). You won't need R&S if you're doing FLL.

You should start AAS in Level 1, but you'll probably finish 3 levels this year. Starting in Level 2 you'll be dictating sentences, which you can use as spelling and handwriting practice.

If you start cursive this year, you can get the cursive copybook for Prima Latina and double up there too!

Second grade is a great time to cement basic skills before the work picks up in third grade. Enjoy!

Your plan looks great. If she likes workbooks and doesn't mind ETC, you can continue with these. I usually do the first three to get them reading and then have them read a lot out loud to cement things (mine don't like workbooks). You won't need R&S if you're doing FLL.

You should start AAS in Level 1, but you'll probably finish 3 levels this year. Starting in Level 2 you'll be dictating sentences, which you can use as spelling and handwriting practice.

If you start cursive this year, you can get the cursive copybook for Prima Latina and double up there too!

Second grade is a great time to cement basic skills before the work picks up in third grade. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the great tips!!

If your daughter enjoys writing, you may want to add something which will give her the opportunity to be creative. Winning With Writing level 3 would be simple to add, teaches valuable writing skills, and provides opportunity to write creatively within a structure.