Menu

Do you let your children take things apart? If so, what sort of items?

I read an article that encouraged parents to allow their children to take things apart. It said that this was a good way for them to puzzle things out, even if they couldn't put it back together in working order. I know my youngest would love to do this sort of thing, and might even get most of it back together, but I'm at a loss for what items to look for to offer him. Also, what tools would a child use for this (supervised, of course)? This isn't my area of expertise, I'm not mechanically minded in the least, but he most certainly is. Every time a repairman or trademan of any kind comes to the house he is glued to them. He wants to watch them and ask what they are doing, what their tools do, and such.

I always let my oldest son take things apart when he was little. I would get broken appliances or electronics and hand him some screwdrivers, pliers and other tools. It would keep him busy for hours. He just graduated from a very well respected college with a degree in electrical engineering.:001_smile:

My oldest has always been found taking things apart. Now that he is an 8th grader, it is really starting to pay off. When a kid in the neighborhood breaks a toy or needs a bike fixed--they come running to him. Even the other parents on the block will ask him to fix things.

But thank goodness he finally started putting things back together......

Old phones, toasters, coffee pots, radios, anything he can find that is broken except computer monitors. The old ones have a lot of lead in them, so I do not let him have those. So far we do not sbe any newer broken computer monitors lol. He must wear rubber gloves and a face mask, but he does not care as long as he gets to take stuff apart. :tongue_smilie:

what, depends upon age of child. toys, electronic toys, electronics, computers, small appliances, etc.

dh's grandfather bought many such items at thrift stores for fil to take apart.

1ds used to take computers apart and take pieces from one and combine them. he was early tween/teen.

always used regular screw drivers in multiple sizes, wrenches, etc.

ok, but how do I get my kid to release some of the clutter/junk after he has taken it apart and can not put it back together? There's about pounds of phones in his room that he has taken apart and tried to put back together repeatedly and he doesn't want to get rid of a single piece! I'm nervous to give him more items because I don't want to junk in my house forever.

Any suggestions?

ok, but how do I get my kid to release some of the clutter/junk after he has taken it apart and can not put it back together? There's about pounds of phones in his room that he has taken apart and tried to put back together repeatedly and he doesn't want to get rid of a single piece! I'm nervous to give him more items because I don't want to junk in my house forever.

Any suggestions?

Just tell him that's the price - if he want new stuff to take apart, he needs to toss the old stuff to make room. And then don't let him have anything new to take apart until he gets rid of the old stuff.

My kids take stuff apart too, pretty much anything broken. Old modems, alarm clock, toasters, hair dryers, whatever. Ask friends to save broken things for you if you run low - we always have a 'take-apart' box in the garage of various stuff. One time we had a furnace blower motor. That was done with dad's supervision out in the garage because it very oily!! :D